Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Specific Microsoft Word "How to" Question

Specific Microsoft Word "How to" Question
jszrules
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 05:34 PM

Hi, I'm updating my resume in Word and I'm trying to figure out how to left-align a portion of a line and right-aline the remaining portion of the same line. For example, how would I put "Current Address" on the left side of the page and "Permanent Address" on the right side of the page without left-aligning the whole thing and then using tab, tab, tab, space, space, space, etc. between them? Thanks.

rezrez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by jszrules:
Hi, I'm updating my resume in Word and I'm trying to figure out how to left-align a portion of a line and right-aline the remaining portion of the same line. For example, how would I put "Current Address" on the left side of the page and "Permanent Address" on the right side of the page without left-aligning the whole thing and then using tab, tab, tab, space, space, space, etc. between them? Thanks.
I'm not on a Mac now, but I remember there being resume templates that already have them aligned. Maybe that will solve your problem.

mattyd
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 05:52 PM

Look at the ruler at the top of your document. All the way to the left is a little square with what looks like an "L" in it. If you click in the ruler, it will add one of those "L"s (which is actually a left-justified tab-stop). If you click on the "L" it will change to a center-justified tab-stop, click again and it will change to a right-justified tab-stop.

So, type whatever you want to be left justified at the begionning of the line. Then, add a right-justified tab-stop all the way at the right hand margin, tab to it by pressing the tab button and then type whatever you want to be right-justified.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 05:58 PM

the tab way is the cleaner way to do it, but you can also use tables to do the same thing (just giving different cells different allignments)
cpac

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 07:20 PM

awesome. thanks a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules