Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powermac 6100 DOS card question

Powermac 6100 DOS card question
cejones
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2000, 11:04 PM

I recently bought a PM 6100 with a DOS compatibility card. Refitted with a big HD, faster CDROM and upped it to 64 megs of RAM. Installed MacOS 9.0.4 and the Mac side runs great! When I switch into the DOS side... I find that I cannot install MSDOS or anything from CD. I have the original manuals and it doesn't say anything about what's wrong. I read online somewhere that OS 8.5 or above does not support the DOS card. But I then found a web site where peoeple have worked on a newer version of the PC Setup software that does support OS 9. Anyone had experience with a working DOS card in a PM 6100 running OS 9. Is it worth it to pay the $30 for the shareware PC Setup? Does it work? Thanks for any info. (BTW, I got the whole machine, plus 15 inch monitor for $150, which I think is a steal

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2000, 12:10 AM

In order to run anything from CD with the dos card, you must first install DOS from floppies, then install the Apple PC disk onto the PC side. This disk contains the drivers to run the cdrom on the mac. The disks should have come with the dos card.

cejones  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2000, 01:17 AM

Therein lies my problem! after switching to the DOS environment, I try to install MSDOS 6.2.2 from the floppies that came with the card. It says "Starting MS-DOS" but just sits there... and locks up. I hear no floppy access and I can no longer switch back into the Mac environment... I understand that there is a problem creating a PC disk image from within MacOS 9.0. The online info I have seen suggests installing MacOS 8.0 and stalling the PC side and then upgrade the Mac side after the PC side is setup...

Sounds like a pain... but it looks like the only option so far...

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2000, 06:05 AM

I believe apple dropped suppotr for its dos cards with 8.6, fyi

------------------
-See Yea!

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2000, 08:57 AM

There is a third-party company that is creating OS9-compatible drivers for this card, but I don't remember the name of the company.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Sep 29, 2000, 07:59 AM

Greetings,
You can also try the following suggestion from the DOS compatibility card user's guide; "when you see the message "starting MS-DOS", press and hold the F5 key. This will bypass the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Edit the CONFIG.SYS file so that the HIMEM.SYS driver looks like the following:
DEVICE=CDOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
Restart the PC".
Good luck.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2000, 02:23 PM

Hello Doctor,

you might be referring to PC Setup 2.x, which is available at

http://www.pcsetup2x.com/

You may be also interested in another site for the DOS card at

http://pw2.netcom.com/~sgulie/doscardfaq.htm

and the MacDOS card mailing list:

http://saratoga.tmnet.com.my/macdoscard/

Best regards,

Walter.