Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > America...

America...
AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 02:06 PM

Hey, international visitors, whadya think of America... I have heard some pretty nasty comments out there...

I agree with most of them.

------------------
Bored, Albert is.
Speak like Yoda, he will.

Email address of him, [email protected] is.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

mindwaves
Mar 19, 2001, 02:08 PM

1) Ignorance
2) supremracy
3) power
4) idiots
5) opportunity

AlbertWu  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 02:09 PM

fat, ugly, monolinguistic, closed minded

------------------
Bored, Albert is.

AlbertWu  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 02:10 PM

arrogant, selfish, greedy

racist, insensitive

------------------
Bored, Albert is.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 02:18 PM

Geez Al, It seems like you have some issues you need to deal with!

nealconner
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 02:55 PM

[A Typical American]
Other countries than America? Well, that's something new.

------------------
I got my facts from a talking tree.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 03:28 PM

my rants about america:
GREEDY!!!!!
Insensitive to issues like drugs, child abuse, divorce....
and the stupid POINTLESS bickering between the two parties..."im more concernced about fighting republicans" pres. DNC..

how nice mr DNC....im glad you are more concerned about wanting to fight Reps. and not for the working american...

Reps aren't much better...but much better than Dems.....im with you Ca$h...
they both suck...

im in a ranting mood, but ill stop for now

------------------
"excellent, depsite lack of Flubber!" "GLAYVIN!"
Professor Frink

http://homepage.mac.com/gumby5647
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 03:53 PM

I'll get slammed for this but....

The rest of the world is green with envy. We're the richest and most successful nation ever, through our own hard work, and they can't take it. They love to rip us apart and ignore the problems in their own back yards.

Remember when you point the finger at someone else there are three fingers pointing back at yourself.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2001, 05:36 PM

"Is it true, is it true what they say about America?"

--"Everything you've ever heard about America is true somewhere in America."

T

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 05:40 PM

With Scott on this one. America= #1. We got the freaking bombs. We have the $. We have the highest standard of living, the best hospitals, and the best music. And the best part of america? Its highways. You can not truely appreciate America unless you get a GOOD fun car (nothing new), like a 60s-70s car, and hit the open backroads. Its amazing how vast this country is, with such awesome contrasts in beautiful scenery. You can drive through the flatlands, with amazing blue skies and golden fields of corn, hit up the rockies with their massive cold grey rock and brilliant crystal clear streams, drive to the southwest to experience the reddish/orangish rock, cacti, and desert wildlife, you can hit the midwest for beautiful pines and rivers, and california, where its always sunny and warm.

Argue all you want, but this is the best place to live. Canada and Austrailia are up there, but they don't have the variety or 'melting pot' that the US has. And htey have problems too. Canada= bankrupt Austrailia= ozone holes and people who do nothing but post on MacNN and ride kangaroos to school.

- Ca$h

[This message has been edited by gorefan68 (edited 03-19-2001).]

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 05:51 PM

Scott_H you are so wrong - I've lived in the States, the UK, Singapore and Australia (where I was born). The rest of the world is not green with envy - we are smirking at how screwed up you all are.

Yes you're number one -

* first (first world, modern day) country to tie a black man to the back of a truck and tow him along a road until he was dismembered

* first country to tie a young gay man to a fence and beat him to death

* one of the last countries to appeal apartheid laws - I love this - in 1967 a white man and a black woman were jailed for getting married - for being in love - and as recently as 1967! And that is just one example.

* number one hospitals - are they available to all citizens?

* number one in the number of deaths by handguns

* number one in massacres

* number one in ignorance and arrogance of the rest of the world

* you have the highest per capita prison population

etc etc etc etc

You still have a great country - the natural wonders are some of the best in the world - you are at the peak of your reign - all good things come to an end
this sig intentionally left blank

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 05:54 PM

I have to agree with Scott and Ca$h.

Al, why did you start this topic?

Where whould you be if you didn't live in America?
What would your life be like?

Think about all that you have here before you bash the US.
I doubt you would have your Powerbook, or the Cell phone plastered to your ear. I doubt you would have a nice home, and the option to do anything you want with your life.

I know you are young, which is why I'm not giving you a good bashing for this. Time always makes a difference in a persons outlook.
(I'm sure I will be have vastly different views in 15 years.)

America has it's problems, sure. Compared to many other nations, they are insignificant in relation to all the prosperity that we have.

This is the greatest nation in the world.

[This message has been edited by RAzaRazor (edited 03-19-2001).]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Scott_H you are so wrong - I've lived in the States, the UK, Singapore and Australia (where I was born). The rest of the world is not green with envy - we are smirking at how screwed up you all are.

Yes you're number one -

* first (first world, modern day) country to tie a black man to the back of a truck and tow him along a road until he was dismembered

* one of the last countries to appeal apartheid laws - I love this - in 1967 a white man and a black woman were jailed for getting married - for being in love - and as recently as 1967! And that is just one example.

There is hate and intollerence here, but these are limited examples.
I find it hard to believe that crimes such as these and even worse examples do not happen in other countries.

The marriage example is just plain bad. A lot of things change in 34 years.
That was a very turbulant time for the nation in terms of race relations.

Hospitals are available to all citizens. They are required by law to treat a patient regardless of their ability to pay.

I Agree with the Handguns statement, I would like to get rid of guns.

Massacres? I can think of many other countries where the people kill each other because they are of a different ethnic background. When was the last time you heard about an attempted genocide in the US... Hmmm, NEVER!!

As long as this country has mix of different cultures, there is going to be violence. People hate each other, even if there is not a good reason.

Are you going to tell me that you happily accept the influx of Asians into Australia? That there isn't occasional acts of violence between Aussies and Asians.

I would find that highly unlikely.

Nobody is perfect. Many People are jealous of what we have. That is the truth. They hate us for what we represent - A life that they want, and cannot have. Which isn't always the case.

Also, many people assume that all Americans are rich. That simply is not true. The brother of a friend of mine was kidnapped while on a Mission to Venuzuela. They wanted an absurd amount of money for his return. This family was barely keeping the light on in their house, and food on the table. They ended up shooting him in the Leg, and dumping him in the street when there was no money.

Had they known, they probably wouldn't have bothered to kidnap the guy at all. (Ok, this is a whole different topic.)

-------
"Kids are nothing more than Glorified STD's!"

[This message has been edited by RAzaRazor (edited 03-19-2001).]

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 06:15 PM

america is capitalistic. that explains a lot. their lives are driven by the economy. make money = make a life. with this capitalistic outlook on life, people without money seem inferior and their problems seem insignificant. for those with the money, make the rules, and those without...get the shaft. id say america has its problems but i wouldnt trade it for any other country. even with its problems many countries develop themselves to be like the usa and many people want to live in the usa. something must be right for them to want that.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 06:18 PM

* first (first world, modern day) country to tie a black man to the back of a truck and tow him along a road until he was
dismembered

The first two are not things that our country did. They were done by individuals. They were caught and thrown in jail. Some are on death row. Many Americans worked very hard to investigate, try and convict those people. I guess you missed that part of the story?

We do have public hospitals here. In Holland people wait four weeks to see an oncologist when they find they have cancer. Nice to let it grow in your body while you waiting huh?

We do have a different culture that's for sure. Never said we were perfect.

Where did you get that stat from? Only a ignorant person would make such a statement without proof.

This coming from someone living in the largest penal colony in the world.

Remember when you point the finger at someone else there are three fingers pointing back at yourself.
As true as when I posted it the first time.

Oh BTW Bite my shiny metal ass.

[This message has been edited by Scott_H (edited 03-19-2001).]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 06:31 PM

Hmmm... Looking through the news today. (www.news.com.au)

Let's see...

Western Australia
Rock Thrower Strikes Again
A SERIAL rock thrower who has been haunting Perth for months continues to elude police after apparently taking his bizarre and increasingly dangerous penchant to the western suburbs over the weekend.

Police were yesterday investigating the most recent attack but could not confirm that it was linked to a series of almost 20 such violent assaults on lone pedestrians since August last year.

On Sunday, Jane Dunn, 38, was badly injured after being struck by a brick apparently tossed from the window of a van. Ms Dunn was walking along the street when, she says, a white van slowed alongside her and the driver hurled a brick at her head.

Ms Dunn suffered a suspected broken arm in the attack. The white van she described appears to be the same van identified in most of the earlier attacks, all of which occurred in Perth's eastern suburbs.

The weekend attack could mean the offender has shifted his attention to the west or that there was another rock thrower on the streets.

The serial attacker has targeted 17 young children and female pedestrians in the Midland since August, pitching bricks, rocks, and even knives and an axe at them before speeding off in a white courier-style van.

Victims included a 10-year-old girl who fell from her bike when knocked unconscious by a brick-sized rock.
Yeah, I can take things out of context and make a whole Country Look Bad Too!

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 06:46 PM

(Risking serious flaming)
I attend a Canadian university and have had the "pleasure" of meeting many Americans. Generally the ones that I have met have been arrogant, loud and obnoxious. Many of the posts on this thread prove the point of arrogance. Yes America has bombs and lots of cash but big fricking deal. As far as western society goes America consumes the most and is the most destructive. I do not envy the fact I am not American I am proud that when I go abroad that I can say I am Canadian. I get tired of hearing Americans claiming how great they are blah blah. Bragging is for the insecure and the moronic.

ps
"This coming from someone living in the largest penal colony in the world."
Scott this is not a rebuttal but a bunch of crap.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 06:52 PM

Do you think I intended that as a "rebuttal"? And they call us stoopid.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
Do you think I intended that as a "rebuttal"? And they call us stoopid.
You were listing off all his points and then trying to disprove them that equals a rebuttal in my books sarcastic or not.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 07:05 PM

I don't know what kinda fancy learnin' books you read up there but we aint go no use for them down here. Burn 'em we will.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2001, 07:09 PM

It's easy to run down a country you don't live in. That includes me. I live in Midwest America, and I have NO reference of other cultures or countries (aside from what I read or see visually). Some of you have been priveleged to have lived in more than one country, including America. I think I live in a good country. I'm not sure about where you live, but here (in the Midwest), people are kind, generous, helpful, humble and just generally good. EVERY country has its crappy spots. EVERY country has di**heads running about everywhere. EVERY country has had financial difficulties at one time. EVERY country has racial, religious and sexual persecution.
I think we're missing the big picture here. If we, as a planet, can't get our s**t together, nothing will ever change. We b**ch about our leaders, our economy, family values, and the general conditions we endure on a daily basis. What have you done about any of this? I'm not excluding myself here, either. I'd certainly like to see a Utopian society, but I know it's not going to happen.
All I can do is be the best husband, father and HUMAN BEING I can, and secure my place in a decent world.

------------------

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 07:21 PM

Okay, here's my opinion, as a person growing up in this country of ours. Keep in mind I've only been to Canada besides here, so I don't have a huge frame of refrence, but it's my opinionated rant just the same:

If I didn't know what was going outside my house, I wouldn't have a thing to complain about. I get food every day, I'm clothed, I go to a nice school, and generally my life is good. I could be living under a bridge somewhere or counting my ribs in my spare time�from a purely personal perspective, America has treated me well.

It's when I step out of my house and look at the big picture, come out of my isolation, and take a look at what's happening elsewhere that America starts to lose its prosperous demeanor. This country strives on stupidity�it worships it, celebrates it, and nourishes it. Take a man in the highest position in this country who graduated with a gentleman's B (was it C? who cares ...). Take the 75% of my school that thinks Windows is a superior platform because it "has better Internet service" and "a 3D interface." Take the half-assed AOL�tailored for stupid people�which is unquestionably the most dominant Internet software out there for kids and adults alike.

America has to get out of its individualistic, greedy stance and start taking things from a global perspective. Is it a coincidence that most of those who are in positions to advance the world�environmentalists, humanitarians, inventors, teachers, musicians, painters, and the like�leftist, often by definition? America sits on its haunches while people get shot, people starve to death, and the country goes to pot because its citizens are on the whole too stupid and too apathetic to care. America has got to put behind it the idea of the triumph of the "common man" and come together for the benefit of the earth as a whole.

My 2 9/10 �

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Garrett Nelson, Webmaster, Cognition
"Are macs better than PCs? Is the Pope Catholic? Do presidents tell lies?"
and play the game existence to the end

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 07:43 PM

America has to get out of its individualistic, greedy stance and start taking things from a global perspective.

That's just a stereotype. The US is always the first to help other countries out. Earthquakes, starvation, war.... We help out a lot. A lot of American doctors and densits go all over the world.

Is it a coincidence that most of those who are in positions to advance the world-environmentalists, humanitarians, inventors, teachers, musicians, painters, and the like-leftist, often by definition?
Another stereotype. What "definition" is that? Don't let the teachers union make you think all teachers are liberal democrats. That aren't.

As true as when I posted it the second time.

"Is it true, is it true what they say about America?"

--"Everything you've ever heard about America is true somewhere in America."
That's the best thing posted in this thread.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 07:51 PM

That's the best thing posted in this thread.

There are also a lot of people in America. For every rich person I see, I must see at least 20 that live on the streets. Just because they are true somewhere does not make it a statistical advantage. I'm sure there's people who've climbed from the top in Rwanda somewhere too.

Granted, America has a lot going for it. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more not going for it.

------------------

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 07:56 PM

Yea and when I was in Amsterdam there were heroin addicts all over the streets. I guess that makes the dutch better than us?

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 08:03 PM

I never implied that the Dutch are better than us. I've never been there so I cannot give you a personal opinion ... what I'm saying is that the United States has no claim whatsoever over the "top spot" in the countries. It certainly beats out Djibouti, but when you look at cold, hard facts�education, literacy rate, lifespan, crime rate�the United States does not do so well. It's probably tough to see from your perspective ... but go look at a trailer park. Go look at the inner city. Go tell me how many people there are in this country whose lives and spirit have been crush, torn, and adulterated by the constant battery of ignorance.

------------------

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:09 PM

Yea and when I was in Amsterdam there were heroin addicts all over the streets. I guess that makes the dutch better than us?
The point is that no other country makes so many claims about how great they are like the americans do. Get over yourselves.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2001, 08:11 PM

What other countries?

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:12 PM

France does.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
What other countries?

heh heh

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:13 PM

Japan does to.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:15 PM

And as we can see Canadians have a lot to say. Aussies too.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 08:15 PM

Does Britain? Does Germany? Does Russia? Do the Federated States of Micronesia? The number of countries who don't inflate themselves ten times past their true worth is a lot bigger than those who do.

------------------

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:22 PM

I saw on America's Most Wanted that there's a network of pedophiles helping an American pedophile escape justice. Great. Thanks Euro's. Is that leagal over there. 'cause it aint here.

[This message has been edited by Scott_H (edited 03-19-2001).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 08:29 PM

There are also a lot of people in America. For every rich person I see, I must see at least 20 that live on the streets.
"People you see" is not a valid statistical sampling technique. If you hang out in the inner city, you will see more poor people. If you hang out in Beverly Hills, you will see more rich people. But poor people here do not starve in the streets. Most poor people have cars, multiple TVs, microwaves, and other benefits that are a direct result of our capitalist economy.

We're all in this forum because of the products of Apple, an American company. The Internet took off because of mostly American companies like AOL and Cisco. Most medical, engineering, and other scientific breakthroughs are made here (human genome, Mars missions, titanium laptops...). Is this just a coincidence, or is it possible that capitalism really does work pretty well? It's not perfect, but it's better than the alternatives.

mindwaves
Mar 19, 2001, 08:32 PM

I have to say that Americans have to be proud of their country. After all despite all the bad stuff on it, it is arguably one of the best places to live in because it has lots of opportunity and good fundamentals despite a few flaws. Remember that every great counttry/nation in history has always thought of themselves as being higher than other people so it is appropriate for Americans to feel that way. Remember that America rose as th world's number 1 country after the WW 1 because the war led to a great economic boom and it WW 1 did not leave the U.S. in desstruction unlike Great Britian (who was number 1 before and during WW 1. As the world's only superpower, I feel proud to live here and despite a few foibles in our system, I feel that most people in the world look up to the U.S for aspiration and admiration.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 08:33 PM

* first (first world, modern day) country to tie a black man to the back of a truck and tow him along a road until he was
dismembered

It is both ignorant and immature to characterize America as a country full of racists and murderers based on a few isolated incidents. If you want to flame America based on economic or political decisions, so be it, but it's incredibly arrogant and unfair to stereotype American's based on a small list of crimes.

Do you really believe American's condone and encourage such acts of hatred and violence? Sheesh.

As to the general question of "America," I believe it's the country everyone loves to hate. If everyone was willing to stop for a moment and examine the good we've done as a nation, I think the general attitude towards America would be quite different.

Then again, it's much easier to spew hatred and ignorance, so why bother?

------------------
www.joshology.com
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2001, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
The point is that no other country makes so many claims about how great they are like the americans do. Get over yourselves.
There's nothing particularly special about American boastfulness -- it resembles the boasts of other empires past; e.g., that British one on which the sun never set -- thanks in part to Canada, of course. I think sometimes Americans forget that this country shares both strengths and weaknesses of these empires past, empires that have always in the end unravelled.

You boast when you're the man. OK. I gotta tell ya, this "Do we or do we not live in the greatest country in the world" theme suspiciously resembles to me "who's got the biggest d*ck." Vanity and wishful thinking.

One can be a patriotic American and still see lots that could be fixed in this country (ah, we're a nation of pragmatists, which gets us into a lot of trouble while troubleshooting) -- and one can be a patriotic American and still enjoying the barbs tossed at us across our borders. I especially enjoy those cultures that make fun of Americans...why not? A great big target!

All of this talk is supported by stereotypes...which is not to say it's invalid, but true only so far. So for me, when I think of some kind of large categorical idea like "Americans", I think of people who basically mind their own business and live their lives, who are a little perplexed that things might be run differently elsewhere in the world and are always a little happy to return home where things make sense.

'Course, these people may not have much in common with other Americans, those that project another kind of "Americanness" into the world: both the business and media types putting a version of our lifestyle out to see and be consumed, or the government and military types who project power out into the world because that's what empire-builders, dreamers and guys with big guns do. Different facets of America.

Finally, I think there is a whole lot of commonality between Western countries, and that's not just because we have successfully deployed McDonald's restaurants to the far corners of this earth. The differences between cultures are great and interesting, but talk about them often masks the striking similarities.

IMHO/T

madra
Mar 19, 2001, 08:35 PM

america may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization."��(John O'Hara)

------------------

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Mar 19, 2001, 08:39 PM

I'll get slammed for this but....

The rest of the world is green with envy. We're the richest and most successful nation ever, through our own hard work, and they can't take it. They love to rip us apart and ignore the problems in their own back yards.

I totally agree. I grow tired of other countries criticizing us. Shouldn't they be concerned about more important things (as you said) in thier own back-yards? No It's not "perfect" here in the U.S. but I served my country for two years in the US Navy, and My Father (whom was born in Newcastle England and his Family Migrated to the U.S.) volunteered to fight in WW2, an Uncle was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese Empire struck, and another Uncle was at Iwo Jima.

Once I dumped the whole "angry young rebellious" attitude and started persueing what I want out of life I realized I can do or be anything I want to be here. The ones that never get anywhere are the ones that continuously blame it all on "society" and "the government". Rather than getting up off thier duffs and doing something about it all

When I was over in Europe in the service I saw lots of things that made me realize, that there is definitely a certain "falsitude" about some countries. I saw much more poverty and whickedness to be honest than I've ever seen here. Basically "not all it was cracked-up to be".

So yeah I definitely believe it's jealousy, and If I get flamed for my honesty than so-be-it Sure there's crap that goes on here in the U.S. which I don't agree with, but after being over in Europe for about 6 months I was homesick. It made me appreciate what I have here. I mean I actually saw mothers selling thier own daughters into prostitution over there in some countries.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 03-19-2001).]

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:40 PM

I think I forgot to tell you all to bite my shiny metal ass? Oh! I see I did that already.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
So yeah I definitely believe it's jealousy, and If I get flamed for my honesty than so-be-it

Mike
I can say for myself that I have never harboured any jealously towards the US. I have plenty of opportunities here in Canada and elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by shmerek (edited 03-19-2001).]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2001, 08:54 PM

Scott_H - That was cold, but yet quite artistic.

LOL

[This message has been edited by osiris (edited 03-19-2001).]
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Daishi
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 09:11 PM

I would say Americans have a (deserved) stereotype as arrogantly nationalistic and excessively individualistic. I really think the American emphasis on the individual has been taken a bit too far and sense of community and accountability needs to return. (Watch daytime Fox and count the ambulance chaser ads to get my drift). But on an individual basis, as long as everybody keeps their flags in their pockets, Americans aren't all too different from Canucks, Japanese, Germans or even (*shudder*) the French�.

� It's not that I have anything against the French. I'm sure there are some really nice french people. I just haven't met any yet...

[This message has been edited by Daishi (edited 03-19-2001).]
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Mar 19, 2001, 09:17 PM

yeah if only we lived in this perfect utopian society where there were no Borders and No need for Money like in Star Trek

Well it would be kinda neat. The entire planet as a whole striving towards singular goals instead of separatism. But I don't foresee this happenning in my lifetime

It is a great ideal world however, and ultimately what we should strive for instead of our petty differences.

Mike

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
yeah if only we lived in this perfect utopian society where there were no Borders and No need for Money like in Star Trek

Well it would be kinda neat. The entire planet as a whole striving towards singular goals instead of separatism. But I don't foresee this happenning in my lifetime

It is a great ideal world however, and ultimately what we should strive for instead of our petty differences.

Mike
they do that in the show futurama kinda...there are no countries. just one flag with the earth on it. strange tho that the flag has 13 stripes and instead of stars its got a picture of earth. does that make it the united states of earth?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:

Yes you're number one -

And England never tortured people. Sure.

Doubt that. A lot of people have been beaten to death, some of them were probably gay. Duh.

Uh. Slavery still EXISTS in other nations. Go yell at them.

Yep. Just not illegal immigrants

WE have the most people killed in cars as well. What's your point?

Lot of people here. Some are weird.

Or maybe we don't like people who come here to bash the USA but have stupid points easily retorted by a 20 year old kid.

We have a lot of laws.

I don't like you.

- Ca$h

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
(Risking serious flaming)
I attend a Canadian university and have had the "pleasure" of meeting many Americans. Generally the ones that I have met have been arrogant, loud and obnoxious. Many of the posts on this thread prove the point of arrogance. Yes America has bombs and lots of cash but big fricking deal. As far as western society goes America consumes the most and is the most destructive. I do not envy the fact I am not American I am proud that when I go abroad that I can say I am Canadian. I get tired of hearing Americans claiming how great they are blah blah. Bragging is for the insecure and the moronic.

ps
This post further validates a stereotypical stupid canadian. Why? You are basically saying that all americans are loud and obnoxious. Uh. Ok. If you can stereotype, so can I. Every canadian I have met lives in an igloo.

- Ca$h

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by garrettnelson:

There are also a lot of people in America. For every rich person I see, I must see at least 20 that live on the streets. Just because they are true somewhere does not make it a statistical advantage. I'm sure there's people who've climbed from the top in Rwanda somewhere too.

Granted, America has a lot going for it. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more not going for it.

Weird. In madison, I see a whole lot more rich people than bums. :|

- Ca$h

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by garrettnelson:
I never implied that the Dutch are better than us. I've never been there so I cannot give you a personal opinion ... what I'm saying is that the United States has no claim whatsoever over the "top spot" in the countries. It certainly beats out Djibouti, but when you look at cold, hard facts�education, literacy rate, lifespan, crime rate�the United States does not do so well. It's probably tough to see from your perspective ... but go look at a trailer park. Go look at the inner city. Go tell me how many people there are in this country whose lives and spirit have been crush, torn, and adulterated by the constant battery of ignorance.

Actually the US has the highest standard of living, the longest lifespan, and the best hospitals.

Forum Links
Forum Rules