Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Has anyone tried SuSE 7.1 yet?

Has anyone tried SuSE 7.1 yet?
hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2001, 12:43 PM

I was just wondering if SuSE 7.1 had support for PowerBook G3 (FireWire) - as LinuxPPC Q4 does not. It states so on SuSE's website ... What about Power Management (e.g. going to sleep when the lid is closed)?

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2001, 12:53 PM

I am interested in SuSe as well.
Am close to buying....someone stop me!!

Originally posted by hmr:
I was just wondering if SuSE 7.1 had support for PowerBook G3 (FireWire) - as LinuxPPC Q4 does not. It states so on SuSE's website ... What about Power Management (e.g. going to sleep when the lid is closed)?

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2001, 12:59 PM

Yes, I'm either close to buying or downloading. Does anyone know if I can download the whole package - then where/when?

Heimir.

virga42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 09:11 AM

I am using SuSE 7.0 now and I would rate it as a good distro. I started with SuSE 6.4 and just recently upgraded to 7.0 from their ftp site using their tool YaST. Everything went well, no problems. I also downloaded SuSE's most recent kernel for the 7.0 package (2.2.18) and have had no problems. KDE2 is working well too.

Generally SuSE only allows you to download the version previous to the most current. And they do not provide INSO files.

As far as I know 7.1 for PPC is not available, it should be released soon. I am anxious to update to 2.4.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2001, 10:48 AM

What hardware do you have? I am very interested in SuSe. I have a G4 now
with plenty of storage and ram, and I am a bit disappointed in OSX.
I have $300 in OSX and it is not that good as far as I can tell.

Originally posted by virga42:
I am using SuSE 7.0 now and I would rate it as a good distro. I started with SuSE 6.4 and just recently upgraded to 7.0 from their ftp site using their tool YaST. Everything went well, no problems. I also downloaded SuSE's most recent kernel for the 7.0 package (2.2.18) and have had no problems. KDE2 is working well too.

Generally SuSE only allows you to download the version previous to the most current. And they do not provide INSO files.

As far as I know 7.1 for PPC is not available, it should be released soon. I am anxious to update to 2.4.

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2001, 05:06 PM

RichardET:
I aggree with you. I'm really dissapointed in Apple for releasing an unfinished product like Mac OS 10.0(.1) is. As far as I can see, it's totally unsusable - that's why I'm going over to Linux and will use MOL for applications I must use (like my awesome dictionary, Word Translator).

I'm buying SuSE 7.1 if it has Pismo/PowerBook G3 (firewire) sound support.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2001, 12:11 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are the unfinished features that you require? I have been using it since PB, and as a Mac user there are things I cannot do anymore, but as a Linux user I still feel worlds ahead.

For instance, I can run any servers that Linux can (once they are ported - not Apple's fault), I can use the terminal to my heart's content, and the infrastructure I would characterize as remarkably stable. The only aspect of the system which is not feature complete is mainly the UI, and I still feel that it is leaps ahead of Linux (at least Apple focuses on useability, not 'cool features' like having your network status monitor display in 3D beneath four levels of translucent terminals setting on a background which is a VRML world etc etc etc.)

The other stuff I can wait for. Besides, Apple will move a lot faster toward supporting things like USB, FireWire, the Open Firmware, etc, then I believe the Open Source community can.

virga42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2001, 09:24 AM

In response to what hardware I have:

I have SuSE running on an ibook. There is no sound support yet. I can live with that. Actually someone has a kernel that will do it but I am not confident enough to try it myself.

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2001, 09:43 PM

absmiths:
Me and Mac OS 10 haven't quite got along, so I'm a bit edgy when it comes to the new system. I guess I just have to give it some time - Classic works great! Much faster than I had imagined - I hardly notice a difference in speed.

There are many features missing from Mac OS 9, but I'm sure Apple will put them in one-by-one somewhere down the road.

The 10.0.1 update did solve quite a few bugs that had annoyed me.

Anyway, this topic isn't supposed to be about Mac OS X - I'm here to talk about SuSE 7.1!

sodamnregistered
Apr 12, 2001, 05:39 PM

I've been using SuSE 6.1 to 7.1 on Intel. I bought 7.0 for PPC and have tried it out on a G4/450 and a Pismo 500. Worked well on both systems. Very fast.

SuSE is a fine company that cares about their product. I'd reccommend SuSE 7.1 for PPC if you have a chance.

Since you have to put a MacOS partition on the disk anyhow, it's practically a dual boot out-of-the-box.

Enjoy.

hidozage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 11:10 PM

I just did a pre-order of SuSE Linux for PPC at their website http://www.suse.com They say it might ship within a week or two

"Apple is like a strange drug that you just can't quite get enough of, They shouldn't call it Mac. They should call it crack!" musician Barry Adamson told the Guardian newspaper.

zagmac
Apr 25, 2001, 11:49 AM

I have SuSE Linux 7.1 running on an iMac DV SE 400 mhz. It is a dream compared to 6.4. XFree86 4.0.2 out of the box, much better usb support and also some great progress in sound support as well, although the later can still use a bit of tweaking. Both KDE2 and Gnome 1.2 or if you like neither, there is Enlightenment. They finally have openssh working out of the box as well, so you can make secure connections. At this point it beats OS X with a stick (in speed and stability). YaST2 is also improved with a new online update feature - makes keeping your system up to date a breeze (that's another reason to get 7.1, since 7.0's update features are still pretty cumbersome.

I am still fairly new to linux, but I would highly recommend it to anyone willing to tweak a truly tweakbale OS (unlike OS X nothemes B.S.)

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2001, 12:18 PM

Yes, I'm really interested in it, but I have to have sound support - and SuSE Support has yet to reply to my enquiries (which were sent over a month ago, so I'm not holding my breath).

Keep posting.

dwade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 02:56 PM

I have installed 7.1. I have a 7500 with a G3 Sonnet upgrade processor and 128 MB RAM.

I have kicked the tires of LinuxPPC before and have struggled with pdisk. Eventually I successfully installed it, but couldn't get the modem to operate, nor my printer. Somehow or other I managed to obliterate KDE from my startup and could not figure out how to amend.

With a brand new install on a disk partitioned as SUSE suggests, I installed about 250 MB of data. I have a cable modem which I persuaded the system to recognise too easily. For the most part, it seems to operate fine. I downloaded updates to my files from the suse ftp site without incident. I still haven't managed to make my Epson 740 get recognised. I am waiting to register until I exhaust my patience, and then I will see what the 60 days' free tech support on instal is like

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 27, 2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Just out of curiosity, what are the unfinished features that you require? I have been using it since PB, and as a Mac user there are things I cannot do anymore, but as a Linux user I still feel worlds ahead.

For instance, I can run any servers that Linux can (once they are ported - not Apple's fault), I can use the terminal to my heart's content, and the infrastructure I would characterize as remarkably stable. The only aspect of the system which is not feature complete is mainly the UI, and I still feel that it is leaps ahead of Linux (at least Apple focuses on useability, not 'cool features' like having your network status monitor display in 3D beneath four levels of translucent terminals setting on a background which is a VRML world etc etc etc.)
!??! Whaaa? Mac OS X is only eye candy!! Apple has built amazing frameworks, but for now, all the GUI does is sit there and be pretty... it's so far from finished it's not even funny! In OS X Apple has gone against so many of the usabilty guidelines they themselves laid down 20 years ago, just for the sake of looks! See www.asktog.com and www.useit.com for examples of what I am talking about (look up "Fitt's Law" in particular). Linux, for now, has bad usability merely because it was designed almost completely by programmers who honestly didn't know any better, and did their best. Apple has a fleet of UI designers, yet the graphic artists there seem to have the say of things...

Sorry to take this thread on such a tangent, it's just that Apple's UI decisions in OS X absolutely infuriate me!

If I can get a copy, I will install SuSe 7.1 and see how well that works... if only SuSe had readily available ISO disc images...

tooki

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2001, 09:17 PM

tooki: I totally agree. Mac OS X is purely eye candy (but that'll change, I'm sure, with time).

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2001, 09:22 PM

The problem with OSX is not its look & feel, but where does it fit in,
with regard to Unix distros? We have linux, solaris, AIX, HP, BSD, ATT.
Why OSX? It seems like Apple's version of OS/2!

ktolis
Apr 28, 2001, 08:10 AM

I don't think so.

From all the OSes I have seen OS X is the only one that get easily installed and upgraded. If I would have to rate the installation process only for OSes then OS X would get about 9 at a scale of 10 and most of the others at around 3. There are some installers on linux that work quite fine but all of them have to scare every one else away because of the crude formating utilities or the not-so-foolproof install processes they offer (although allmost all do the same job more or less).

I am working on installing linuxppc on my pismo@500 pb for a year now with almost no success. I even called friends of mine that swear on the name of linux and i can recognise them as linux gurus to help me with no success either. on my 6100 with G3 upgrade I installed almost right away.

OS X also installs and works an all the machines it says it does and most of the time an many others too. Linux in contrast doesn't and this one is still a fact.

As far as the OS itself is concerned I think the OS is quite fine at this stage. But it lacks on 2 things: end-user applications and developer(lower level) applications. The first one should be covered this year. So say all companies that make software for OSX and they are not few. As far as the second one is concerned, if people that work on linux make a library for running linux (ppc) binaries or linux object-code (e.g. libraries) then we could have the most advance os (this time for real) and the most cheap one (linux is NOT cheap at all. Not all people have the required bandwidth to download the isos, buy them from others or buying them from a store. Ok maybe they can buy them but they would have to learn the guts of their machines to make them work properly and untill then about 6 monhs would pass)

ktolis
p.s. I am about to buy osX when I have the money (around June) but untill someone makes an iso that an install linux on my pismo I won't cosider working on it at all. I don't want to waste my time at all for now.I am a student an I want to do my homework. now.

------------------

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 28, 2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by RichardET:
The problem with OSX is not its look & feel, but where does it fit in,
with regard to Unix distros? We have linux, solaris, AIX, HP, BSD, ATT.
Why OSX? It seems like Apple's version of OS/2!
You're implying that Mac OS X is going to try to break into the UNIX standbys, the server and high-end workstation markets. The latter perhaps a little bit (look at Maya), but OS X is most decidedly not being marketed as a server OS!! It is being marketed as a desktop OS, specifically as the descendant of Mac OS 9. In its current state, OS X cannot replace Mac OS 9 because OS X is missing too much functionality. I tried using OS X as my main OS and had to go back to 9, because there was simply too much that I either couldn't do at all, or that was MUCH harder to do than in 9.

Mac OS X is supposed to carry on the Mac legacy with style. Instead, it is NeXT with more eye candy, and modernized innards. For now, OS X is not worthy of wearing the "Mac OS" name, if you ask me.

tooki

ktolis
Apr 29, 2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
You're implying that Mac OS X is going to try to break into the UNIX standbys, the server and high-end workstation markets. The latter perhaps a little bit (look at Maya), but OS X is most decidedly not being marketed as a server OS!! It is being marketed as a desktop OS, specifically as the descendant of Mac OS 9. In its current state, OS X cannot replace Mac OS 9 because OS X is missing too much functionality. I tried using OS X as my main OS and had to go back to 9, because there was simply too much that I either couldn't do at all, or that was MUCH harder to do than in 9.
I agree on both things but you will have to give os x a brake because it just start up. (1 month os ...cm' on)

Mac OS X is supposed to carry on the Mac legacy with style. Instead, it is NeXT with more eye candy, and modernized innards. For now, OS X is not worthy of wearing the "Mac OS" name, if you ask me.

tooki
you think linux can be categorized as an end-user os? I don't

Things will get better in (around) 1-1.5 years for os x. For linux it will take much longer as the progress on most sub-projects shows.

linux is actually earning with time more of the programmers-workbench characterization. os x on the other part is way from that (although unix was supposed to be just that).

os x is a "client" or end-user user that for the time is just in an baby state. os x server on the other side is something else. I have seen some betas of the new server and i can only say that things are getting better.

linux on the other side ...i don't get it ...which market does it try to break in? the usability of linux as a set-top (as they call them ) server os is way far from current mainstream server os's (AIX, Solaris, Irix)

I can agree that linux is getting better but the problem with it is that I can't see when exactly this will happen...

ktolis

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2001, 11:44 AM

ktolis -

I don't follow your logic at all. Linux is on virtually every platform.
OSX is on Apples only, and some recent clones. OSX is built on simply
another open-source unix clone but with a very advanced GUI, totally
incompatible with X. This will inhibit OSX developer interest in the
long run I think.Diehard Mac users are not going to want carbon apps.
The want Cocoa apps.

IBm found out that simply having a better GUI - "Workplace Shell," was not enough to attract developers. ironically OSX uses the same kernel OS/2 used. Talk about history repeating itself!

OSx may be "new" and perhaps I need to be more patient, but Apple took years to develop what we now call OSX. This is not a good signal.

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2001, 04:11 PM

Okay - we DON'T all hate Mac OS X, BUT it sucks ANYWAY (Apple! Give us back our beloved Mac OS!)

Any SuSE 7.1 PowerBook G3 (Firewire) users? Reports? Thoughts? ....

[This message has been edited by hmr (edited 04-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hmr (edited 04-30-2001).]

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2001, 07:31 PM

I don't hate OSX..I was using it fulltime till recently. I am annoyed with Apple since they could have saved a bundle by simple joining the linux
movement and put the R&D into better machines at cheaper prices.

toshigen
May 10, 2001, 10:13 AM

All this talk about OS X vs. Linux is fine and all... but doesn't belong in this thread.

Please, can anybody give us a report on SuSE Linux 7.1 on a Pismo? Does it install without any major problems? (unlike LinuxPPC which won't even load the installer properly when trying to boot from the CD)

I noticed a while back that CompUSA was selling SuSE Linux for PPC 7.0 - I'm going to go back soon to see if they have 7.1

virga42_temp
May 10, 2001, 11:24 AM

I just received 7.1 in the mail yesterday. The update from 7.0 to 7.1 was easy and painless. Upgrading the kernel from 2.2.18 to 2.4.2 was also a breeze.

I finally have sound on my ibook and have been able to print to my Epson 740 printer with no manual configuration.

So far so good. I am really pleased with this distro. More later.

firegod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 02:07 PM

How about suse 7.1 and the TiBook??

is it only up for cd purchase? beta testers? downloadable? Last i checked only 7.0 was available for ppc...

I desperatly need linux installed alongside macos, macos alone is *killing* me

-=C=-

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2001, 09:04 AM

Can suse 7 run on my Powerbook 1400cs/G3?

------------------
iMac DV 400 (Lime)
1.5 mb/ sec aDsL
OS 9.1 & OS X
Powerbook 1400cs/G3 333mhz (overclocked cache @ 222.1mhz)

toshigen
May 24, 2001, 01:19 AM

for what it's worth, I stopped by CompUSA yesterday and they are selling SuSE Linux 7.1 for PPC now. The didn't have it in the Mac section - instead it was in an aisle that had all the Linux distrobutions.

I may ask for it for my birthday

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2001, 02:52 PM

I hope you get it!! Happy Birthday!

Originally posted by toshigen:
for what it's worth, I stopped by CompUSA yesterday and they are selling SuSE Linux 7.1 for PPC now. The didn't have it in the Mac section - instead it was in an aisle that had all the Linux distrobutions.

I may ask for it for my birthday

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2001, 08:59 PM

I had SuSe 6.4 but abandoned it when OS X PB came out. Now 7.1 is available, but so too are OpenBSD 2.9 (PPC bootable and supports latest hardware, security), as well as YDL 2.0 based on RedHat. Choices. I like that. Better able to appreciate each while waiting (impatiently) to see when OS X gets a more complete feel.

Very tempted by YDL right now for $30 or OpenBSD $30 (and then there is Darwin 1.3.1 just to see what that's about).

larryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Gregory:
I had SuSe 6.4 but abandoned it when OS X PB came out. Now 7.1 is available, but so too are OpenBSD 2.9 (PPC bootable and supports latest hardware, security), as well as YDL 2.0 based on RedHat. Choices. I like that. Better able to appreciate each while waiting (impatiently) to see when OS X gets a more complete feel.

Very tempted by YDL right now for $30 or OpenBSD $30 (and then there is Darwin 1.3.1 just to see what that's about).
As noted on YLD site, nVidia chip (I have GeForce2MX) is not supported. So, no YLD for me. I installed SuSE7.1PPC. The instalation went smoothly, except, again XFree-4.0x does not support GeForce2 on PPC. I can only run 8bpp in X. Looks horibly ugly. I emailed SuSE and waiting for their reply for a work around if there is any.

Mandrake just starts rolling out its beta PPC. I personally like MD on x86 platform. I don't want to try the beta yet since my video card is a known problem.

About OpenBSD, it is an excellent OS but you can't mess around with it much, i.e., compiling new package. It seems like if there isnt one in the port directory, you are out of luck unless you are a programmer.

Why on earth I want to install Linux when I already have OSX? Speed and usability (for now), my friend. Don't get me wrong, I bought my first G4 part of it because of OSX. But now I'm kinda disappointed after 4 days. I can't even make a data CD in OSX. The mail.app has never been working right with my imap account. Soundblaster Live didnt even work.

Please correct me if I state any untrue things about OSX since I'm fairly new with this OS.

Thank you much.

-Larry

<trey>
Jun 3, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by larryn
:
<STRONG>

As noted on YLD site, nVidia chip (I have GeForce2MX) is not supported. So, no YLD for me. I installed SuSE7.1PPC. The instalation went smoothly, except, again XFree-4.0x does not support GeForce2 on PPC. I can only run 8bpp in X. Looks horibly ugly. I emailed SuSE and waiting for their reply for a work around if there is any.

Mandrake just starts rolling out its beta PPC. I personally like MD on x86 platform. I don't want to try the beta yet since my video card is a known problem.

About OpenBSD, it is an excellent OS but you can't mess around with it much, i.e., compiling new package. It seems like if there isnt one in the port directory, you are out of luck unless you are a programmer.

Why on earth I want to install Linux when I already have OSX? Speed and usability (for now), my friend. Don't get me wrong, I bought my first G4 part of it because of OSX. But now I'm kinda disappointed after 4 days. I can't even make a data CD in OSX. The mail.app has never been working right with my imap account. Soundblaster Live didnt even work.

Please correct me if I state any untrue things about OSX since I'm fairly new with this OS.

Thank you much.

-Larry</STRONG>
Hey Larry, I found out the problem with IMAP accounts in Mail.app. You have to go to your Library/Mail whatever directory (Sorry I removed OS X so I can't check exact pathname). Your account folders are listed here, in the imap account folder, there should be 4 mailboxes, inbox, deleted messages, etc. Yea it's obvious the mail.app developers haven't used anything but UW imap or something similar. Anyway those mailboxes exist (locally) on an account that is created during the mac os X setup wizard, after installation, so from that account, i just copied the folders over to the second imap account, then restarted mail.app and it worked when i clicked on the inbox. also, if you're having problems deleting messages, you have to go to preferences and uncheck the part where it says to move messages to "Deleted MessageS" when deleting messages. :-D

btw if your curious, i just REALLY like the look of platinum compared to aqua, that's why i removed os x. hehe

dwade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by virga42_temp
:
<STRONG>I just received 7.1 in the mail yesterday. The update from 7.0 to 7.1 was easy and painless. Upgrading the kernel from 2.2.18 to 2.4.2 was also a breeze.

I finally have sound on my ibook and have been able to print to my Epson 740 printer with no manual configuration.

So far so good. I am really pleased with this distro. More later.</STRONG>
I am impressed. I have an Epson 740 which I am struggling with. SUSE is taking me through the process step by step. I can send jobs to the printer directly, but, at the moment, it looks like once a job heads for the spooler, the printer isn't started up. Any ideas?

I installed kernel 2.2.18 intially. Where are directions on how to upgrade to 2.4.2?

Have you tried MOL? I use an Old World Mac (a 7500), which has a G3 upgrade card. It looks like finding and installing the correct ROM is a problem. Any ideas?

Is this off topic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules