Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what the people are spending their welfare checks on.

what the people are spending their welfare checks on.
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2002, 11:58 AM

my wife works for a cable company. she got a call today from someone looking to sign up for digital cable service. so shes going through her usual speal and the customer says she wants a digital cable box for each of the 3 TVs in her house. so my wife says its however much a month plus 6.95 for each additional cable box, and the lady says "we're on government aid, mam....you cant expect us to be able to afford that"

how much did i pay in taxes last year so people on govt aid could sign up to have the platinum digital cable service? argh.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 12:04 PM

Drugs.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 12:04 PM

Giving people money is not the solution to poverty. If you gave that lady a million dollars, she would be broke next year.

The solution is to incarcerate these individuals.

just kidding.
*empty space*

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2002, 12:11 PM

MMMMmmmm nothing like when you don't wanna find a job to have a nice cable service to watch while your pumping out kids. Then parents that actually work hard for a living and are putting two kids through college have to pay an exuberant amount of taxes. Great system we have here.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>Giving people money is not the solution to poverty. If you gave that lady a million dollars, she would be broke next year.

just kidding.</STRONG>
and don't forget about castration.

Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 12:14 PM

<STRONG>The solution is to incarcerate these individuals.
</STRONG>
Na, we can turn them into dog food or garden fertilizer.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2002, 12:17 PM

People on public aid (I think it is called Section 8 now) that abuse it, get away with too much. They are usually healthy people who are able to work just like the rest of us, but are obviously lazy.

I worked with this girl once, (who got paid more than me about $5,000 annually) and was still on public aid! We both worked for local goverment. She got caught, but she went right back on it. Eventually she left to work in the private sector. Some people are greedy, and feel they are entitled to it.

Your right, giving people money is not the solution to proverty.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
<STRONG>

Na, we can turn them into dog food or garden fertilizer.</STRONG>

For use on the crops they'll grow on the government-sponsored poor farms?

brilliant concept.
*empty space*

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 12:21 PM

Being tired of being broke is the solution to poverty.

*empty space*

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2002, 12:27 PM

The right way to do it is to provide child-care assistance and then tie the welfare to a work-program or some measurable method of progress.

Then: Tie any *ANY* drug conviction to immediate loss of ALL benefits.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 12:30 PM

You guys are about 5 years behind the times? Ever hear of welfare "reform"? The examples given here are of folks abusing the system, and if caught, they will go to jail (happens regularly in my neck of the woods).
Now food stamps is a different story. I just love being in the supermarket check-out line behind somebody who is using food stamps to get lobster.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 12:35 PM

Gee I don't know maybe food and lodging. When I was on welfare in Alberta I received only $396.00 which had to pay for my rent, food, transportation, phone, and yes cable tv; but, I never went out and after looking for a job all day I kind of like to watch a little bit of tv; it took me 7 months before I found my first job here (and 872 applications and overr 30 interviews). Unless you have been in that situation start being more compassionate.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Monique:
<STRONG>Gee I don't know maybe food and lodging. When I was on welfare in Alberta I received only $396.00 which had to pay for my rent, food, transportation, phone, and yes cable tv; but, I never went out and after looking for a job all day I kind of like to watch a little bit of tv; it took me 7 months before I found my first job here (and 872 applications and overr 30 interviews). Unless you have been in that situation start being more compassionate.</STRONG>
Have you also had to put two kids through expensive colleges, while paying taxes on your house with absolutely no gov't help whatsoever? How about working 40 hrs a week in construction for 35 years just so you don't have to be hard up for money? In that case you should see why people get so angry when welfare people abuse the system. Granted, your case is one that we like the welfare system to be treated, its not always the case.

Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Monique:
<STRONG>Gee I don't know maybe food and lodging. When I was on welfare in Alberta I received only $396.00 which had to pay for my rent, food, transportation, phone, and yes cable tv; but, I never went out and after looking for a job all day I kind of like to watch a little bit of tv; it took me 7 months before I found my first job here (and 872 applications and overr 30 interviews). Unless you have been in that situation start being more compassionate.</STRONG>
All I remember is that you were on these forums all the time bitching how you hated Canada and wanted to be American. You should have put that much effort into night school.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>You guys are about 5 years behind the times? Ever hear of welfare "reform"? The examples given here are of folks abusing the system, and if caught, they will go to jail (happens regularly in my neck of the woods).
Now food stamps is a different story. I just love being in the supermarket check-out line behind somebody who is using food stamps to get lobster.
</STRONG>
Was this a national thing, or a state-by-state thing?

I do know that some states are more conservative in their welfare programs than others.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 02:14 PM

<STRONG>Now food stamps is a different story. I just love being in the supermarket check-out line behind somebody who is using food stamps to get lobster.
</STRONG>
... that's probably because the person buying the lobster purchased the food stamps from the original recipient for a 20% cash discount while the original recipient took that cash to buy cigarettes and booze.

Keep the rubber side down!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>

Was this a national thing, or a state-by-state thing?

I do know that some states are more conservative in their welfare programs than others.</STRONG>

National, although some states started programs along the same lines before the Feds got into the picture. I believe Wisconsin was one of the first states to make significant changes.
/mal

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by flatcatch:
<STRONG>

... that's probably because the person buying the lobster purchased the food stamps from the original recipient for a 20% cash discount while the original recipient took that cash to buy cigarettes and booze.</STRONG>

Bingo! I was in a Subway sandwich shop a year or two back, and the guy behind the counter was buying food stamps at 50% of face value.
/mal

dillerX
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 05:15 PM

Two words: "Personal Responsibility"

Most people now days do not have, do not want, or are too stupid to understand what it is.

Everyone is a victim. Everyone has some reason the government "owes" them. Everyone seems to think that throwing more money at the problem is the solution.

We have a $2.3Billion deficit in Minnesota this year because of the economy. Our legislature has overthrown the veto of Gov. Ventura because they seem to think that draining the rainy day fund is the solution. They have not even thought about solving the problem, which is dumping all these wasteful programs, along with making people, schools, and themselves "personally responsible" for the actions they take, and the $$ they are in charge of.

Take my city (Alexandria) for instance. Some people are FINALLY actually reading the budget reports that are listed in our paper due to the economic situation. It seems our city leaders spent almost $50,000 on travel last year. We are a city of just over 8000 people. Where the hell do our leaders need to travel too? Can you say scandal?

Well, it seems that maybe they just need their budget increased. That will solve the problem right?

FREE MONEY never works. Making people work for their money does. You take responsibility when you are accountable for what you get, and what you do.

I am done ranting now thank you.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2002, 05:40 PM

the moment the 'aid' programs evolved into 'entitlement' programs we formed a segment of society who believe that this is a career path.

Make it temporary, don't automatically increment aid when another mouth arrives. Try, try to instill a desire for self fulfillment instead of expecting society at large to come to your aid each time you fail.

Finally, don't whine that the society keeps you down! It's a tired untrue rant that does nothing to advance your interests.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Mar 2, 2002, 12:47 AM

Oh man, tell me about it. I live in arelatively low-rent area of town. It's not a "slum" per-se, but it's not the "best" part of town either. Why do I put up with it? Cheap rent mainly. Anyway I ALWAYS seem to get stuck behind these Welfare cases at the grocery store, and what really KILLS me is it's usually a woman with one kid and she's got a shopping cart literally STUFFED to the top (almost overflowing). There I am with my 13 items (just 1 item over being able to use the "express" checkout).

All I can think to myself is "Does this woman and her 1 kid need what apopears to be $500.00 worth of groceries for 1 week? Is this woman stocking-up for the next 3 months? If so, why? we live in an urban area, it's not like wer'e out in the Himilaya's or something." Then they have to do whatever it is they do with those W.I.C. things which seems to take forever. So in the end I spend like 2 hrs getting my 13-20 items which usually runs me something like $20-$30 per week (that's basically what a weeks worth of food costs me).

There's tons of people in my area that abuse welfare. It's really sad to see because these kinds of women (sorry ladies, but you are at an advantage in this department over us men) don't see thier children as anything more than a meal ticket, cable T.V., free rent, etc., etc.

I do believe there are decent mothers who don't just "rape" the welfare system, it's just sad there's so many more who do and they're the ones that give it such an evil stereotype. I also do believe that a person must take advantage of things like Unemployment and Welfare when they have no other choice.

The other side of the fence for me was when I was married and my wife had just lost her job. I told her she needed to collect unemployment so we could manage to get by, since what I was making at the time working even like 12 hrs per day still wouldn't cover our expenses. She was such a stubborn b_tch about it. She was too "proud" to collect unemployment as if it would mean she would be the equivalent of a "bum".

So we sufferred for like months before she could find work and I had to borrow from people, and eat-into what was left of the inherritance my mother left me in trust with my brother. All because she couldn't just collect her unemployment which was rightfully hers to collect

Mike

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 12:57 AM

Where are the fathers of these children?

Before I am asked to pay for the upkeep of another man's child - EVERY effort better have been made to obtain funding from the man who fathered the child.

If I didn't have sex with her, why should I buy the diapers?

Can't find a job? I'll find you one within 5 minutes. May not be your dream job...but mine ain't MY dream job either.
*empty space*

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2002, 12:59 AM

Sure, you pay heavy taxes, but if the person who files them knows what the hell they're doing you get a fat rebate every year.

we've been on both sides of the system, and btw mike, that one kid was probably the only one she could bring, or such, etc, etc.. though I've seen some people with WIC waste at least 3000 a month on food and throw away almost all of it.

Hey, what if you started out a great day, go to work and get laid off with a pink slip from your 60k a year job, come home to find your house evicted because you forgot to pay the rent, and in the midst of all that, realize that all your belongings were stolen because the owner put them out in the street?

Very unlikely to happen, and I do agree anyone with a job BETTER OWN THEIR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! As well, I can think of people on the good side doing stupid things:

Some people will buy a new house, and buy 3 new cars, just to have them all in the driveway all shiny, then 3 months later they file bankruptcy, the house gets foreclosed, they go onto welfare ,and suddenly do all sorts of crazy things? *shrug*

Then there are the people who are downright stupid, i can name a few in my city who (women) have babies at 15, then instead of growing up they have another, and another, and YET AGAIN another, until suddenly whoopee they're on welfare (it happens)

There are few honest people, if you are one, pat yourself on the back [
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 01:01 AM

you need to learn more about taxes.
*empty space*

Joshua
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 01:32 AM

Welfare, feh. Call it what it is: theft.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>Sure, you pay heavy taxes, but if the person who files them knows what the hell they're doing you get a fat rebate every year.
</STRONG>
hahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahhahahahahaha. spoken like a true 14 year old.

�
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2002, 09:53 AM

Each welfare-consuming unemployed person should eat 15 packets of butter every day. This way we can get rid of the buttermountain that Benelux economy created.

(there is too much butter here, to keep prices stable, the government stockpiled the excess of it
T E K N O

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2002, 11:32 AM

If you're getting a fat rebate, there's something wrong- you're essentially giving the government a no-interest loan on your money for the course of the year. Why should they get that?

You've done your taxes right when you don't owe them, and they don't owe you.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
<STRONG>Two words: "Personal Responsibility"
</STRONG>
I couldn't agree more.

I know someone on unemployment who is getting 320 a week. I make about same at my commission based job, and I'm the #2 biggest seller in the district.

If someone is receiving government aid they shouldn't be able to have cable, and they should have to do at least 8 hours of community service a week.

Better yet, we should abolish most forms of gov't aid. At the beginning of the 20th century 25% of Americans were poor. That number was declining till LBJ came up with his "war on poverty" and instituted welfare, then the % of poor people stopped declining and has remained at 12 ever since.

Brandon

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by theUpsetter:
<STRONG>If someone is receiving government aid they shouldn't be able to have cable, and they should have to do at least 8 hours of community service a week.</STRONG>
I like that idea. As long as people are on wellfare, they should at least have to work for it (as long as they still have time to look for a real job).

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 2, 2002, 05:37 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:54 PM. )

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2002, 06:39 PM

In our city, we just recently cut &gt;$200,000 out of the school budget (mostly in technology) to pay for the welfare department who has already burned through their allotted budget for the year ...
and play the game existence to the end

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Mar 2, 2002, 08:04 PM

Okay I understand the people bitching about having to pay taxes for such things as welfare and unemployment. But there's two ways to look at it, at least where unemployment is concerned.

On the one hand, you could not have deductions for unemployment, so you get to keep more of your paycheck. The thing here is now the responsibility is entirely in your own hands what is done with that money. So if you don't choose to put a little of it aside for a "rainy day" you could be screwing yourself when your job decides to give you the shaft.

On the other hand, you get the deduction for unemployment insurance from your pay. When and if you're fired from your job, you can collect unemployment to survive. And why shouldn't you? You payed for it, it was deducted from your paycheck, so it's your money.

The real question is are you responsible enough to save that extra money or do you feel safer knowing it's being saved for you via a deduction from your pay?

While I understand that it sucks to have to pay taxes on things like that I also think the people that don't take advantage of that money when they really need to are complete idiots. I don't advocate the abuse of unemployment or welfare at all, but there's no reason a person truly in need shouldn't get some of thier tax dollars back when they need it.

What's funny is there's literally tons of money available from the government for legitimate purposes such as education, starting a business, etc., etc. Lots of people don't even realize they have a right to those funds because they pay taxes.

If you're still pissed off about having to pay taxes at all I suggest you think about it while you're driving down a newly paved street, or visiting a public park, or in need of the police or fire departments, etc., etc.

The fact is that while it sucks that people will abuse the welfare and unemployment systems, without them we'd have an even higher rate of homelessness, desease, crime, infant deaths, etc., etc. In short, we'd be living in something closer to a third world country.

Mike

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 09:55 PM

or perhaps people would look after themselves.

You assume most people are irresponsible and need 'guidance' from the government.

I hope that's not the case.
*empty space*

FERRO
Senior User
Mar 2, 2002, 10:06 PM

<STRONG>Giving people money is not the solution to poverty. If you gave that lady a million dollars, she would be broke next year.

just kidding.</STRONG>
Dam straight! You said it for me...

------------------------------------

� FERRO 2001-2002

� FERRO 2001-2002

MikeM32
Banned
Mar 2, 2002, 11:07 PM

or perhaps people would look after themselves.

You assume most people are irresponsible and need 'guidance' from the government.

I hope that's not the case.
Like I said, how much responsibility would you be able to handle? If you're suggesting we shouldn't pay taxes at all, then essentially you're saying that we should police ourselves, pave and maintain our own roads, fight our own fires, defend our homes against foriegn armies, etc., etc. Oh yeah, and pay for all the materials to do so out of our own pockets. Hey, if you can do all that for yourself then why not just proclaim yourself, your family, your house and property as a sovereign nation? I'd say go for it since you'd obviously have nothing to benefit from being a U.S. tax paying citizen.

The fact that people are sometimes out of work has nothing to do with "responsibility". I hope you're not suggesting that if a person got fired from thier job and couldn't find work immediately that they're "irresponsible". If so, I'd love to live on your planet. If you're upset that people abuse welfare and unemployment then I totally agree with you. There's no reason a person shouldn't be able to find work within the time unemployment covers. There's also no reason a person of a specific trade or profession shouldn't continue to persue such work without having to settle for "anything".

If you feel confident that you could survive for several months without any money then more power to you. I'd just love to know how you'd do it.

I wonder if the same people that bitch about being taxxed for unemployment have never experienced being out of work and/or can honestly say they've never needed to collect unemployment benefits. It's real easy to whine about something until you've experienced it firsthand.

Mike

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>Okay I understand the people bitching about having to pay taxes for such things as welfare and unemployment.</STRONG>
I don't put welfare and unemployment in the same category at all. People work for and pay for thier unemployment 'insurance'. Like most any insurance, most probably pay WAY more into it than they will ever take out of it. (Personally in my 14 years or so of working, I've collected unemployment once; for a period of about 2 months between jobs back in 1992 or so). Also, unemployment insurance is hardly un-ending-- there's a finite amount in a person's account based on their earnings, and a puny maximum amount given each month regardless of a person's salary, etc. (I think about $300 a week here in Cali- how anyone survives on that, I'll never know). Once it ends... it's "See ya... now go get a job!" To add to it, one is taxed AGAIN upon recieving unemployment benefits that they were taxed to pay for in the first place. Talk about double-jeopardy.

Make a mistake filling out the form? No check that week, wait til the next. Fail to report the earnings on your taxes? You can lose something up to 23 weeks of UE insurance (that you will STILL be paying for of course) for that offence.

So people that work, get a limited, finite, one-size-is-supposed-to-fit-all system that they themselves grossly over pay for and are taxed on twice. Is there any check box on a UE form that increases the amount based on how many kids a person has? (Somehow I doubt it).

People who don't work get a system that in many cases never ends, increases bennies for popping out more kids, and makes stipulations based on earnings in exact REVERSE of UE insurance. (What, you actually worked and earned a decent living? Get out of here!) Do people even pay ANY income taxes on the money they get from this system? (Somehow I doubt it).

Same thing? Not in my book.

I don't have a problem with a social safety net of some sort for people who really *NEED* it... but I think that should be people who are non-able bodied, and completly in every way unable to work. If all the dead beats who could actually work were weeded out of the system, then the **truly needy** could be taken care of royally with money left over to burn... and I'd have not a problem with that.

Problem is- the definition of 'needy' in this country has slid to the point of being taken to mean "anyone with thier hand out far enough".

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: CRASH HARDDRIVE ]

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>

Problem is- the definition of 'needy' in this country has slid to the point of being taken to mean "anyone with thier hand out far enough".

</STRONG>
Bull!! Being poor ain't no joke. The problem with being poor is that it's not just about not having enough money. Being poor means living in a neighborhood where walking down the street can be dangerous. being poor means going to a crappy school that will barely prepare you for some menial labor job you'll be stuck at forever, let alone go to college. Being poor means not being able to afford medicine and doctor visits. These are things everyone should be entitled to, not just those who can afford it. Don't these people deserve the quality of life you and I take for granted?

My mom is a state attorney in Florida. She makes sure that poor people don't get screwed out of their welfare benfits. Seeing people have to go without food because asshole Republicans want more missles and corporate handouts is a hideous hideous breach of public trust.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 01:48 AM

dgs212: Understand that these are largely the opinions of Audi-driving Mac owners and their children. If you want sympathy for poor people try the Dell forums.

They must be full of white trash.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Face Ache ]

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2002, 02:16 AM

OK, welfare-haters, does anyone have a better idea about what to do with the underemployed?
Being able to work requires more then physical health. There are only so many jobs that will even bother hiring someone with no education, no transportation and poor social skills.
And what about single mothers with no money? Day care often costs more then a minimum wage job pays per week.
Sure there are people who abuse the system, but we can't just let people starve. Hungry people are desperate people, and desperation breeds violence.

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>dgs212: Understand that these are largely the opinions of Audi-driving Mac owners and their children. </STRONG>
Which is exactly my point. How could you possibly understand the pain of being poor from the comfort of your 40k a year job and your luxury automobile (or customized racing car, ca$h and company)? It's easy to point the finger when you're not worried about where your next meal is coming from. I suppose y'all support third-world sweatshops as well, so you can have your precious Nike's.

Poverty is everybody's problem. If you live in a world were people are homeless and starving, then there's something wrong. I'm not saying I have any solutions, but at least I'm observant enough to notice a problem.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: dgs212 ]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 03:35 AM

Just look at it as humour.

I do.

Now go back and read the thread again.

Funny huh!!!

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 03:50 AM

<STRONG>
Funny huh!!!
</STRONG>
sarcasm is hardly funny. sorry to be so grumpy, but I'm sick of right-wing fend-for-yourself garbage. I'd like to see right-wingers fend for themselves on 16k a year.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 03:55 AM

Sorry, I don't feel guilty for working 60hr weeks and making money while others don't.

Not even a little guilty.

Feel free to make up for my lack of caring by giving more of yourself.
*empty space*

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 05:08 AM

Well, sarcasm is all I do unfortunately.

The problem with you leftie pinko commie bastards is you tend to attack each other (ie: me) instead of the opposition (ie: them). If half of you didn't vote Green...

You are quickly going to find that you are pissing into the wind in these forums. You are also going to find out how nasty some of these guys can get when you challenge their perception of the world. I largely gave up months ago when it all got rather vile. I did learn some new and exciting words from it all though.

Now I just fire off glib one-liners (the trick is to aim a few inches above their heads).

Many have come and gone before you (in rapid rotation).

I hope you stick around though.

[edit: spleling]

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 05:23 AM

<STRONG>
Many have come and gone before you (in rapid rotation).

I hope you stick around though.</STRONG>
I've been around since last march, and I'm not going anywhere. In the end, I don't care what these brash uninformed nazis say. Hell, most of them aren't even of voting age yet.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by dgs212:
[QB]

Bull!! Being poor ain't no joke.
*sniff sniff* From people like you... it's quite obvious that 'being poor' is largely a state of mind. You seem like one who will do nothing but try and keep others in that state as well... by convincing them that everything is hopeless for them unless they get an endless hand out. Man, you libs are such a shamelessly gloomy bunch. The best thing that could ever happen for 'the poor' is the day a majority of them stand up and tell all the patronizing gloom-and-doom mongering poverty pimps where they can shove it.

The problem with being poor is that it's not just about not having enough money. Being poor means living in a neighborhood where walking down the street can be dangerous. being poor means going to a crappy school that will barely prepare you for some menial labor job you'll be stuck at forever, let alone go to college.
Said by a person using THE FREAKIN' INTERNET; which you could use to deliver right in front of your face-without even having to get up off your fat rear end- a nearly endless supply of information; an instant resource greater than anything that's been available to 99.99995% of human beings that have ever lived on this planet (to name but ONE easily available information source)... but you chose to use it to whine about how 'poor' you are and how it's always someone else's fault. Typical. Chances are great you'll STAY poor with that attitude too. So get used to it.

Don't these people deserve the quality of life you and I take for granted?
Look, don't include ME in your bullcrap. YOU take your quality of life for granted. I REALIZE where mine comes from. I either earn it, or I lose it. Period. I don't make a living based on dictating everyone else provide my 'quality of life' for me because some bunch of sourpuss liberals has me convinced I'm entitled to it.

My mom is a state attorney in Florida. She makes sure that poor people don't get screwed out of their welfare benfits.
Just what the world needs eh? More lawyers.

Seeing people have to go without food because asshole Republicans want more missles and corporate handouts is a hideous hideous breach of public trust.
I love how everything is so retardedly simplistic in a liberal's little world. Why... if we just didn't have missles... poverty wouldn't exist! In your world, is there some sort of missle-for-ending-poverty trade up program? And where exactly does one take the missles, to exchange them for 'ending poverty'? That's always the liberal way though... believe that tossing money at things is the answer. Meanwhile, reguarding all those that are 'starving' because someone used thier entitlement money to build a missle- ignore the irony that we have on average, the absolute fattest 'poor' people on the planet in this country.

Stop pretending the 'poor' in this country even come anywhere near resembling TRUE impoverished people from Eithiopia or some place, or come within a billion miles of knowing what TRUE suffering is compared to many third world people of this world. Give me a freakin' break with all the American 'poverty' bullcrap already.

What of course knee-jerks like yourself fail to ever see in other's arguments.. I said clearly I'm all in favor of assistance for the *truly needy*--- not people who just don't like the freakin' neighborhood they live in. Besides, if any liberal welfare solution did ONE F***ING thing to address any of the silly 'poor' issues you mentioned (like horrid neighborhoods)... then by your logic, everyone who recieves welfare should be packin' up and moving to Beverly Hills I guess. If all your old hashed, tired, worn out ideas are the cure for bad neighborhoods, crappy schools, people who can't get anything but menial jobs, etc---THEN WHEN THE F**K ARE THEY EVER GOING TO ACTUALLY WORK!?

What's ironic.. people immigrate here from third world countries, who had litterally NOTHING in their own country - and end up making fortunes and becoming rich. Then they end up scratching their heads at why so many people that grew up here are such hopelessly stupid slobs who stay in a perpetual child-like state, seemingly unable to rely on themselves-having some sort of deep rooted inferiority complex that ties them to dependancy on others- and don't understand a damn thing about how to make the system work for them.

I know quite a few people from countries where they lived in REAL poverty - who laugh at what people like you get your heart all bleeding over in this country. The people I know like this.. THEY don't need or want your freakin' bleeding-heart fake sympathy for anything... in fact more often than not -newsflash: THEY PITY YOU! Some of these folks can't walk down the street without spotting an opportunity to make a buck.. and can't begin to FATHOM how people BORN HERE can go through thier entire lives seemingly unable to spot what opportunies stare them in the face practically everywhere, and every day- yet they are completely blind to them.

"Poverty' in America seems to be only having ONE color TV, with cable(as in what kicked off this thread) rather than one in each room. Boooo-freakin'-hoo.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 08:12 AM

OK dgs212, MacNN tradition dictates that now it's your turn.

CRASH is truly a worthy opponent.

Good luck.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 10:16 AM

crash harddrive. that was beautiful.

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 11:40 AM

Personally, I believe that welfare is ok, for the short term (as in one to two weeks). If someone can't find a job, its cause they are not looking. McDonalds is ALWAYS hiring, and they have no intelligence standards from what I've seen, so there are jobs to be had.

As stated by someone earlier, it may not be your dream job, but hey, its a paycheck.
iMac therefor iAm

Forum Links
Forum Rules