Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Classic cannot start; "problem saving preferences"

Classic cannot start; "problem saving preferences"
marcmongo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 04:03 AM

First of all, it's a friends 400mhz Imac with 256 megs of RAM, running OSX 10.3.2, and 9.2.2. The problems, sadly, ARE:

Classic will not start. Message reads, "Classic cannot start. There is a problems saving preferences required to run Classic."

QuickTime in OSX will not run. "In order to function properly, QuickTime needs to know your Connection Speed to the internet. This information is set in System Preferences." Opening System Preferences, and changing the Connection Speed does nothing. Closing System Preferences, and opening QuickTime settings, the Connection Speed is back at 56kbps modem/ISDN, as it was before. (The connection is a fast DSL.)

RealOne Player, iTunes, et al, when opened, behave as they are being opened for the first time after being installed, each time after restart requesting initial data ie prefs.

System Preferences > Software Update cannot run. The error message reads:
"Make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/502/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, then try again." I can't find this.

Switching to OS 9 as start-up disk, the terminal comes up instead, with the message:
"bootstrap_look_up()failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port d64-180-46-139:/root #"
I then have to kill everything with a hard boot/ holding cntrl-opt-comm-esc, and it re-starts into OS 9. OS 9 is running fine, QuickTime and all.

HELP EHLP PLHE HELP
[email protected]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 07:27 AM

Did you try repairing permissions? First rule of using OSX....

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

marcmongo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Did you try repairing permissions? First rule of using OSX....
Good to know there is a first rule, and that I did it intuitively.

Next?

Forum Links
Forum Rules