Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Running Mates

Running Mates
Dork.
Professional Poster
May 4, 2016, 08:29 PM

Now that the Presidential field seems set, both candidates need to turn their attention to picking a running mate. This is an important decision, especially for Donald J. Trump. Given Trump’s lack of political experience, he has already hinted that he would pick a running mate with experience in Washington. While it would be entertaining if he made it into a reality show (Presidential Apprentice?), I think he’ll have to pick his own running mate sooner than later.

The early money is on Chris Christie, but I don’t think that will work. Christie doesn’t really fit the role. (Literally! The Naval Observatory is the VP’s residence, and it isn’t all that big.) Christie and Trump are both Northeast Republicans, and most candidates try to avoid running mates from the same part of the country. Besides, Christie is much more familiar with Trenton than Washington.

I think Trump needs to look for someone who knows how Congress works, maybe someone who used to be in charge of the place. Since Trump wants to be fiscally responsible, maybe he can pick someone who has helped balance a budget or two in his day. To balance out the ticket, perhaps he should pick a Southerener…. from Georgia, maybe? And ideally, they should have some things in common to help them develop a bond and friendship. Since Trump has two ex-wives, maybe he can find another candidate with two ex-wives so they can commiserate about alimony. But perhaps most importantly for Donald Trump’s ego, he should find someone with as a strong a man-crush on him as I have for Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph. D……

The answer, of course, is Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph. D. I'm not the only one who has noticed the bromance that has been brewing between them. And let’s face it, is there anyone else on the planet who knows all about the Clintons’ dirty laundry? (Besides their Mexican maid, that is. You know they have one. Bill certainly has noticed!)

So, what do you think? Does Newton Leroy have one last campaign left in him?

(Of course, Hillary needs a running mate, too. Is Jon Stewart available?)

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2016, 08:49 PM

I think it's hard to get a feel for this until we see how Trump skews for the general. His policy is so off the rails, associating with him is a possible career ender.

The example I heard provided was bailing on NATO. No one who has an actual clue thinks this is a good idea. I know I don't think it's a good idea. If he wants this to happen, he's got to pick key cabinet members who are either...

1) His lap dog
2) Don't care about the sanity of a policy as long as they get to pull the strings

This is not who I want filling the SoS or SoD seats. I know you're talking veep, but I feel the same concepts apply. Who wants to go along with his shit except for people fine with ending the goddamn world?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2016, 09:13 AM

The problem for Trump is he could make the right decision but the person likely says no. If Christie ends up being VP it'll be because everyone else said no.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 10:15 AM

That was more or less the conclusion to draw from opinion two I posited above.

The only people who would agree to go along for the ride are those interested in power for power's sake. Even Christie doesn't strike me as that big of an asshole.

Almost no nationally known, successful face politician has that level of asshole quotient. It exists in politics, but from "power behind the throne" types, not the kings themselves.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 10:23 AM

The national face politician with the biggest asshole quotient?

Pretty sure that's Hillary.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2016, 10:35 AM

Huh?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2016, 10:37 AM

BTW I love the idea of Trump getting Jim Webb. Inserttrollsmilehere

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 10:41 AM

I'm saying Hillary is a bigger asshole than Christie.

I'm defining asshole in this context as someone more interested in getting power for its own sake as opposed to getting power so they can do something worthwhile.

These are the types of people Trump will attract... assholes.

The closest we have to an asshole of that caliber on the national stage is Clinton. Christie is a distant second.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
BTW I love the idea of Trump getting Jim Webb. Inserttrollsmilehere
I'm guess I could be proven wrong, but Jim is the opposite of what Trump wants or needs.

Jim is both an iconoclast, and has a record using his power for selfless purposes.

This is the guy who quit the Senate because he couldn't swing prison reform. This is your attack dog for building the Wall of America and ear tags on Muslims?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 10:48 AM

I just came up with the "Wall of America" thing... that's actually pro level work right there.

I'm not tooting my own horn. It was totally an accident.

andi*pandi
May 5, 2016, 10:50 AM

Please be Michelle Bachman.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 11:22 AM

I'm thinking he'll try and contrast himself by picking an adult.

The broader question is does he seal up the base, or pick someone who can successfully poach from Hillary.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 5, 2016, 01:01 PM

lBeen watching the political documentary "House of Cards" and that Frank Underwood seems solid. Maybe Hilary should pick him.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
May 5, 2016, 02:25 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2016, 07:50 PM

It would have to be someone who is willing to commit lifelong political suicide on a long shot.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2016, 08:08 PM

Dick Cheney?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 05:29 PM

I don't think Trump would be easy enough for him to manipulate.

P
May 8, 2016, 11:36 AM

I think he wants Kasich. I don't think Kasich wants it, though I could be wrong - haven't paid too much attention to the guy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2016, 04:53 PM

Palin or Bachman.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm saying Hillary is a bigger asshole than Christie.

I'm defining asshole in this context as someone more interested in getting power for its own sake as opposed to getting power so they can do something worthwhile.

These are the types of people Trump will attract... assholes.

The closest we have to an asshole of that caliber on the national stage is Clinton. Christie is a distant second.
How do you justify that? (Not the part about Trump attracting assholes, thats obviously true)

Most politicians are interested in power either for powers sake or for their own ends. I can't think of a single republican who I might believe had sought power in order to do something benevolent since maybe Lincoln.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2016, 08:19 PM

That last sentence is so outrageous, I'm not sure we have a common point of reference with which to discuss this.

I mean, I'm game, but I don't even know where I would start with a response to it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2016, 07:16 AM

That last sentence is so outrageous, I'm not sure we have a common point of reference with which to discuss this.

I mean, I'm game, but I don't even know where I would start with a response to it.
Start by naming a Republican who you think went into politics for benevolent reasons and why. Ie what they accomplished or tried to accomplish. More recent the better.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2016, 10:19 AM

Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D.

What he accomplished was to move the country closer to the ideal of governance he believed in.

Show me where the policies he enacted were instead for his personal gain. Was there some history professor subsidy he tried to float while I wasn't watching?

You can tell me to **** off here, but your initial statement implies you think it's impossible for a Republican to come by their position honestly... because of course if they were honest positions they'd be Democrats instead, right?

This is a cartoon view of American politics.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2016, 01:20 PM

How about going full reality stars and he picks Omarosa.

45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2016, 01:48 PM

Great rack.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2016, 08:25 PM

Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D.

What he accomplished was to move the country closer to the ideal of governance he believed in.

Show me where the policies he enacted were instead for his personal gain. Was there some history professor subsidy he tried to float while I wasn't watching?
I was expecting you to cite someone I hadn't heard of before. I have heard of Newt but I confess I know nothing of what he did or believed or said. That probably speaks to his credit.

Unless you feel like being specific about some of what he did I doubt I'll find the time to research it much I'm afraid. I don't about subsidies for history professors but I see at a glance that he was charged with an ethics violation for running a college course for political reasons.

You can tell me to **** off here, but your initial statement implies you think it's impossible for a Republican to come by their position honestly... because of course if they were honest positions they'd be Democrats instead, right?
Actually I suppose US Republicans are among a select few who can be honest about the fact they are assholes and still get elected. Of course many of those do eventually turn out to be philandering sex pests having run on a platform of family values but as I say, thats the sort of thing I expect from Democrats as well. You can cheat on your spouse and still do a lot of good for your country. If you hate black people or Mexicans or poor people or women or homosexuals, you are probably going to do something that will stain your record in the long term if you are allowed to get away with it.

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to be as concise as I'd like.

This is a cartoon view of American politics.

I absolutely get that there are decent, conservative or maybe libertarian people in America who are capable of being impartial, rational, sensible, who simply believe in the most basic ideals that the Republican party was supposed to stand for. Smaller government, greater personal freedom and responsibility.
If the vote was small government and lower taxes versus higher taxes and bigger government, I can totally get why that would split a developed, educated nation. And I believe that many of you probably do look at it that way. My problem is, that in order to support your choice of smaller government, greater freedom, you are forced to support all the shit that has been lumped in with it. Racism, bigotry, religion, homophobia, misogyny and ignorance from subtle to epic in scale. And its that I find so hard to forgive. (It doesn't help that so many Republicans I speak to don't even seem to regret any of that when they make their choice).

Its like voting for the KKK because you know they'll fix the potholes in your street. I just don't know how so many people can be ok with that.

So once you establish a baseline for all politicians, which is that they all suck and are liars and hypocrites who can't be trusted, and you "eliminate that from your calculations" as you weigh one side against the other, you really are left with a cartoon view of "Reasonably likely to try and do at least a few things that are good" Vs. "Will absolutely try to do a whole bunch of asshole things without a shadow of a doubt". Or to simplify further, good Vs. bad.

I could make a much simpler point and ask why you think it odd that a country thats seriously considering giving nuclear weapon codes to Donald Trump is in any way cartoon like.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2016, 12:35 AM

Your post deserves more, which I shall provide, but in the meantime, allow me to address your final point.

It's notable the man exemplary of cartoon politics... isn't actually a politician.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2016, 07:26 AM

Your post deserves more, which I shall provide, but in the meantime, allow me to address your final point.

It's notable the man exemplary of cartoon politics... isn't actually a politician.
Like it or not, he is now.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I was expecting you to cite someone I hadn't heard of before. I have heard of Newt but I confess I know nothing of what he did or believed or said. That probably speaks to his credit.

Unless you feel like being specific about some of what he did I doubt I'll find the time to research it much I'm afraid. I don't about subsidies for history professors but I see at a glance that he was charged with an ethics violation for running a college course for political reasons.

Actually I suppose US Republicans are among a select few who can be honest about the fact they are assholes and still get elected. Of course many of those do eventually turn out to be philandering sex pests having run on a platform of family values but as I say, thats the sort of thing I expect from Democrats as well. You can cheat on your spouse and still do a lot of good for your country. If you hate black people or Mexicans or poor people or women or homosexuals, you are probably going to do something that will stain your record in the long term if you are allowed to get away with it.

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to be as concise as I'd like.

I absolutely get that there are decent, conservative or maybe libertarian people in America who are capable of being impartial, rational, sensible, who simply believe in the most basic ideals that the Republican party was supposed to stand for. Smaller government, greater personal freedom and responsibility.
If the vote was small government and lower taxes versus higher taxes and bigger government, I can totally get why that would split a developed, educated nation. And I believe that many of you probably do look at it that way. My problem is, that in order to support your choice of smaller government, greater freedom, you are forced to support all the shit that has been lumped in with it. Racism, bigotry, religion, homophobia, misogyny and ignorance from subtle to epic in scale. And its that I find so hard to forgive. (It doesn't help that so many Republicans I speak to don't even seem to regret any of that when they make their choice).

Its like voting for the KKK because you know they'll fix the potholes in your street. I just don't know how so many people can be ok with that.

So once you establish a baseline for all politicians, which is that they all suck and are liars and hypocrites who can't be trusted, and you "eliminate that from your calculations" as you weigh one side against the other, you really are left with a cartoon view of "Reasonably likely to try and do at least a few things that are good" Vs. "Will absolutely try to do a whole bunch of asshole things without a shadow of a doubt". Or to simplify further, good Vs. bad.

I could make a much simpler point and ask why you think it odd that a country thats seriously considering giving nuclear weapon codes to Donald Trump is in any way cartoon like.
This post was excellent, and the questions posed, which I struggle with myself, prompted a new thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...rural-america/

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2016, 04:58 PM

I'm glad you liked it. I actually had several different paragraphs which I spent some time drafting, then I left my post open for a couple of days because I wasn't happy it was drifting off into a partisan tangent. I'm glad now I took a step back and redrafted it.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2016, 07:50 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2016, 04:54 PM

It's happening?

P
Jul 12, 2016, 07:32 PM

You mean Pence?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2016, 07:46 PM

No, Newt

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Great rack.
???
45/47

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Please be Michelle Bachman.
… or they could pull Sarah Palin out of the Alaskan woods.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2016, 07:59 AM

No, Newt
If you want someone very intelligent, with a great tactical mind and few scruples, that's your man for VP. Pocahontas would be shaking in her boots before a debate with him.

P
Jul 13, 2016, 09:14 AM

Who is Pocahontas here? Some Dem VP candidate you had in mind? Because Clinton is not exactly tan...

I don't doubt that Gingrich is intelligent and certainly capable of doing the job, but I am not sure how it helps Trump's candidacy. It could serve to shine a spotlight on the fact that Trump himself has no government experience. OTOH, maybe there is nostalgia for the shutdown antics.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2016, 09:31 AM

Pocahontas is a slam on Elizabeth Warren, who in the past claimed some native american heritage, but has little proof beyond family lore. The right loves photoshopping her face on racist cartoons of native americans and such. Because, you know, they are outraged.

Mixed thoughts on Newt... if he is VP, he will plainly be the power/brains/experience behind the throne. Can Trump's ego handle that?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2016, 10:13 AM

If I'm Trump I do not pick someone the GOP congress would rather have as Pres than me.

P
Jul 13, 2016, 10:55 AM

Pocahontas is a slam on Elizabeth Warren, who in the past claimed some native american heritage, but has little proof beyond family lore. The right loves photoshopping her face on racist cartoons of native americans and such. Because, you know, they are outraged.
OK, that is classy. Also totally not racist or an ad hominem or anything.

If I'm Trump I do not pick someone the GOP congress would rather have as Pres than me.
Heh.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Who is Pocahontas here? Some Dem VP candidate you had in mind? Because Clinton is not exactly tan...
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...s+VP+candidate

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2016, 02:45 PM

The right loves photoshopping her face on racist cartoons of native americans and such. Because, you know, they are outraged.
That word has been so misused in the last few years, it's been almost completely nullified as a pejorative term.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2016, 03:41 PM

The right loves photoshopping her face on racist cartoons of native americans and such. Because, you know, they are outraged.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
That word has been so misused in the last few years, it's been almost completely nullified as a pejorative term.
Kind of like this, except it's ¡Three Pendejos!
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2016, 07:17 PM

Am I supposed to know who the other two are?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2016, 07:40 PM

The POTUMS and PMOC
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The POTUMS

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2016, 12:23 PM

It's looking like Pence again.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2016, 12:31 PM

I want Newt for entertainment purposes, but feel he may actually help too much.

Though, if it's true what I heard about the Frozen tweet being Newt's idea... maybe not.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2016, 12:57 PM

Lol people already going through pence' tweets and finding anti-trump comments

Forum Links
Forum Rules