Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > slow loading icons on the desktop

slow loading icons on the desktop
parisblue
Oct 30, 2000, 06:13 AM

I'm running System 8.6 on a 8500 which has been upgraded with a Sonnet G3/3000 card. I am having problems with my desktop icons. When I start the computer the icons load slowly and one at a time (about half a second each). Subsequently, if I open and then close any diaglog boxes the icons that were behind the dialog box take their time appearing again and I can't do anything until they appear i.e. the system won't respond until the icons are visible. I have no problem working within one application or if I move from application to application without going via the desktop. Though copying things from Excel to Quark take a long time.

I have rebuilt the desktop a couple of times using TechTool 1.2.1 and zapped the PRAM with the same software to no effect. Anyone out there have any idea what my problem is and any suggestions for things to try short of reinstalling the system software? This is driving me crazy.

As usual, any help would be much appreciated.

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2000, 09:41 AM

This is an easy fix...

Go to the Appearance control panel and click "Desktop." Once there, click "remove picture."

You're probably saying that you don't have a desktop picture, which is correct. The slow icon drawing problem happens when you select an image with non-compatible format for a desktop. Don't ask me why, but it does...

parisblue  (op)
Oct 30, 2000, 10:12 PM

Thanks Misha. The problem appears to have been both what you mentioned and a corrupt QuickTime file. I heard from someone else that QuickTime is necessary for Appearances to work. Thanks again.

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2000, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by parisblue:
I heard from someone else that QuickTime is necessary for Appearances to work. Thanks again.
Huh? That leads me to believe you don't have Quicktime...

Cipher13

parisblue  (op)
Oct 31, 2000, 06:25 PM

No, I do have QuickTime. I just put that in so that anyone looking at this thread in the future might want to check their QuickTime file - to check for corruption etc.

cmensing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2000, 03:12 PM

Sounds to me like your running low on ram...
When ram starts to tap out, Screen (desktop) redraw will start dragging.
Is this possible?

parisblue  (op)
Nov 5, 2000, 09:51 AM

My problem has been solved. Misha's suggestion and a corrupt QuickTime file it was. I have tons of RAM. Thanks for the reply though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules