Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Talking to Americans

Talking to Americans
shmerek
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 03:51 PM

Did anyone happen to catch the hour long "Talking to Americans" last night on CBC? For all the Americans out there who don't know what this is it is a show where Rick Mercer a Canadian comic/actor goes around to various American universities and asks the students and professors how they feel about certain Canadian issues which are totally fabricated and ridiculous. An example was that he asked some Americans in Florida if Canada really needed a navy considering it doesn't boarder any ocean. Very funny stuff.

JonoG4
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 05:31 PM

That special originally aired several months ago. He actually just talks to Americans in general but was also going to universites such as Harvard. I got a good laugh at that. Mercer was asking professors at Harvard how they felt about the Canadians leaving senior citizens on northern ice flows to perish. I get a kick out of the Americans actually believing this stuff! He talked to a student studying Russia or something like that. He asked the student, "How do you feel about the Russians bombing Saskatchewan?" The student acted like he knew what he was talking about LOL. Funny stuff.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: JonoG4 ]
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

The Dude
Banned
Jul 2, 2001, 05:37 PM

America, what a joke.

jeffhot
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 06:31 PM

Americans are a sad lot, too bad most of them wouldn't get the joke if they happened to turn into this program. Of course then they'd have to live in Detroit probably, so that wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Rememeber when that journalist was asking Bush those questions, but about REAL events and facts. He didn't know **** and no one cared. Duh, we's a stoopid Americans, please manipulate us!

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2001, 06:36 PM

Sounds like the Jay Leno segment where he goes around LA and asks people questions about current events or ask them to identify pictures of fairly famous politicians. I'm sure if we walk around a university in Canada and ask them questions about madeup events, they would do just as well as Americans. As for the Harvard professors, they probably rarely come down from their ivory towers, so it's isn't as surprising as it should be.

Nick
Jul 2, 2001, 06:37 PM

"Congratulations Canada on replacing the 20 hour clock"

heh, that was just sad seeing as a Canadian invented the 24 hour clock

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 06:42 PM

Let me ask you one thing...

HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GENERALIZE FOR AN ENTIRERACE OF PEOPLE???

Not all Germans were Nazis. Not all Christians are irritating and try to sell you their faith. Not all russians are violent communists stuck in the eighties.

It just can't be done. Not all Americans are homoginized "slack jawed yocals".

And you may ask why I defend "us" so much. i do so becaseu I live in a foregin country...and get quite a bit of trouble for bieng American.

But I'm proud of it.

If you don't like America Mr. Un-hot, move from Chicago. i'm sure Siberia is a nice alterative.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
<STRONG>
...And you may ask why I defend "us" so much. i do so becaseu I live in a foregin country...and get quite a bit of trouble for bieng American.
</STRONG>
nobody asked.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by gyc:
<STRONG>Sounds like the Jay Leno segment where he goes around LA and asks people questions about current events or ask them to identify pictures of fairly famous politicians. I'm sure if we walk around a university in Canada and ask them questions about madeup events, they would do just as well as Americans. As for the Harvard professors, they probably rarely come down from their ivory towers, so it's isn't as surprising as it should be.</STRONG>
The thing about it that is so funny is the absurdity of the topics he engages in: stopping the slaughter of the woolly elephant in Toronto, new laws that allow dogs over 5 kgs to be house pets, Canada opening its first university, asking if Canadians should embrace the fact that 80% of the population is mildly retarded or should we do something to fix it and of course the 20 hour clock. This is not taking a picture of somebody famous and asking you to identify them. I don't think it means people are dumb just gullible

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
<STRONG>

nobody asked.</STRONG>
Its been questioned here once or twice before. Then again, I wouldn't expect much more from a mornon who starts up a thread trying to generalzie for an entire group of people.

And I happen to beleive that a man's country is not just a certain area of land.

It is a principle.

And partiotism is a loyalty to that principle.

Understand? I doubt it shmerek...or is that schmuck?
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 09:15 PM

<STRONG>

Its been questioned here once or twice before. Then again, I wouldn't expect much more from a mornon who starts up a thread trying to generalzie for an entire group of people.

And I happen to beleive that a man's country is not just a certain area of land.

It is a principle.

And partiotism is a loyalty to that principle.

Understand? I doubt it shmerek...or is that schmuck?</STRONG>
Can you read? Was I talking about patriotism? Where did I make any generalizations about a group of people?!? I just commented on a TV show. This thread has nothing to do with the others about the US, Europe or any other nation. Just a TV show and save the name calling for the playground.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 09:17 PM

[QB]Let me ask you one thing...

HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GENERALIZE FOR AN ENTIRERACE OF PEOPLE???
I didn't realize that Americans were a separate race?!? That is news to me.

elppa cam
Jul 2, 2001, 10:38 PM

American's are stupid? What about that Canadian that... he-he... jumped out of a plane and forgot his parachute??? Aw, that's a riot.

Okay... I made that up.

Tell you what... there will be a ton-o-stupid people in hospitals on the Fourth-o-July... Aye Caramba!

Be careful!!!! Happy IndepenDunce Day!
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by shmerek:
<STRONG>

I didn't realize that Americans were a separate race?!? That is news to me.</STRONG>
Okay...let me get this straight. No rants, raves, shouting, flames or smart answers.

The fact is...that someone would eventry to do this in the first place shmerek.

Why would you try to make fun of people purposely. I only sometimes find it funny.

If it is totally fabricated...well people are just tring to make good TV I guess...doesn't mean I have to like it.

And you know...it really makes sick that the entire world tkaes opinions like that.

And just so you know shmerek...I'm for racial equality and there being one race of human beings. As I've said once or twice over the past day or two, without languages, we are just one race of people. Without languages...the principles...patriotism we are all just one group of people. Witohut all the buerocracy, political back lashing, and abuse that many of our people go through is appauling.

So..fine...I love my country/countries. You must understand that.

But I also beleive in other things, such as sticking together as a race of people.

As idealist as global harmony may sound...I still wouldn't mind seing it happen.

And I do beleive it is a possibility. If only some could get their act together.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2001, 09:25 AM

We don't need Canadians to make us look stupid. We do a pretty good job of it ourselves... Jerry Springer, America's Stupidest Home Videos, Rush Limbaugh...

Ameica is full of Jerry Springers and their guests. Look at anyone on the street. Every last one of us could be made fun of on one talk show or another. I call it being undignified. We have no pride in ourselves, and we don't mind being made the fool. No wonder Bush got elected.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules