Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Linux performance on Apple hardware

Linux performance on Apple hardware
vsurfer
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:56 PM

Since I have no PC to compare with i am curious about what everybody thinks of Linux performance on Apple hardware.

I am pretty happy with the speed of SuSE Linux (2.2.16 kernel) on my iMAc DV G3 400 with its 320 MB ram

The only quibble i have is when you grab a titlebar to move a window - it's kinda jerky and imprecise in a lagging kind of way. I am curious is this just the nature of an Xwindow server or would it be better on a different kind of machine?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2002, 03:22 PM

I'm also curious to hear what Linux-on-Mac users have experienced. I am contemplating installing YDL on my 350 MHz slot-loading iMac, pimped up with 768 MB of RAM and a 40 Gig HD. I would be dual (triple?) booting between YDL, Mac OS X 10.1.3 and Mac OS 9.2.2.
Is it worth the time and effort?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

v0id7
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 10:23 PM

Its too bad linux doesnt run on new hardware...i still cant get mandrake to work on my quicksilver and ydl wont work cause my internet connection just doesnt work in it
_______void_______

vsurfer  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>I'm also curious to hear what Linux-on-Mac users have experienced. I am contemplating installing YDL on my 350 MHz slot-loading iMac, pimped up with 768 MB of RAM and a 40 Gig HD. I would be dual (triple?) booting between YDL, Mac OS X 10.1.3 and Mac OS 9.2.2.
Is it worth the time and effort?</STRONG>

Mal'o,

If you're curious about the Linux experience, i'd say it's well worth it. I think there are more than a few things - multiple desktops - better integrated menus that offer food for thought. Some of the commercial distributons such as SuSE come with a wide array of packages/applications for every concievable thing from Java e-commerce to asteroids and ham radio.

It's very neat having multiple desktops and multiple windows manager at your disposal and whim. as a newbie, it's interesting for me to use command line stuff i did in OSX and have it work in Linux -- or not as the case may be.

I rely on, and thoroughly enjoy OSX as my main squeeze, but I like to fool around with Linux. As I don't need to use it for a lot of things, it's more a fun experiment in possibilities for me.

As a windsurfer i once remember wondering for years if I should also try surfing (would I have time? would it conflict?) well I'm very glad I did...there was definitely room for both in my life. Ditto Linux and OSX.
I

hidozage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 11:50 PM

Wait till Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 comes out on mid-March.

Built from Red Hat 7.2 foundation.
Default kernel 2.4.18
XFree86 4.2.0
KDE 2.2.2
Gnome 1.4
2 CDs packed with RPMs--over 1,000 in all!
Improved "Cobalt" modem support.
Improved support for NVidia GeForce 2 & ATI Radeon video cards--including ADC digital LCD screens.

The crew of iMaclinux.net even got YDL 2.1 to install and run on the new iMac G4's - iMacLinux.net

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>Its too bad linux doesnt run on new hardware...i still cant get mandrake to work on my quicksilver and ydl wont work cause my internet connection just doesnt work in it</STRONG>
"Apple is like a strange drug that you just can't quite get enough of, They shouldn't call it Mac. They should call it crack!" musician Barry Adamson told the Guardian newspaper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules