Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMAC

New iMAC
Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 05:14 PM

<hibidyhopity>
Jul 8, 2001, 05:19 PM

wow who ever did that needs to work for apple =))

Blake Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 05:24 PM

haha..yea

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2001, 06:39 PM

It's a mockup that MOSR mentioned like a month ago.

http://www.acorncreative.tv/imac2.html

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2001, 07:03 PM

Nice...very nice. I like the idea of "cinema display" transparent (not translucent) plastics so that the iMac fits in with the rest of the desktop setup.

One or two small problems though...the screen is way too large. that iMac would cost nearly $2200 by the time you were finished. Is that a 19-inch or 17- inch widescreen?

I can see all the old regulars there...microphone at the top...iMac written in Apple Garamond Light below the screen. and the speakers do look interest...are they a pair of h/k Odysessys? Yeah...I thought so. If the base were to be slightly larger, there could be room for a couple fo reduced subwoofers drawing from the iSub.

Slot loading CD-RW or DVD? Still...it looks good...but it extends into the whole machine. that has got to be ugly. Sorry, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the drive not going out the length of the machine...but actually as the side of the screen and turned tso that it is vertical...so that the drive lies parralel with the LCD? Just a thought...but a more ergonomic one at that.

Where abouts are all the ports...at the back like on a flat panel studio display? Hopefully not next to the slot loading drive...

Still though, a very nice deign. I like it. With a Pro Keyboard and a Pro Mouse...as a friend of mine would say, top notch.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Blake Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 09:17 PM

yea..it's a neat concept.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 8, 2001, 10:14 PM

I'm sorry but as Steve Jobs so well put it regarding another issue, "I'm ashamed to be human" when I see that mockup! It wastes desk space needlessly, the innards of the CD/DVD drive showing through the clear plastic is simply ugly (as well as the orientation of that drive, as mentioned above), and the plastic rings around the speakers seem quite redundant and attract too much attention to a lot of nothing.

Aesthetically wise, the mockup being passed around by derrick_t, as shown above, and found in this thread is much better.

Still, I find both slightly unrealistic due to size and speaker concerns. This "boob-mac" as it's being called in other circles, would have wires sticking out of the speakers at the back, and derrick's are too thin to convince me that they would output high-quality sound. Most likely, if Apple followed this design route, they would include the same speakers as the cube.

Opinions?

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Visnaut ]

Blake Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 11:17 PM

I'd rather look at the boob mac than that ugly thing! That looks like my ibook got ran over by my F150. Splat flat.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 11:21 PM

I like that one. It looks really nice especially with an iSub. The one by derrick_t is uuuuuggggllllyyyy .

FAerrorTAL
Jul 9, 2001, 12:36 AM

ok so neither is perfect, and aesthetics are generally in the eyes of the beholder, so keep the flaming to a minimum, both have pluses and minuses.

Ok, the acrylic style is in, since the cube is gone, it's like a tribute
the depth though isn't likely, since they current lcd range are still pretty deep... I'd say this design needs a few more inches just to fit the fun stuff (hard disc drive, motherboard, video card, ya know, the biggies...) So with that, the speakers could fit realistically, but not quite like the H/K from the cube, i'm thinking soundstick style??!! and yes, the disk drive deffinately needs a home in parallel with the screen! oh, and a 17" cinema lcd AND computer in one for $900? maybe in 2 years...

as for the tiny titanium slab iMac, it has it's own problems. Such as NO sex appeal... but that's an opinion... titanium is a neat idea, but should be reserved for high ends that need the strength.

both of those ideas are probably over $2000, but i think they could be a glimps at things to come
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

derrick_t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 08:23 AM

Here's my thinking behind the "Digital Hub" iMac, as some are calling it. For starters Apple is going to put the greatest amount of mechanical effert in to this iMac design. More then the Cube, a costly practice exercise for there engineering group. The following Ti and iBook designs are further examples of what Apple is currently capable of.

Actually I'm writing this on a Cube, I'm a huge Apple supporter. I also have the 266 G3 Tower and a 266 iMac, and as soon as rev 2 of the Ti comes out that will be my next Apple purchase. But Apple wants to say to the world, believe it or not but this is the new iMac. We've crammed everything in to yet another "amazingly small package".

My rendering shows the iMac at 1.5 inches thick, which will be plenty of space. Think about it this way, the iBook at 1.35 inches has two seperate enclosures (one for the monitor and one for the componients, keyboard, power supply, and mouse. My design uses just one enclosure, reducing cost. Use an external power supply (like the Cube) seperate keyboard and mouse (will that design change, that topic for another conversation), include cheaper speaker so people want to go out and buy the sticks, pro or what-ever-else they sell at the Apple store. Use the same slot loading drive as the Ti, Cube or possibly what the upgraded iBook will have and now we're talking. Keep with Apple's design pattern, of this not such a fruity company any more, but one with style, clean design and sex appeal. But I could be wrong.

And sure Apple cannot take any chances with this product, but they still have to say it's a inovative design. People have to look at the iMac and say it's simple but beautiful, therefore it's simple to use and operate. It's only this one little "tablet" feels good and reliable. And people will buy them.

Some of you out there are calling this a 20th Aniversary look-a-like. That machine was ahead of its time, but that's nothing new for this company and its iCEO. And perhaps it is time for a design like that.

Here something that stuck me the other day while driving around. What if Apple doesn't even do another iMac. Why try to top yourself, bring out something new. Don't give me to much crap for that, it's just food for tought.

Thanks for taking a look at the Digital Hub iMac and giving your opinions.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 05:04 PM

Maybe they will go for a Bang and Olufsen-esque CD-ROM. One with a glass door that opens out.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Phoible:
<STRONG>Maybe they will go for a Bang and Olufsen-esque CD-ROM. One with a glass door that opens out.</STRONG>
WOW, i wish... but i doubt they have DVD/CD/RW's in those configurations, let alone at reasonable price points... then again, Apple did surprise us with the slot loading drives. I never would have thought those would have "been available, let alone at reasonable price points" ;-)

*drool*

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 10, 2001, 07:27 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 21, 2004 at 01:18 PM. )

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>Think 17" cinema style display. Slot loading, with a slightly thicker back-side. Instead of "boob" speakers in the front... think of a shapely "rear end".

No Bang + Olufsen stuff... that's way too '80's.</STRONG>
Well the TiBook is very B&O ish.... and the 80's are very fashionable now...

btw that mock-up has the quality of a tit joke

erdle_the_turtle
Jul 11, 2001, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>

Well the TiBook is very B&O ish.... and the 80's are very fashionable now...

btw that mock-up has the quality of a tit joke</STRONG>
Just Think How Much They are going to be with the flat screen and everything. IT is like a futre thing!
Mr. Erdle the Turtle

AIM: erdletheturtle

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 09:49 AM

I'm having a vision of the iMac that incorporates elements of the cube, with the roundness of an iMac and an LCD screen.

Obviously the front will be flat. As per the mockup at the top of the page, the Optical slot load drive will load from the front. Thus the iMac will be deeper than just an LCD but not by much. We already know from the cube that it need not be any deeper than the length of the drive. At most 7 inches.

But a 7 inch deep LCD seems awfully bulky, No? However it only needs to be 7 inches deep at the center, the rest of the back arcs to the edges of the screen, so that it is only as thick as an LCD at the edges. Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, cube internals could drop right in to such a design with little or no modification? Only difference is that the optical drive now rests horizontal. There should even be extra cooling air volume within the sides of the case. The front is Icey White and the back is translucent (choose your color/pattern). A small pedastle, or easle stlye feet elevate it. I prefer a pedastle that kinda grows out of the bottom of the thick center like a pillar and incorporates the optical drive at the bottom. However, all you photoshop wizards out there can sort that out better than I can describe it.

Think of the top view as a kinda phase of the moon. The design has the great advantage of basically borrowing all the R&D of the cube and spinning it into something profitable.

Anyone think they could quickly mock up something like what I described?
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 11, 2001, 02:09 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 21, 2004 at 01:17 PM. )

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2001, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>I'm having a vision of the iMac that incorporates elements of the cube, with the roundness of an iMac and an LCD screen.

Obviously the front will be flat. As per the mockup at the top of the page, the Optical slot load drive will load from the front. Thus the iMac will be deeper than just an LCD but not by much. We already know from the cube that it need not be any deeper than the length of the drive. At most 7 inches.

But a 7 inch deep LCD seems awfully bulky, No? However it only needs to be 7 inches deep at the center, the rest of the back arcs to the edges of the screen, so that it is only as thick as an LCD at the edges. Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, cube internals could drop right in to such a design with little or no modification? Only difference is that the optical drive now rests horizontal. There should even be extra cooling air volume within the sides of the case. The front is Icey White and the back is translucent (choose your color/pattern). A small pedastle, or easle stlye feet elevate it. I prefer a pedastle that kinda grows out of the bottom of the thick center like a pillar and incorporates the optical drive at the bottom. However, all you photoshop wizards out there can sort that out better than I can describe it.

Think of the top view as a kinda phase of the moon. The design has the great advantage of basically borrowing all the R&D of the cube and spinning it into something profitable.

Anyone think they could quickly mock up something like what I described?</STRONG>
I think you are right on the money.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 03:11 PM

<Whatever I Want>
Jul 11, 2001, 05:58 PM

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 06:39 PM

Can you imagine the iMac getting an AGP slot? You know there'd even be room in there for a PCI slot. However, as the computer industry standardizes on miniPCI (I/O) for laptops and all-in-one motherboard solutions, look for third party PCI solutions that involve attaching an expansion chassis through this miniature socket.

Although mini PCI might just be soldered in place knowing Apple. However this is just Pie-in-the-sky 'cause I don't think that Apple uses miniPCI on their new laptops at the moment. Thus not likely to appear anywhere else. Laptop makers like miniPCI because it simplifies the process of writing drivers.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2001, 11:52 PM

ok ok ive see that mok up for a while...and sure i've tried to promote my conception ever since...

sorry for all who have seen it
http://www.kuodesign.com/welcome/sex.html

I'll bet my design are closer than others...

OMG less than a week left

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2001, 09:33 AM

That looks like an ASS. make the moon shaped curve on the horizontal plane and I think you might be closer. No ass shape though.

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 10:28 AM

For the link above, that does look like an ass. Now for some good stuff...For specs on the new iMac: click here

elppa cam
Jul 12, 2001, 10:39 AM

Boobs... butts... what the hell are these? iMac... the Playboy Special Edition? Kee-ripes!

Think Bare Naked Ladies!
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules