Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple Pro Speakers on iMac or iBook?

Apple Pro Speakers on iMac or iBook?
mkd
Mar 17, 2001, 05:17 AM

Doesn anybody know how I can connect the Apple pro speakers to my iBook SE 466? (Minijack to Headphone jack) Preferably withought splicing the wire... An adapter would be nice... Thanks!
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

Bobby
Mar 17, 2001, 10:20 AM

I highly doubt an adaptor exists (I could be wrong though). The headphone jack is designed to carry both audio and power to the speakers. Even if you cut & spliced the wires, the speakers still wouldn't get the power they need to operate.

I'm guessing about the only way you could ever get Pro speakers to work on an iMac would be to find the USB version that came with the Cube. Then again I don't even know for sure if that would work...

------------------

mkd  (op)
Mar 17, 2001, 05:01 PM

Well, actually, you could find the voltage and aperage from the Pro Speaker box or instructions, then go on down to Radio Shack and pick up a genaric adapter to match. As for the sound, it would probable work fine with a generic Radio Shack hearphone jack.
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2001, 05:37 PM

FYI:
The cube speakers and the G4 Tower speakers are different....ive been told....

Cube's are digital i believe....

iMac is analog?

just a little tid bit

------------------
"Yes, yes, i know the proceedure for armed robbery, i do work in a convience store you know."
~APU~
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 02:06 PM

It won't work. Period.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 10:22 PM

damn. are you sure there's no way to do it?
and play the game existence to the end

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2001, 11:40 PM

if you could find an adapter that would probably work, but i'm not sure they exist. And even if you could do this there wouldnt' be enough power for you to get good sound from the speakers (this applies only to the g4 tower or pro speakers)

heres what i would do, and am considering doing

splice the wires, and hook the speakers into this
small amplifier
you'll need to get a case for this thing, and also a transformer or ac adapter (also available from this site)
solder the wires into this thing, and then get some headphone mini jack type wire and plug that into the computer on one end and solder the wires on the opposite end to the mini amp
attatch the case and solder in the adapter and you should be set
granted this is a pretty big production to just get these speakers to work, but it's possible
you might be able to find different parts for this (maybe at better prices) but these are the only i know of
if you can get this to work, it should produce at least decent sound, and you'll definitely have enough amplification for the speakers

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: gto47 ]
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules