Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you think of your new MacBook Pro?

View Poll Results: What do you think of your MacBook Pro?
Poll Options:
Incredible! No regrets, worth every penny. 44 votes (55.00%)
Great machine, a few quibbles, but I'm happy. 22 votes (27.50%)
It's OK, but maybe I should have waited for Rev B. 12 votes (15.00%)
Kind of disappointing, but I'll keep it. 0 votes (0%)
Serious design/build flaws; I want my money back! 2 votes (2.50%)
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll
What do you think of your new MacBook Pro?
TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 02:51 AM

I have a PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz, it's a couple of years old now and I'm about due for an upgrade. I've been reading all the posts about folks who have their new MacBooks...and it seems to be getting some mixed reviews. So, I thought I'd post a poll and see what y'all think.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 07:33 AM

I can't vote because I don't have one

ruttopia
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 09:34 AM

My MBP is the first Mac I've purchased in the last few years that has actually WOWed me and felt like a huge leap forward instead of a small step... I'm coming from a 1.5ghz PB (first generation featuring the scrollpad) and the increased screen resolution, amazing screen brightness, wide trackpad, integrated iSight, new applications (front row, iLife '06, photobooth), 2ghz Core Duo proc, 256mb video, lightweight/thinner design ... all add up to quite an amazing piece of machinery for the price.

Kudos to Apple on this one - truly a great machine. This is a very very very worthy upgrade for any PB G4 owner in my opinion ...

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 10:13 AM

I'm still twirling my thumbs waiting for a 13.3" widescreen duo core with dual monitor support. When that comes, I'll be happy!

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 01:26 PM

Definately a step up from my PB 1Gz SD.... Better screen, most programs faster or equivalent speed, USB2, better airport reception, larger/faster hard drive, more memory. No regrets at all. Should last me for next 2-3 years.

ccwillows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 02:33 PM

After playing around for the first day and coming from a TiBook 500mhz/512mb:

Speed boost is extremely noticeable. Especially airport speed/reception.
Screen is amazing. Tilt angle issue does not affect me.
Mag safe is good. Works as advertised.
Battery life after first charge was showing about 4:00 hours with basic surfing/email/iWeb stuff.
I popped in a Dvd to help drain the battery when it had about 2:30 minutes left and it gave me about an hour to watch it.
Firewire file transfer worked flawlessly.
Closed lid mode works great with cinema display and bluetooth keyboard.
I haven't done any intense audio/video/gaming, yet.

Quirks:
Front row has hung up twice and come back with an error saying it can't sync with iTunes.
Epson cx4200 drivers (designed for CoreDuo) are not functioning.
As I sit here, I here a very slight noise, almost a whisper digital distortion: coming somewhere on the left side...speaker? hard drive? Not sure.

Overall: Two thumbs and two big toes up.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
I'm still twirling my thumbs waiting for a 13.3" widescreen duo core with dual monitor support. When that comes, I'll be happy!
i'm with you. we can hope for tuesday, yeah?

Super Mario
Feb 25, 2006, 01:24 PM

I'm waiting for Rev B simply because they will get cooler and faster and have more pixels on screen and there isn't enough universal apps right now. Everything I want to use hasn't been updated. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Office, Lightwave, etc

cms
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 01:33 PM

I am coming from the exact same place as you, upgrading from a Powerbook G4, age 25 months, with a 1.25Ghz processor and 1 GB of RAM. I am delighted with the MacBookPro (2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM) which is seriously fast compared with my old G4. There are a couple of weird issues -- AppleTalk printing over Airport, for example -- for which I've had to hunt around a bit for fixes, but all in all, it was definitely worth ponying up the cash for a hugely significant improvement in speed and power. I ran Cinebench on it this morning and it outperformed by G5 Dual 2..0 GHz with 4 GB RAM -- not by much but enough to cause me to raise one eyebrow....! I's say go for it. I certainly don't regret it -- makes my working day that much easier and quicker to get though.

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ccwillows
Epson cx4200 drivers (designed for CoreDuo) are not functioning.

Overall: Two thumbs and two big toes up.
So, does that mean you can't use your printer? I'm curious because I'm still waiting for my MBP but that same printer has already been delivered to me.

cms
Senior User
Mar 2, 2006, 10:41 AM

No, I can use the printer over Airport no problem, but just not on the regular AppleTalk interface. There's a thread over in the networking forum on this, and the fix is there

Sorry -- just reread your post and realise I misinterpreted your question. You are, obviously, referring to a specific printer; not the AppleTalk/networking printing problem I encountered. Apologies....

terigox
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2006, 10:55 AM

Being my first Mac, my MBPro 1.83 is wonderful. I will definitly be sticking with Apple for future purposes... coming from a pretty heavy Unix/Linux background, I feel right at home, and have definitly fallen in love. IMO worth every penny I'm sure they will polish later revisions off a bit... just more of a reason to get the latest and greatest

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ccwillows
After playing around for the first day and coming from a TiBook 500mhz/512mb
Thanks for this. That's exactly the upgrade I'm considering - though I'm under no time pressure, so who knows?
cpac

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

It's great, aside from this awful hissing noise that appears to affect the majority of units.

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 12:58 PM

Does everyone understand that this poll is for people who HAVE the MBP? Because I see a couple of you that dont have it but have posted on this thread. I hope you guys didn't vote.

I'm also wondering about the 2 votes for the "I want my money back!" option. Why didnt these two elaborate as to why they want their money back?

I haven't recieved mine yet. I will return to cast my vote.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TheTraveller
I have a PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz, it's a couple of years old now and I'm about due for an upgrade. I've been reading all the posts about folks who have their new MacBooks...and it seems to be getting some mixed reviews. So, I thought I'd post a poll and see what y'all think.
Very happy with my 2.0 Ghz MBP. No troubles with the machine.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheTraveller

The MacBook Pro is leaps and bounds better than the PowerBook. It is closer to my PowerMac G5 2.7Ghz in performance. I've had just about every PB revision since the Pismo G3.

dahcar
Mar 7, 2006, 05:33 PM

This is my first mac. I absolutely love it. Mine is exceptionally quiet. I have tried working in total silence silence and it has been completely inaudible, except of course the occaisonal cd spinning. The only issue I have is the random dropped airport signal, but i'm not sure if it's my router or the MBP yet.

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 06:30 AM

Would I return this hissing Macbook Pro for a silent powerbook? No, if I really disliked the noise I could disable one of the cores and have no noise and it would still be way faster than the powerbook.

chasing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 01:18 PM

I've had my macbook for approx. two weeks now and I am still stunned by its responsiveness. Having been limited to a g4 emac since 2001, you can imagiine my delight with this fine piece of machinery. All apps are mindblowingly faster, including those limited by rosetta. The battery life is average, but I bought an extra one so its not an issue for me. I went with 2 Ghz, 2 gigs of ram, the 7200 rpm hd, and snapped up a set of Altec Lansing fx-6021 speaks. All I can say is wow. The macbook is a little piece of heaven.
( Last edited by chasing; Mar 15, 2006 at 01:37 PM. )

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by chasing
I've had my macbook for approx. two weeks now and I am still stunned by its responsiveness. Having been limited to a g4 emac since 2001, you can imagiine my delight with this fine piece of machinery. All apps are mindblowingly faster, including those limited by rosetta. The battery life is average, but I bought an extra one so its not an issue for me. I went with 2 Ghz, 2 gigs of ram, the 7200 rpm hd, and snapped up a set of Altec Lansing fx-6021 speaks. All I can say is wow. The macbook is a little piece of heaven.
You think yours looks fast comapred to your G4, imagine mine side by side with my iMac DV 400mhz G3.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 01:04 AM

Snappy as anything. Makes my dual 1.8ghz G5 feel sluggish....
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

Wevah
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 06:31 AM

Something about my screen—which I'm guessing is the screen's anti-glare coating—is driving me bonkers. It feels like my screen has a very slight film grain to it. I'm kind of neurotic though.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Forum Links
Forum Rules