Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > what cd-writer will work with a 8500/275

what cd-writer will work with a 8500/275
Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 09:20 AM

My mate has a 8500/275, and he wishes to install and external cd-writer, he runs OS 8.6, will usb work, if it will, he'll need to get a card so which one. If not, which scsi external cd writers will work.

God i'm glad i run an imac

cheers
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2001, 01:02 AM

No do not even touch USB for CD-RW, under any circumstances. This applys to all computers anywhere. USB for CD burning is a huge mistake and a drive manufacturer conspiracy. USB is too slow to effectively burn CDs at "acceptable" speeds. And for this specific case, the 8500 does not have USB, therefore you aren't going to be able to put a USB drive on this computer (well not without some extra work and extra interface cards). Remember this slogan, keep it simple.

You will be happiest and get the best success if you stick with an interface the 8500 has, SCSI. So, have your friend go out and get an external SCSI CD burner, any type will work, just so long as it comes with Toast, or you go out and purchase Toast to drive the hardware.

Cipher13
May 13, 2001, 06:08 AM

I agree 100% with jeromep's post.

But even if it comes with the OEM Toast, get the Deluxe version too...

As for burners, I'd have to recommend the Yamaha 8824SX which is an external SCSI 8*8*24 speed burner.

The CRW2100, which is 16*10*40 is also available in a SCSI configuration, but only get that if you think you'd need the extra speed - and depending on the SCSI interface (if you're using the inbuilt SCSI then its not fast enough to support 16X write anyway, I don't think) that you're using.

But, whatever you do, Yamaha is the only way to go, and avoid USB like the plague.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Master G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 05:55 PM

Dear Griggsy,

On the site of Roxio, you can check the compatible CD-RW Drives!

Greetings,

Kasper Schoonman

capone
Forum Regular
May 29, 2001, 10:25 PM

Avoid USB for everything but small input devices. Get an external SCSI drive. Check Adaptec's site for what drives toast supports. I have a Yamaha 8424S that works great with all my PPC macs.

------------------
-capone

G4/400 448 30,10 Rage128, Radeon
Performa 6116CD/60/700
Quadra AV
LC 575
LCIII
Apple IIgs

And thats not all

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 08:40 AM

Hi Griggsy,
Although I agree with certain points of USB not being as robust as teh SCSI or firewire options, it is a viable solution for burning (I use USB, Firewire, and SCSI burners). With the 8500, you have several diffferent options. You can find a SCSI CD burner, there are still several good ones out there, or you can opt for a firewire or USB burner (both will require the installation of a PCI card - which is not difficult at all to install -- you could even opt for one of the many USB/firewire cards and get the added benefit of access to both types of interfaces).
USB drives tend to offer slower write speeds because the interface is slower, but that will not affect the overall performance of the drive, its the mechanism inside that counts. Firewire gives you better overall throughput, which tends to allow faster burning speeds.
good luck,
dave

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 08:55 AM

I bought a Plextor 8/20 bare drive and put it in an external case when I used my 8500.
It still burns a CD in 7-8 minutes.
It now lives, attached to the SCSI card in my G4DP.
SCSI is a liitle pricier, but much faster than USB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules