Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Hard Drive Woes

External Hard Drive Woes
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 04:58 AM

I recently bought an external firewire/usb 2 2.5" hard drive case off of eBay. I've only been using it for about a week, but ever since I've been using it, I've had pretty common crashes, especially when running iTunes or a file-sharing program. I've got all my music on this external Hard Drive, so that seems to be the culprit. And, occasionally when I plug it in I get what sounds like the click of death, and then I either switch USB ports or from USB to Firewire (or vice versa) and the sounds goes away, and the hard drive loads fine.

Am I gonna need to just blow the money on a new nicer external case? Or is there a driver problem or something? Did I just end up with a crappy case?

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 11:18 PM

C'mon... Somebody's gotta know something about this. If it's already been covered, sorry, but point me in the right direction?

mystery
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 03:56 PM

can you be more specific about the "click of Death" ? (seriously) Is the drive mounting? Ive had problems with drives making a clicking noise when spinning up, shutting down ,clicking, spinning up, shutting down...and it was a power supply problem. The enclosure needed to be replaced. Ive also had my external music drive cause my computer to freeze (usually when running photoshop and P2P apps tho I think this is caused by my running 3 cpu hogging apps all at the same time) I think your best bet is to buy an external encloure that isnt the cheapest thing you can find on ebay. Spend some money, if you had in the beginning, you wouldnt have these head aches now.

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 05:57 PM

It mounts almost every time. Only occasionally does it refuse to mount. When it refuses, it makes a very rapid clicking noise for about 7 seconds, then stops for a few, then repeats, until I unplug it from the computer. Most of the time it just causes iTunes to crash (infinitely spinning beach ball). Once iTunes crashes, I try to force quit it and the window closes, it disappears from the top list in the terminal, but the dock icon still has an arrow under it, and if I try to log out/restart it tells me that iTunes can't be quit. Sometimes Finder crashes soon after this, but rarely.

I guess I'll just look for a new case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules