Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch
P
Jan 13, 2017, 05:53 AM

This looks interesting to me, I have to say. No word on Virtual Console games for it yet, but it seems Ninty is porting over the most successful Wii U games, and new Zelda and Mario games is never bad.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2017, 08:58 PM

The new Zelda game looks amazing. I may actually pick up a Switch just to play this game.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P  (op)
Jan 16, 2017, 04:37 AM

To be honest, first party games is why you buy Nintendo consoles (if you do).

There was an announcement hidden in all the other stuff that if you pay for the new online service, you get one free VC game per month. That implies that there will at least be VC, so hopefully they will sell the same old games for it as well. Wonder if it's fast enough to emulate Gamecube games now?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There was an announcement hidden in all the other stuff that if you pay for the new online service, you get one free VC game per month.
...which expire at the end of the month.

Unlike PS+, you only get the free VC game for that month. Once the month is finished, you'll have to actually pay for it. It sounds worse than it is, though, as it will cost somewhere between $17-$26 annually. They may have given a NA price since the last article I read, but I couldn't find it with a quick Google search.

Other good news: they've teased that some of them will have online multiplayer.

Standerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2017, 12:26 PM

Wow, I've been waiting couple of years now to play that Zelda! Can't wait to get this one. Is the price still a big '?' or it was announced already?
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

LittleMidget91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2017, 10:36 AM

They have announced the first portable-only game for the system. It looks promising, although I'm not a fan of anime art style...

Anyway, I will be getting the console in a few days, if you have any questions regarding Switch - ask me here
Dont even try to fool me, Windows! - Mark

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2017, 09:57 PM

Portable only? Seems like an odd decision to even allow that.

P  (op)
Mar 1, 2017, 10:29 AM

It is because the Switch has a touchscreen, and TVs, as a rule, don't. If you want to make a game that relies on touchscreen controls, you have to make it portable only.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2017, 05:16 PM

Reviews are starting to pour out, and it looks very positive.

Money is tight with two young kids, but I'm feeling that familiar Jawbone itch.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2017, 02:26 PM

I've heard a lot of problems with the controllers losing connectivity if the unit is too close to other wireless devices, which would be an issue in my entertainment center...

P  (op)
Mar 7, 2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've heard a lot of problems with the controllers losing connectivity if the unit is too close to other wireless devices, which would be an issue in my entertainment center...
There is a modder who has located the issue, and fixed it (left joy-con has the antenna squeezed between your hand and a piece of metal so reception is poor, and he fixes it by soldering on a new antenna wire). Seems like this thing isn't quite done yet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2017, 04:51 PM

Had a chance to play with the Switch at PAX, and Breath of the Wild.

Awesome game, really beautiful and a breeze to pick up and play. Might have to look around for a Wii U to borrow from someone so I can get a chance to play it.

I have zero interest in a mobile gaming platform, none. I wish Nintendo made a cheaper "TV Only" version of the switch for people, like me, who don't need to game on the move. During the demo we were asked to change from the TVs to the handheld, I instantly wanted it back on the TV.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2017, 10:39 PM

I haven't mentioned this yet. I've had a Switch for about three weeks.

I was walking through Target with my kids when, lo and behold, they had two Switches in stock. I had been planning on waiting until Fall, thinking that there wouldn't be any supply constraints, but all it took was one look and I caved. Long story short: this little device is amazing. I've taken it with me everywhere.

A few points:

- The hardware is fantastic. I know 720p doesn't sound great, and there was that little problem with people's joycons losing connectivity, but the resolution has not been a problem at all. The screen looks very, very good. The real (and blessedly assymetrical) analog sticks work as they always should have. I have that same feeling as when I picked up a Vita years ago (cue ominous music) --- everything feels and looks so much better than I expect.
- I've caught myself playing the Switch in several different ways, and not because I was forced into it. I've been playing in bed, thrown my knees up, slid the joycons off the system, and played with both hands resting on the bed. It was suprisingly comfortable, though my wife thought I was being ridiculous. I've played with the Pro Controller when docked, but I've also used the same joycon-in-each-hand in the same scenario. It really just depends on my mood.
- The Pro Controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. I probably prefer the XB1 controller for one reason alone: the analog triggers. I don't know what Nintendo has against triggers, but I'm going to miss them in racing games and FIFA. Regardless, the Pro Controller feels like heaven.
- Breath of the Wild is every bit as good as advertised. It's my favorite open-world game I've ever played, and I've probably sunk 60 hours into it already, despite not being 40% through the main quest. There are distractions everywhere, and the sheer lack of hand-holding encourages experimentation.
- I've also picked up Snake Pass and Graceful Explosion Machine. Both are loads of fun. I haven't tried Mario Kart 8 on it yet, but I've heard there are some online issues (surprise).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2017, 03:51 PM

If you don't mind puzzle games, Puyo Puyo Tetris (demo available) is full of enjoyment.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I haven't mentioned this yet. I've had a Switch for about three weeks.

I was walking through Target with my kids when, lo and behold, they had two Switches in stock. I had been planning on waiting until Fall, thinking that there wouldn't be any supply constraints, but all it took was one look and I caved. Long story short: this little device is amazing. I've taken it with me everywhere.

A few points:

- The hardware is fantastic. I know 720p doesn't sound great, and there was that little problem with people's joycons losing connectivity, but the resolution has not been a problem at all. The screen looks very, very good. The real (and blessedly assymetrical) analog sticks work as they always should have. I have that same feeling as when I picked up a Vita years ago (cue ominous music) --- everything feels and looks so much better than I expect.
- I've caught myself playing the Switch in several different ways, and not because I was forced into it. I've been playing in bed, thrown my knees up, slid the joycons off the system, and played with both hands resting on the bed. It was suprisingly comfortable, though my wife thought I was being ridiculous. I've played with the Pro Controller when docked, but I've also used the same joycon-in-each-hand in the same scenario. It really just depends on my mood.
- The Pro Controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. I probably prefer the XB1 controller for one reason alone: the analog triggers. I don't know what Nintendo has against triggers, but I'm going to miss them in racing games and FIFA. Regardless, the Pro Controller feels like heaven.
- Breath of the Wild is every bit as good as advertised. It's my favorite open-world game I've ever played, and I've probably sunk 60 hours into it already, despite not being 40% through the main quest. There are distractions everywhere, and the sheer lack of hand-holding encourages experimentation.
- I've also picked up Snake Pass and Graceful Explosion Machine. Both are loads of fun. I haven't tried Mario Kart 8 on it yet, but I've heard there are some online issues (surprise).

Loving my Switch and BotW as well. Got my wife hooked on it too...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2017, 08:58 PM

Nearly four months in, the Switch has become my second-favorite digital device of any kind that I've ever owned.

BotW is still drawing some attention from me, Splatoon 2 is a blast, and even the XCOM-like Mario vs. Rabbids: Kingdom Battle looks great. If they release a lot of the types of titles that came to 3D (Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, etc.), I have no idea why I'd need another console throughout the Switch's life cycle.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Loving my Switch and BotW as well. Got my wife hooked on it too...
One of the awesome things about Nintendo: their games don't have such predictable gender/age boundaries.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2018, 12:02 PM

If you own a Switch, and you have yet to purchase Mario vs. Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, do yourself a favor and snatch it up the moment it's on sale. It's currently $48.

I went in thinking it was X-COM: Lite, but it's actually much tougher than I assumed. Ubisoft (surprisingly) nailed the license — it feels like a first-party Nintendo game. Easily my third-favorite Switch game behind Zelda/Mario.

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2018, 01:04 PM

sounds fun!

a friend brought theirs over for new years. I was impressed with how easy it was to set up, and get right into playing mario kart. Mario kart was very similar to Wii mario kart.

The controllers felt very tiny in my hands and I had some issues with buttons being close enough to hit the wrong one, but I'd probably get used to it.

Our Wii has stopped reading discs so the switch is tempting. Then again, we have a PS4 right there.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The controllers felt very tiny in my hands and I had some issues with buttons being close enough to hit the wrong one, but I'd probably get used to it.
Did they not attach the grips to the joycons? Should have looked like this:

Our Wii has stopped reading discs so the switch is tempting. Then again, we have a PS4 right there.
I suppose some of it depends on out attached your family is to the Nintendo licenses. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are worthe the price of admission alone, but the collection of titles is growing, especially indies.

The greatest benefit is the portability. It's in my backpack with me at all times.

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2018, 01:44 PM

ah, no, they did not have the grips/straps.

The PS4 does not have many multiplayer all ages games, so kids would still want to play mario and that pink puffy thing etc. Sad that all the Wii games would be gone. Just dance is silly on other devices, the PS4 version requires everyone to have a phone. :/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 02:17 PM

I've gone on a couple of trips, and being able to play Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart (my current games) is just brilliant, especially on a long flight.

It's kind of funny how close Nintendo was with the Wii U, hardware-wise, in a sense. Obviously it had other problems in not having good games and stuff, but with the Wii U the actual device was the box and the gamepad was an accessory. With the Switch the gamepad-esque thing is the device, and in a sense the dock is an accessory. So, kind of the opposite.

Debating looking at Skyrim (I've never played), and trying to figure out my next game. Is Mario + Rabbids good as a single player game?

My other comment is this...

Nintendo was very smart in building out Breath of the Wild to have such an amazing and complete engine. I kind of think the engine is stronger than the game itself, but the engine is a technological marvel:

- handles draw distances and putting a ton of stuff into a single loading zone in a clever way
- complete handling of nature (sun rises/sun sets, sky, rain, thunder, blowing grass, wind, water, fire, explosions, etc.)
- complete handling of wildlife and animal AI
- great handling of physics

Really, there is very little missing that I think a gamer could possibly want in an immersive gaming engine. This will allow Nintendo to crank out future Zelda titles much quicker, and maybe even reuse some of this code in their other first party games.

Nintendo has apparently re-used some game engine components before, but the differences between Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and even Skyward Sword are minor compared to the jump from Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild - this is a MASSIVE gaming engine improvement and I would bet the biggest one since moving from 2D to 3D.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2018, 02:50 PM

Debating looking at Skyrim (I've never played)
If you like western RPGs, do it.

I've played a ton on the PC, so I do miss the mods, but being able to play it in a hotel room, on a plane, during lunch breaks, etc. is amazing. The lower-res textures aren't amazing, but the rest of the game runs well and looks very good.

...and trying to figure out my next game. Is Mario + Rabbids good as a single player game?
No, it's not.

It's amazing as a single player game. Several layers of strategy that grow at an appropriate pace throughout the experience. I can't rave about it enough. Pun very much intended.

My other comment is this...

Nintendo was very smart in building out Breath of the Wild to have such an amazing and complete engine. I kind of think the engine is stronger than the game itself, but the engine is a technological marvel:

- handles draw distances and putting a ton of stuff into a single loading zone in a clever way
- complete handling of nature (sun rises/sun sets, sky, rain, thunder, blowing grass, wind, water, fire, explosions, etc.)
- complete handling of wildlife and animal AI
- great handling of physics

Really, there is very little missing that I think a gamer could possibly want in an immersive gaming engine. This will allow Nintendo to crank out future Zelda titles much quicker, and maybe even reuse some of this code in their other first party games.

Nintendo has apparently re-used some game engine components before, but the differences between Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and even Skyward Sword are minor compared to the jump from Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild - this is a MASSIVE gaming engine improvement and I would bet the biggest one since moving from 2D to 3D.
I agree, and when coupled with the art design, BOTW is peerless.

I've seen critics rant against the "empty" world, but in my experience, even a trek across an open field turns into several battles where you have to determine the risk/reward balance. And the Guardians...the freaking Guardians...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 03:46 PM

I agree, and when coupled with the art design, BOTW is peerless.

I've seen critics rant against the "empty" world, but in my experience, even a trek across an open field turns into several battles where you have to determine the risk/reward balance. And the Guardians...the freaking Guardians...
I think there are a number of reasonable points of criticism against the game itself, but the cool thing is in the future if Nintendo wants a smaller world, they just make a smaller world (with the same engine). Don't want chipmunks running around? Leave them out. Want new wildlife? Underwater swimming? Just update the engine. New textures/art-style? Just build with the same engine.

I think absolutely everything that anybody has ever said as a criticism of this game can be addressed without needing to overhaul the engine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2018, 11:50 AM

I think absolutely everything that anybody has ever said as a criticism of this game can be addressed without needing to overhaul the engine.
Oh, no doubt about it.

Honestly, my only point of criticism would be ALL weapons breaking. I feel that...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2018, 11:56 AM

Oh, no doubt about it.

Honestly, my only point of criticism would be ALL weapons breaking. I feel that...

Yeah, I've heard this argument before...

The problem is, if weapons didn't break, people would just stick to one weapon and never change it. Getting a stronger weapon would immediately obsolete an older weapon. You'd basically just need 4: a strong spear, a strong one handed sword, a strong two handed sword, and a strong bow. Same with shields, of course...

I think Nintendo was really trying to push strategy with different kinds of weapons. The thunder swords, for example, temporarily stun. Fire swords are great in cold climates, and vice versa. I never got into the rods, I guess they could have used more work, but there was interesting potential there in a sort of arrow/sword hybrid. Weapons have unique capabilities when they are thrown (e.g. the master sword beam). I never really got into that, but I've seen speed runners use this to their advantage, for example using the master sword beam as an arrow alternative.

So, I really get and agree with the idea of the weapons durability system. Maybe it just needed to be a little less aggressive and a little more work put into making a diversity of weapons genuinely invited rather than forced. I'd argue the same is true of the rain - it was way too frequent.

With a game this big though they needed to encourage people to continue to hunt for treasure, cause after a while getting your 23904823094th amber loses its excitement Treasure is a great way to stimulate exploration and make use of space. Korok seeds sort of did the same thing, although I think there was wayyy too many of them

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
To be honest, first party games is why you buy Nintendo consoles (if you do).
Following up on this a year later, my top-5 titles ranked by play time:

1. 105 hours - Breath of the Wild
2. 95 hours - Stardew Valley
3. 90 hours - Skyrim
4. 85 hours - FIFA 18
5. 35 hours - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Considering how much time I'd put into Stardew Valley and Skyrim on PC, I didn't expect to put that much time into them on Switch, but lo and behold, I've put over two weeks into them. Most of that playtime is from travel airports/hotels or while lying in bed as the wife watched BBC period pieces.

In short, the Switch is like the Vita with its indie focus. The difference is that it also has massive first-party support. If this continues, I don't see it losing traction. Side note: I wish so badly that Persona 5 would be released on Switch — it's perfect for portable play.

I don't see how the Switch can ever match 2017 in regard to first-party titles, but if it's even 60% as good, 2018 will be a continued success.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2018, 01:34 PM

I don't see how the Switch can ever match 2017 in regard to first-party titles, but if it's even 60% as good, 2018 will be a continued success.
They could also stimulate 2018 growth with some price cuts, if they had to.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2018, 03:31 PM

They could also stimulate 2018 growth with some price cuts, if they had to.
Nintendo price cuts...

Forum Links
Forum Rules