Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook speed

ibook speed
phyrephox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 02:49 AM

Mother of god I'm so frustrated! I come from a windows background but I needed a laptop and the OS didn't matter. I did a little research and found the ibook to be the best for the money. So now I'm running the 500mhz g3 with 384mb of ram in 10.1.1 and it runs slower then hell! With just Opera and aolim open it cranks through every operation from opening a new window to clicking on a link. This is is practically new, there is almost nothing on the harddrive to slow this baby down and it just craaaaaawls through everyhing. Why?????

Paulus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 05:09 AM

Thats funny I have an iBook 500 MHz DVD 386 MB ram and my girlfriend
"a wintel user" was surprised at how fast it was (web browsing etc)
compared to her PC at work.
Are you running OS9 or X ? are you sure that there are no other "rogue"
applications still running in background ?

phyrephox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 05:37 AM

running X. i doubt any programs are running in the background, is there an easy way to check? force quiting menu doesn't show any...

OreoCookie
Dec 14, 2001, 08:41 AM

My iBook even has problems typing text from time to time which is really annoying for me.
Scrolling is also quite slow -- but it's still a good machine.
Compared to my 400 MHz PC (Win2k), it's a little faster.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

<key west>
Dec 14, 2001, 10:27 AM

easy...run 9.2 and forget about X until it works....its a toy at this point and a slow one at that

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2001, 10:51 AM

I suppose the relative speed of the ibook depends on what 'wintel' machine you are actually referring to. Are you comparing to wintel notebooks, desktops, old, new, p2, p3, p4?

I use a 450 Mhz P3 Gateway running Win98 with 384 Mb of RAM, and I feel like it performs WORSE than my Rev A. ibook running 10.1. The specs on the ibook are 300 MHz g3, 288 Mb RAM, 20Gb HD(upgraded).

The Wintel systel lags, pauses and hesitates regularly, I am satisfied 95% of the time with my ibook's performance....I just wish it had firewire.

livemotion
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 11:05 AM

as an book user i share ur pain and frustration. I would however, recommend that you run it in 9.2.2 and forget about X.

Paulus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 11:46 AM

Open a terminal window up and type ps -a, this will give a complete
listing of processes running. If you do see something out of place
chewing up processor time note the process id number and type
kill -9 (insert process number here) ie if the process id is 14684 then
kill -9 14684 will stop it.
Be careful what you kill though as killing the wrong thing may cause
your system to lock up and only a reboot will clear it.
Hope this helps

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by livemotion:
<STRONG>as an book user i share ur pain and frustration. I would however, recommend that you run it in 9.2.2 and forget about X.</STRONG>
Well, you have to factor in the time for reboots required by 9.2.2. For some people it's not much, but I personally hate having to reboot at all, and for me, 9.2.2 is soooooooooo much more unstable than OS X. OS 9.2.2 is pretty much on par with Windows 98 SE for stability IMO, which is to say it isn't very stable at all. Mind you, the only program I consistently run in OS 9.2.2 is Photoshop and then only lightly so I have no probs using Classic for it. Fortunately, my scanner driver also runs great under Classic. Everything else I do is fine is OS X. So yes OS 9.2.2 is faster when it's running properly, but overall for me OS X is a much better experience. However, I still agree that OS X.1 needs speed improvements.

By the way, I'm coming from a PIII 600 384 MB laptop with Win 2000.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Eug ]

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2001, 01:03 PM

thats because 9.2.X was made just for OS X and Classic.

Go with a full install of 9.1 and you'll be happy.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

OreoCookie
Dec 14, 2001, 08:05 PM

It's a K6-2 400 MHz desktop, 192 Megs of RAM, 8 gig harddrive.

Well, OS X doesn't react immediately when moving the scroll bar, Win2k does -- yes, the scroll bar moves, but the window is not refreshed. When the scroll bar moves in OS X, the window is refreshed at the same time.

I am not sure, which one is the better �solution' ;-)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 08:59 PM

Why not use IE or Omniweb instead of Opera? IIRC they are both better optimized for OSX than Opera.

Marook
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 11:00 PM

Hi.

Well, I just got a iBook/600 two weeks ago, and this baby screams with OS X 10.1.1.

This 'Book also features the speedier mainbus (100Mhz compared to 66MHz in 500 model) and that makes a huge difference I think.

I'm sorry you're not happy, I think this is the greatest computer I have ever worked with (since 1990).
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

phyrephox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 11:00 PM

Omniweb can't read half the pages I go to and IE loads graphics waaaay too slow on my ibook this thing feels like it's a performa

Stan Jobson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 11:21 PM

My iBook 500 w/ 384mb is pretty fast. The boot up might not be fast, but everthing else is pretty quick. I used 10.1 and it's fast, but not as fast at 0S 9....so, I've been sticking with 9....I use my sister's Windows ME machine sometime to get a good laugh...her's is a 933 P3 machine w/ 128mb...and all I do is laugh...the boot up might be a little bit faster, but overall....I will NEVER give up my iBook for her Dell 933 P3...

Forum Links
Forum Rules