Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod mini. May ye rest in peace. (Pic)

iPod mini. May ye rest in peace. (Pic)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 23, 2006, 11:55 PM

It hit the ground.

Disk Utility seems to think the drive is toast. I tried restoring it, but with not much luck. Interestingly, if I plug in a CompactFlash card, Disk Utility can see it (but can't format it). Unfortunately, the iPod mini won't work with the card.

Some have had good results with 3rd part MicroDrives however. Would any MicroDrive work, or are they only specific models? I could get one for a reasonable amount of money, but I think it's time for a nano... or even a shuffle.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 07:54 PM

should be any microdrive, but id replace it with a model from te same company that it was(im assuming IBM)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 09:59 PM

I'm with Karpfish. If you can find a decently priced MicroDrive AND it's from the same manufacturer (is it IBM/Hitachi or Toshiba?) that would be ideal. It avoids any odd interface issues that aren't supposed to be there but often are.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 10:33 PM

It's been a while since I looked into this, but as I recall many iPod minis use special microdrives that cannot be used with a normal compact flash interface. At one point, it was cheaper to buy an MP3 player with a microdrive inside it and remove it than it was to buy the microdrive by itself. While this was less true with the iPod than with some of its competitors, I remember reading about how people had trouble getting iPod microdrives to work in anything but iPods, and I think the reverse is also true (you may have trouble getting non-iPod microdrives to work in some minis). However, there is no shortage of iPod microdrives on ebay, so I'd suggest just getting one of them.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 11:26 PM

I really do prefer the old blue Apple used in their iPod mini. They later updated the mini with a really bright turquoise blue, which is similar to what we get with the new blue iPod nano. Oh well, grey it is for me...
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 25, 2006, 01:35 AM

Instead of ordering the MicroDrive, I just ordered a whole new iPod.

It turns out an 8 GB MicroDrive would set me back something like CAD$140 shipped (US$125). A 4 GB would be under $100, but a refurb mini from Apple is only CAD$119 (US$107). That's the same price for a refurb 2 GB nano.

However, I went the other direction and got a 5G refurb 30 GB. Only CAD$209 (US$187) from Apple. It's even less in the US refurb store, at US$179.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 02:22 AM

Nice. Enjoy!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules