Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive malfunctioning...

Hard drive malfunctioning...
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 04:44 PM

So I bought a crappy case a while back that basically refused to work except on occasion. I put about 75GB of music on it when I first got it and then only used it to grab various albums to put on my main hard drive when I wanted to hear them. Recently, i bought a new MacAlly phr-250cc to put the hard drive in. Now, the hard drive loads, but moves very, very, very slowly and occasionally comes to a complete halt for several minutes (i.e. scrolling in a folder with eig hundred folders takes about 10 seconds per "page"). I attempted to do a permissions repair, but Disk Utility said it couldn't even do that, so I tried using DiskWarrior. DW only gets about halfway through the repair, then says something along the lines of "speed inhibited due to disk malfunction." About this time a quiet clicking noise starts in the hard drive, and after this accessing anything on the hard drive is impossible.

Could the bad case have made the drive irreparable? Are there any other utilities that I could use to try and fix it, or would this be a mechanical malfunction?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 06:10 PM

What are the S.M.A.R.T. parameter values?

sith33
Jan 20, 2006, 02:01 AM

I'm afraid it's almost surely a mechanical problem. Backup while you can..

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 02:09 AM

The only app I could find that would check is SMARTReporter, and the hard drive didn't show up in it (hitachi travelstar 80GB 4200RPM, originally in a PowerBook G3 Firewire that died). So either it doesn't have s.m.a.r.t. or I need a different program to find out.

sith33
Jan 20, 2006, 02:15 AM

I don't believe SMART can be read from firewire drives

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 02:22 AM

Aaaah, well the case has USB 2.0 as well, so lemme try that.

Edit: Well, the drive will apparently only mount through firewire. When I try with USB2 it just makes a clicking noise as soon as I turn the external case on.

I don't have any other hard drives big enough to store this much data on (my internal is only 30GB, and I have another external 40GB, but only one working external case), so backing up really isn't an option right now.
( Last edited by moofman; Jan 20, 2006 at 02:29 AM. )

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 04:27 AM

Disk Utility shows S.M.A.R.T. status (actually... doesn't DiskWarrior do this too? Maybe not).

If the data is valuable to you, back it up, even if you have to buy a stack of DVD-R's to do it. That is, if you can back it up after what happened.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules