Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > re-use G4 LCD

re-use G4 LCD
ptb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 05:55 AM

My G4 die a few days ago.

I decide to use the lcd panel for a pc or mac-mini. I have a pc now, or I could get a new mac-mini.

The lcd connector seems to be a mini-VGA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-VGA. However, I do not known the wiring.

Also, the G4 can not start now, so the lcd did not get its power.

Can someone help me:

1. re-wiring the lcd so that it got its power. Or check the power supply to get it work.

2. The wiring for a mini-VGA to VGA or DVI such that I can use the lcd for a PC or a Mini.

3. Tell me if the mini can hide under the G4 base?

DrBoar
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 06:56 AM

I doubt it will work. LCDs are natively digital so the output to the VGA connector goes through a Digital to analog converter. To use input through the VGA it would need an analog to digital converter. I have never heard of anyone using their laptop as a screen for an other computer.

So time to ditch your G4...

ptb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 10:07 AM

So, this is the answer from Mac Modifier? Just ditch everything? HA!

DrBoar
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 10:39 AM

As people have put a power PC in a Color Classic II case I am sure that the G4 screen can be put to use. ( I asume that it is a G4 powerbook). My point is that getting it powered up and also get the VGA runnning backward is not a trivial problem.

I once bought a 7500 motherboard from ebay and a 200 MHz 604E CPU and upgraded my 7200/90 to a 200 MHz computer and even at a later time installed OS X on it. Now when a B&W G3 cost less than the CPU and MB was then I would not bother with it.

The G4s screen of 15.2" 1152x768 pixels and 5 years old is hardly the thing to spend a lot of money on unless it is fun thing to just to show of that it can be done
Some googling suggest that it is hard work "salvage laptop screen"
http://www.techwarelabs.com/communit...1313&start=240
http://www.applefritter.com/faq

ptb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 06:04 PM

It is a flatpanel iMac G4 not a notebook.

The cable says something TMDS, so I guess it talks some kinds of DVI protocol.

BTW, some of the EPIA main boards have LVDS connector for connect to LCDs, is it possible to connect them?

If it is possible, it would be a fun MOD project.
( Last edited by kentsin; May 31, 2006 at 08:00 PM. )

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 08:50 AM

It seems like it would be hard to pull up a wiring diagram for an iMac LCD. Maybe if you could find the brand of LCD, you could find something.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 03:30 PM

Actually some LCDs have the pinouts printed on them. Usually on the bit of PCB where the cable plugs in. Deciphering them is up to you though.

Otherwise the G4 iMac LCD is no different to a laptop in the respect that it will use a pinout proprietary not just to Apple but to the iMac.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Jun 2, 2006 at 06:47 PM. )

drcarl
Nov 28, 2006, 05:34 PM

I'd love to use my old G4 iMac as a display for a mac mini. Has anyone done this?
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by drcarl View Post
I'd love to use my old G4 iMac as a display for a mac mini. Has anyone done this?
this project has been beaten to death around here and a few other forums for awhile. as far as i know no one has found a way to do it yet.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 06:31 PM

Never been done. You'd be the first. Have you tried contacting the LCD supplier.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

pcummins
Dec 17, 2006, 10:48 PM

You'd need a DVI or VGA to LVDS converter or whatever the panel uses, these can be gotten fairly cheaply depending on what you need (what type of input, output and resolution). If you know the specs on your panel it is easy to find out what input + connector it requires. Then all you need is an inverter to run the backlight.

If you're willing to gut your iMac, you could probably mount everything inside. I suggest you check Lumenlab.com - Fiat Lux! - DIY Home Theater - HDTV - Video Projectors out, the people there have a lot of experience taking panels and making them work. On the flip side, you could probably get a display system that can take Composite or S-Video inputs, making it into a video display + Mac Mini display.

HowEver
Dec 28, 2006, 05:01 PM

Don't most mods take less pretty things and make them prettier?

This would be an opposing instance.

Is the iMac G4 really beyond repair?

Forum Links
Forum Rules