Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What ever happened to the AppleInsider message boards?

What ever happened to the AppleInsider message boards? (Page 4)
DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2001, 04:37 AM

The AI community was unique, to say the least. One thing I liked was the ability of the members to tolerate just about any viewpoint. The fact I was never kicked out is a testament to that.

And what other forum on the net had its own army, named after a nightclub in a 1970s blaxploitation film, with a Pimp named "The Avenging Disco Godfather" as its mascot?

Though, one thing I noticed is that we recieved little respect from the other sites on the net. The Register would link to MOSR like crazy, no matter what Ryan Meader posted. AI links were few and far between. Worker Bee was always referred to as a poster to the Yahoo! Forums. Rarely did we get our due. We were ignored by the rest of the internet and by the very people responsible for the damn thing.

It's obvious that Monish doesn't really care about the site, few can deny that. If NewsFactor had retained ownership, I garuntee that we would not be in this situation. They actually showed some interest in updating and maintaining Apple Insider.

Monish announces a new server is coming "next week" and months later this magical server is keeping an OS X-like deployment schedule.

In other words, the thing is coming "Real Soon Now".

Not soon enough.

I've given Monish the benefit of the doubt and I will not do so any longer. The man has zero credibility with me at the moment. So far, I've gone to great lengths to be extremly polite and fair. I can't do that anymore.

The sad truth is we are all afraid of what might happen if we raise too big of a stink about this. That AI might be down for good if we get on Monish's bad side. Personally, as much as I would like to return to Apple Insider, I'm not willing to go against my principles and ingore the fact we are getting screwed.

Fix it, or sell it.

Now.

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2001, 05:51 AM

"AppleSidelinered"

Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Mandricard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 03:53 PM

I agree too. I am wandering aimlessly in and out of rumor-mongering communities with little or no success. I wish we could get a signal as to whether AI is dead for good or just in a Coma.

Mandricard
Estranged AppleInsiderOutsider

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 03:10 AM

Just adding my voice to others looking for current information.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

HAL9000
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2001, 06:09 AM

CONFIRMED: most ex-AI'ers are now at badflamingo.com ---> http://www.xsorbit.com/users/flamingo/index.cgi

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: HAL9000 ]
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2001, 08:13 AM

Is there no news on this subject??? This site still keeps the AppleInsider link up though it goes nowhere.

Codename
Banned
Aug 29, 2001, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by HAL9000:
<STRONG>CONFIRMED: most ex-AI'ers are now at badflamingo.com ---&gt; http://www.xsorbit.com/users/flamingo/index.cgi

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: HAL9000 ]</STRONG>
Badflamingo is such a pathetic rumor BB.
www.thinksecret.com/board

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2001, 11:21 PM

Codename's insider relation to ThinkSecret is being carefully plucked by AppleInsiders at BadFlamingo's General Discussion forum.
Bah...where did our AI go?

Digital Blah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2001, 11:56 PM

Codename!!! Must we get into this yet again!

I thought you would have learned by now....

How about suggesting that people look at the ts board rather than bashing another at the same time?

To quote myself from the last thread we did this in: (If you would just tell people to look at TS and not bash others, I wouldn't feel the need to reply)

If you are calling the flamingo boards pathetic, then you are calling the AI community pathetic BECAUSE THAT IS WHO IS POSTING THERE!

Codename.... errr.... Nick -- You're not going to get people over at the TS boards by telling the AI community that they are pathetic!

Everyone -- go look at the bad flamingo boards and read the posts there and then go to Think Secret and read the posts there and then make the decision for yourself

I have a feeling you'll choose the flamingo boards...

Codename, how about you stop making generalized comments with no evidence to try and persuade people and rather just tell them to go look at the TS boards.

Nick is a good guy, Think Secret is a good news site.

But it looks like the AI community has chosen bad flamingo as their forum and you can't say otherwise after taking a look at both boards which everyone reading this should do!

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 02:22 PM

Codename er uh PowermacG4 -

Everyone here is mature enough to be able to visit both forms and enjoy both of them but you. Why is it of such importance to you to create this Flamingo vs Think Secret thing? They are both great in their own right, and they are both co-existing well.

Get over it and grow up. Really, this is quite pathetic and it isn't working. Nick even posts at Flamingo.
~Peace~

jimmac
Aug 31, 2001, 01:12 AM

Well, someone must have paid the bill because the link from MacNN now goes back to the same old " resuming publication soon " AI home page. Interesting.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: jimmac ]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2001, 01:48 AM

Yep, looks like the domain name has been re-registered. But check out the registration info:

Registrant:
AppleInsider.com
999 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US

Domain Name: APPLEINSIDER.COM

Administrative Contact:
Apple, Insider [email protected]
999 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US
408-996-1010

Technical Contact:
999 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US
408-996-1010

Billing Contact:
999 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US
408-996-1010

Record last updated on 30-Aug-2001.
Record expires on 16-Aug-2002.
Record Created on 17-Aug-1998.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.MACNN.COM 140.186.123.171
NS2.MACNN.COM 140.186.123.172

The phone number gets you the main switchboard at Apple. Good one

HAL9000
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2001, 06:08 AM

Good one
I actually think it's a bad one.

elppa cam
Aug 31, 2001, 10:09 AM

Well... I was chatting with meself this morning at the AppleInsider chat room. I said , "Holy **** !" but... I refused to respond to such vulgarity. But at least that part is up and running. What's next??
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by jimmac:
<STRONG>Well, someone must have paid the bill because the link from MacNN now goes back to the same old " resuming publication soon " AI home page. Interesting.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: jimmac ]</STRONG>
Holy CPUs Batman! You're right. Appleinsider is responding again. Clicking on the forums still stalls out though but I'm hopeful.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2001, 12:28 PM

FIX IT. FIX IT NOW!!! hurry, please... I can't hold my breath much, uhhhh, damn! longer.

I'm going to cry in the corner now. And if you take your eyes off me I'm gonna pi$$ in your favorite vase.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2001, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>FIX IT. FIX IT NOW!!! hurry, please... I can't hold my breath much, uhhhh, damn! longer.

I'm going to cry in the corner now. And if you take your eyes off me I'm gonna pi$$ in your favorite vase.</STRONG>
moo chotto gaman shite kudasai. shikata ga nai.

Apple Otaku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2001, 03:15 PM

Well, HAL9000 gets it. How do you re-register and get things back online using bogus information? No real contacts, a fake address, a phone number that leads to Apple itself. You don't as far as I can tell. So did someone just hack the registration info in there? That is illegal. This just shows that they are not serious about Appleinisder at all.
Apple Otaku

HAL9000
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 04:19 PM

I really don't get some of you ex-AppleInsiders.

There you have been pissed on for months on end, and still you keep going on about the good old days. It's time to leave the field of reality distortion: things have moved on.

Why don't you, instead of checking every five minutes, whether AI is up again and then posting the ground breaking *news* all over the place, go to badflamingo.com and start posting there. There are quite a few of the old names to be found there, and the board has a *very good* feel to it and has all the makings of becoming the new AI. But most importantly, the person who runs it actually RESPONDS to queries and requests. So unlike the place you all keep dreaming about

And so what if AI were to be resurrected? Does the record of the past actually reassure you that things will get back to normal? Still, nobody has been informed why AI has sunk, and where the buck stopped, although the name Monish keeps cropping up. Give me a break. And now this crap about the re-registration. In Apple's pocket are we then? Jeeezuuuuus.

The whole situation is a disgrace, and you want to go back there . . . ? Sheesh.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by HAL9000:
<STRONG>I really don't get some of you ex-AppleInsiders.

Why don't you, instead of checking every five minutes, whether AI is up again and then posting the ground breaking *news* all over the place, go to badflamingo.com and start posting there. There are quite a few of the old names to be found there, and the board has a *very good* feel to it and has all the makings of becoming the new AI. But most importantly, the person who runs it actually RESPONDS to queries and requests. So unlike the place you all keep dreaming about
</STRONG>
I've been to badflamingo but it doesn't measure up. Somehow the topics and discussions aren't as focussed.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 11:23 PM

Well, HAL9000 gets it. How do you re-register and get things back online using bogus information?
You send the domain registry people some money and the site is regsitered in someone's name, and it doesn't have to be the person who runs it or even knows that it exists. Believe me.....it's been done before.

Give me a break. And now this crap about the re-registration. In Apple's pocket are we then? Jeeezuuuuus.
I think it is obvious that the contact info is bogus.

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2001, 01:53 AM

Jesus, Codename - Think Secret sucks. It's no "secret". We all know it.

Codename
Banned
Sep 4, 2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
<STRONG>Jesus, Codename - Think Secret sucks. It's no "secret". We all know it.</STRONG>
It is currently the most reliable rumor site with rectitude and the only one with a BB.

You need assistance with your insecurity issues.

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2001, 12:02 AM

I am curious as to how you related murbot's opinion of TS with insecurity issues? Hmm?

You're saying TS is great and better than BF, but at least Bad Flamingo is online right now.
Bah...where did our AI go?

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2001, 11:12 AM

So...no updates? Any chance to have AI back?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2001, 09:46 PM

If I had better than an old iMac to donate to the cause, I'd serve the AI message boards off my machine. This assumes I can't do it with the lightweight Macintosh; can I?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 03:47 PM

If I had better than an old iMac to donate to the cause, I'd serve the AI message boards off my machine. This assumes I can't do it with the lightweight Macintosh; can I?
No, you can't.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2001, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>

No, you can't.</STRONG>
Sadly...

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules