Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need recommendation on bag for big guy

Need recommendation on bag for big guy
genesisdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 07:20 AM

Ok, I will admit it... I am a big guy

I travel 3-4 times per week to jobs now and am making the conversion from windoze to mac; i currently use a Dell Inspiron I lug around in either a shoulder bag or one of those Targus wheelie-type things (which i disklike intensly; those things suck to drag along a city street). The shoulder bag is ok, but its rather snug; I think whoever designed these things had 155-lb models to size em against. 155 i am NOT!

Anways, I ordered a 15" PB and it should be here by Thursday/Friday this week. I need to get a "something" to take it on the road with me (no car, I use public transportation) starting probably 2 weeks after (dying to dump my Dell, major headaches with it).

Should I get a backpack? Will I hate it after a while? Are their cross-shoulder bags that have a longer/slightly-thicker strap so that a stocky guy can wear it over his head with the bag on his back and not feel like this strap is digging into his chest? Should I get the bag I want and look for/order a custom-made length strap? Do they have such things?

Come out of the closet all you big guys... what do you use to lug your PB around?

ghettochild
Dec 27, 2005, 07:46 AM

check out crumpler bags. the website is a little rad but the bags are awesome.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 10:14 AM

well....maybe we should define BIG guys.......I am 6'4", 280.....I use the Radtech CURVE bag...in fact, we have 3 of them at my house. My son (former college offensive lineman) also uses one for his laptop as well....we carry a ton of stuff in it....he carries all the computer garb and a book or two...I carry papers back and forth from school (I am a teacher) as well as game videos, etc.... It has a fairly long strap with a padded segment for the shoulder. I will admit at times, it does get heavy and it will dig a little in the shoulder. But I think that has more to do with the massive amount I load it up with than the bag itself.... I love this bag.....especially for the 75.00 price...

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 02:21 PM

I have a very versatile saddlebag style laptop bag, which was a gift from my company. There's a handle for carrying it like a briefcase, an optional over-the-shoulder strap, plus backpack straps which can be hidden in a compartment.

It protects my PB quite well (plus I use a Gimp sleeve) and is very practical. There is a pouch under the flap that can easily hold the power adapter, a mouse, plus all the adapters that come with powerbooks. Parallel to the laptop compartment is a smaller compartment that can hold a few folders, magazines, thin books.

I noticed Timbuk2 has the same design + its more stylish than my comparatively ordinary black bag: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...m?categoryId=9

While I have not used this Timbuk2 bag, it looks nice and I recommend this type of saddlebag or vertical design.

genesisdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hoops Coach
well....maybe we should define BIG guys.......I am 6'4", 280.....I use the Radtech CURVE bag
Ok, for clarification... 6'1", 340 and by shoulderbag, i dont mean a bag thats slung over one shoulder... I prefer to wear a bag where the strap goes over my right shoulder and over my head and the laptop is either on my right side or most times, on my lower back. With too many bags, the strap isnt long enough and I've found the bag rides higher up my back and the strap becomes very constricting. I like the bag to ride low and loose.

Any further suggestions?

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2005, 11:17 PM

I am 6' and 290lbs. I use a Spire USA Endo Laptop bag. I have no problems carrying it over my shoulder even when wearing a winter coat. It is pretty weather proof also, as it was designed by outdoor enthusiasts.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/EX5.html

SAm

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2005, 01:10 AM

im 6'4 200lbs and i love my timbuk2 messenger bag. for 100 bucks its really well made and really protects the powerbook from any damage. id give em a shot especially with a 15" pb. you could fit a lot inside as well, not only do i fit my pb in it, but i also fit 2 textbooks and 2 note books along with all my writing utensils, powerbook stuff (extra batt and power plug), cellphone and ipod.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghettochild
Dec 28, 2005, 06:47 AM

lol, k. I'm 6'5", 170 lbs., and I have the crumpler sticky date. holds laptops up to 17" and a ton of additional stuff. recommended.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Forum Links
Forum Rules