Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple's "mail' software on 10.2: will it use your own ISP?

Apple's "mail' software on 10.2: will it use your own ISP?
rotuts
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 02:49 PM

Hello,

browsing the new G4's today the description of "Mail' for 10.2 does not say that it requites .Mac to work. will this software manage mail from a current ISP ( like earthlink)?

thanks rotuts

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 03:14 PM

I'd assume that mail in 10.2 works like Mail in 10.1. Which doesn't need .mac. it works pretty much like any other email app.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 03:23 PM

Yes, Mail supports POP and IMAP. Most likely you'll use a POP account with your ISP.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Yes, Mail supports POP and IMAP. Most likely you'll use a POP account with your ISP.
Exactly, Mail.app comes with your .Mac information defaulted into the account section, but you can remove that and add whatever you'd like too...it's really easy.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Exactly, Mail.app comes with your .Mac information defaulted into the account section, but you can remove that and add whatever you'd like too...it's really easy.
Or you can leave the .Mac info and add 4 more accounts like I do. Mail in 10.2 rocks the house. It's super fast and slick.

-matt

parisblue
Aug 15, 2002, 07:31 PM

Not really directly related to the topic, but does anyone know if it is easy to import addresses (and preferably mail as well) from System 9 Outlook Express 5.x to the mail application in 10.2?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by parisblue:
Not really directly related to the topic, but does anyone know if it is easy to import addresses (and preferably mail as well) from System 9 Outlook Express 5.x to the mail application in 10.2?
Sure is, it will take awhile....but it's painless and very easy.

palmberg
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by parisblue:
I have the same question, with a twist. Do I have to be running OE in order for the mailboxes/addresses/mail to import into OSX? I have an external drive that contains all my old Outlook Express stuff from OS9.1, but I'm not running Classic on my iBook, which is the destination for the import (iBook running 10.1.5). So I'd rather just be able to read/import the files I need without actually running Outlook Express.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Sure is, it will take awhile....but it's painless and very easy.

1. To import just addresses you must have them in tab-delimited format. Not so easy.

2. To import Mails choose "Import Mailboxes..." from File menu. The other Mail client has not to run.
Pain is: If you've got an email that starts with a "From" on the beginning of a new line, then Mail.app cuts the mail in two pieces (or more, if you have several "Froms").

At least this happens with Mail 10.1. Anyone tried it with 10.2?

Forum Links
Forum Rules