Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Job Posting: Looking to Hire

Job Posting: Looking to Hire
Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2012, 01:19 AM

JOB POSTING CLOSED - I found a candidate, thanks for your interest!

I am looking to hire someone for manual data entry (read: boring).
I need to convert a PDF document into a database, and require the candidate to go through said PDF and split out sections of the document into different columns in a spreadsheet (preferred output format: Excel).

I will be paying based on output, not by hour. I don't care when you work or how you do it - providing great flexibility. I went through a subset of the data and timed myself as a baseline and will set the pay-per-peiece wage off of that. Depending on your efficiency your effective hourly wage will vary, but based on my rate of completion the pay will be well over minimum wage.

Note: this is not a permanent job - just a one-time deal.

Send me a PM if you are interested in learning more / seeing a sample of the data so you can measure your own efficiency.

Thanks!
( Last edited by Chips G; Apr 9, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: someone took the job.)
This signature is obsolete.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2012, 09:25 AM

Clever plan!
Tempt all of us into wanting to see how efficient we are with one page and before you know it the work will be done.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 AM

Just don't forget to give each person a different page. If you don't get any takers here, isn't this the sort of thing mechanical turk was intended for?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chips G  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2012, 10:48 AM

Not sure if this first post was sarcastic or not -- I am not here to get free labor from anyone and would certainly not expect anyone who is interested in timing themselves to send me their results. I thought it would be a good way for someone to see how fast they are and if it is worth their time to take on this project before needing to make a commitment.

Waragainstsleep - was not familiar with Mechanical Turk, checking it out now. Thanks.

andi*pandi
Apr 5, 2012, 10:56 AM

I see no prob with long-term members posting job opportunities here.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chips G View Post
Not sure if this first post was sarcastic or not -- I am not here to get free labor from anyone and would certainly not expect anyone who is interested in timing themselves to send me their results. I thought it would be a good way for someone to see how fast they are and if it is worth their time to take on this project before needing to make a commitment.
Sorry, I should have used a winky face or something. I was 100% joking and genuinely appreciate that you would come here first to look to hire someone.

About how many pages need to get entered? At your pace about how many hours of work are we talking about?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2012, 05:35 PM

I might be interest, need to know dead line, a example of PDF to see what is involved.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Chips G  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2012, 01:03 AM

Sorry for the slow response - my GF was in town for the weekend so I took a break from my computer.

Here is a link to the PDF I am hoping to turn into a database. Starting on page A1

I have attached also attached a template of the Excel file I want filled out with the first page completed. This has all of the codes that I am hoping to complete

This job goes by significantly faster if you are familiar with shortcuts (Command-F for find) and Excel commands (concatenate comes to mind). It can be further sped up by those who are familiar with VBA.

Send me a PM if you are interested and hopefully we can work out an arrangement that helps us both!
In terms of timelines - there is no hard one yet, but I would like to have this completed by the end of the month (April 2012) if possible.
Thanks for your interest!

Chips G  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2012, 03:38 PM

Update - I found a candidate who I think will work well.
Thanks for your interest!

Forum Links
Forum Rules