Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Parallels Desktop Discounts?

Parallels Desktop Discounts?
nickw311
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 03:07 AM

I downloaded the trial version for Parallels and love it with the coherence mode but was wondering if anyone knew of any way to get a discount on it. I am a student and I was wondering if there was a student discount that I could get, similar to the student discounts offered by Apple. I would love to purchase the software but at $80 it is kind of pricey for a student.
27" iMac C2D

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 09:35 AM

Best bet is to contact your school (campus computer store?) or the company directly.
( Last edited by crazyjohnson; Dec 24, 2006 at 01:43 PM. )
Change your world and you will change your mind.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 11:47 AM

I second crazyjohnson's advice. If your school has a Mac store, all the better. I think I can get it for about $60 through my school's computer store.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 03:20 PM

I may have to do that, I don't really know if the school has a computer store since I am in grad school but I will look. $60 is a little better than $80.

Right now I am trying VMware but I want to have the coherence mode.
27" iMac C2D

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 08:19 PM

Which school? There are a number of them in and around Toledo... Look at this convenient site and see if there is one on your campus. For some reason that particular page does not want to show any schools if I include the state... Odd. Anyway, they list eight different schools in Toledo, from Davis College to University of Toledo and U of T Law School. I'll bet yours is in that list.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2006, 04:01 AM

I am in the UT School of Law, I am takin a look now. Thanks!

Edit:
Well I took a look and Parallels is still listed at $79 with the student discount... Kind of a shame.
27" iMac C2D

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 10:40 PM

Also -- I BELIEVE Comp USA was running a rebate earlier in the week. (Actually, I know they were, I just don't know when it ended.) I don't have an Intel Mac yet, but I was tempted to buy it anyway, in preparation. (Waiting for after MacWorld...)

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Also -- I BELIEVE Comp USA was running a rebate earlier in the week. (Actually, I know they were, I just don't know when it ended.) I don't have an Intel Mac yet, but I was tempted to buy it anyway, in preparation. (Waiting for after MacWorld...)
Thanks for the info, I will try to check out CompUSA when I get back to Toledo.

Also you probably should have bought it since Parallels has free updates for a year.
( Last edited by nickw311; Dec 26, 2006 at 02:51 AM. )
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules