Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 1.5 coming today (Nov. 29)

Firefox 1.5 coming today (Nov. 29) (Page 2)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 09:41 AM

I do hope that the Gecko team will get its priorities straight and fix Acid2 support now that 1.5 is out the door. They're doing a lot of nice stuff, yes, but for crying out loud, this was the browser that first got the mainstream to notice Web standards, and first became popular because of its standards support. Now it stands to be the last browser (other than IE, of course) to bring its CSS support into line with the new benchmark, and it's not even on their list of priorities. That comes uncomfortably close to outright hypocrisy.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:06 PM

"Crippling Firefox Bug On Mac OS X"
http://businesslogs.com/technology/c...n_mac_os_x.php

This bug has been around for 3 years and hasn't been fixed. At least now I know why Google Maps always causes Firefox to use 90% CPU on my system.

yaro
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 09:05 PM

I use to be able to do yahoo video with the earlier versions. Now I cannot.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
"Crippling Firefox Bug On Mac OS X"
http://businesslogs.com/technology/c...n_mac_os_x.php
Cocoa applications don't exhibit this bug, but I've learned it's a problem with the Carbon frameworks that Firefox uses.
This person has no clue. Carbon has non-polling mouse tracking available.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...H203-TPXREF109

P
Dec 3, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I'm still waiting for specific examples of features in plugins Firefox support, that's not found in plugins for Safari. The best example I've heard so far is BugMeNot, which is nice convenience but hardly a dealbreaker when choosing browser.
Flashblock. I'd go insane if I had to watch those annoying ads all the time. I'd switch if it hadn't been for that one.

P
Dec 3, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I do hope that the Gecko team will get its priorities straight and fix Acid2 support now that 1.5 is out the door. They're doing a lot of nice stuff, yes, but for crying out loud, this was the browser that first got the mainstream to notice Web standards, and first became popular because of its standards support. Now it stands to be the last browser (other than IE, of course) to bring its CSS support into line with the new benchmark, and it's not even on their list of priorities. That comes uncomfortably close to outright hypocrisy.
Well... It depends on how important you think Acid2 is. One of the tests (about the comments) is quite frankly absurd and the rest are about quite specfic situations of badly coded pages or missing files. Perhaps not the most important thing to spend your energy on if your target is to unseat IE. But of course they should fix it for the next version

P
Dec 3, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Spellchecking is just one of the many services not available in Firefox. Dictionary, Mail, 3rd party services and the rest are missing too. Firefox feels like a second rate Mac conversion, that's all. I use it without hesitation on Linux and Windows, but on the Mac, no. Not yet, not until it feels like a Mac app and works with the OS like other proper apps. One of the major benefits of the Mac OS is the integration between apps and the OS. Firefox ignores systemwide settings like proxies and startpage so one has to change that within the browser when moving between locations. It becomes annoying.

cheers

W-Y
You can get spellchecking through RiteOFTounge:

http://hashcolouredtabs.mozdev.org/riteoftongue/

And a dictionary through Dictionary Tooltip:

http://www.rjonna.com/ext/dictionarytip.php

But I agree with the general idea that Firefox could be better integrated into the OS.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by P
You can get spellchecking through RiteOFTounge And a dictionary through Dictionary Tooltip.
Neither uses the system service which means an unusual interface for both and none of your learned spellings available in the spellchecker.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 02:27 PM

On my iBook, two finger scrolling will randomly stop working under 1.5. I have to restart firefox then it works again.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 08:13 PM

Anyone know how to disable the underlined links under FireFox? I was able to do this using Safari Enhancer for Safari. Is there anything available for FireFox?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Anyone know how to disable the underlined links under FireFox? I was able to do this using Safari Enhancer for Safari. Is there anything available for FireFox?
Add the following line to ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[random].default/chrome/userContent.css
Code:
a { text-decoration: none !important; }

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by P
Flashblock. I'd go insane if I had to watch those annoying ads all the time. I'd switch if it hadn't been for that one.
Both Saft and PithHelmet blocks flash ads... huh?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 09:33 AM

I don't need most Saft & Pithelmet features and prefer not to plug-in if I don't have to.

Can someone give me an exact CSS line to put in the Safari user Style Sheet to block display of .swf files to reduce Flash annoyance? (I'm a stumbling newbie re: use of "*" in CSS )

Thanks!

P
Dec 4, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Both Saft and PithHelmet blocks flash ads... huh?
The purpose isn't to block ads per se, it's to block annoying ads - pop-ups and Flash. Avoiding all those flash intros is quite nice too.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 10:13 AM

Saft can block all flash.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by P
The purpose isn't to block ads per se, it's to block annoying ads - pop-ups and Flash. Avoiding all those flash intros is quite nice too.
Um... my purpose IS to block ads per se.

"annoying ads" = redundant

"extremes annoying ads" = popup & Flash ads

"Flash" = an option I always want to be able to OPT out of.

...IMuHO
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

P
Dec 4, 2005, 05:58 PM

Neither Saft nor PithHelmet is free. Besides, it doesn't look like they do what Flashblock does - replace all Flash content with a play button so the user can selectively enable it.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by P
Neither Saft nor PithHelmet is free. Besides, it doesn't look like they do what Flashblock does - replace all Flash content with a play button so the user can selectively enable it.
^ on my wishlist for next version of Safari!

?Or is Apple not wanting to offend Macromedia?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules