Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB's little annoyances

12" PB's little annoyances
Hanul
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 11:08 AM

Hi folks,

got my 12" yesterday and I'm a happy man now.

I looked over the forum and had a list to look after things when the PB arrived:

1. latch - ok,
2. lid gap on one side - no,
3. battery - is even with bottom surface,
4. dead pixels - no,
5. white thingie under keyboard - ok,
6. mouse button - had some friction in the beginning, gone after half a day use,
7. sound - crackles at startup, and inbetween, this needs a fix in 10.2.4 I think, speakers are very good for a notebook this size,
8. heat on palm rest - used an iBook 800 before, it's not hotter than that, but without the fan noise :-)
9. slot-drive - thought CDs would be sucked in smoothly, but it grabs them rather fast and makes lots of clicking noises.
10. AirPort range - not so good as the iBook, but still ok,
11. fan - have to press ear on keyboard to hear it,
12. speed - the same as my iBook 800 for everyday use and graphics (the marine aquarium screen saver gets the same frame rate in background mode), but iTunes ripping is a lot faster,
13. DVD playback - smooth, no frames lost, even in full screen mode,
14. screen - virtually the same as the iBook,
15. battery life - I got 3,5 hours, but still did not load it to 100%.

The PB is freezing *cold* when you grab it in the morning (shudder), I appreciate the warm palm rests after some use.

Man, this is a great machine, my colleagues are drooling :-)

Hanul  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 11:23 AM

One more thing:

No iLife was included, so I called Apple. I only got so far to mention "Well, I received my 12" PB...". I immediately got a response "Sorry, we know that, due to production issues not all PBs were shipped with iLife. Your package is already on the way". Ah, ok. No further questions.

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Hanul:
One more thing:

No iLife was included, so I called Apple. I only got so far to mention "Well, I received my 12" PB...". I immediately got a response "Sorry, we know that, due to production issues not all PBs were shipped with iLife. Your package is already on the way". Ah, ok. No further questions.
I love it when that happens.
It's like one of those "Neo - Pick up the phone" messages

mimosa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 12:52 PM

Your battery cover is even with bottom surface?

Argh! I was wondering about this myself. My battery cover is not flush with the bottom surface of my 12" PB. When I first got my PB I thought there was something wrong. I went to the Apple Store and the 12" PB on display there had the same problem, so I thought that it was "normal" for the battery cover not to be even with the bottom of the PB.

Is there a way to fix this?

Any opinions on if this is worth fixing or if Apple would fix this?

-mimosa

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by mimosa:

Is there a way to fix this?

Any opinions on if this is worth fixing or if Apple would fix this?

-mimosa
Have you tried shutting down and removing the battery and reinserting? It can latch closed without the non-latch side being entirely flush. I noticed this when I was installing RAM. Make sure to fully seat the outside battery edge and then FIRMLY press the battery down to lock it into place. Don't hit it with a sledgehammer, but if you do a dainty little push the other end will pop back up and it will not rest flush.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 10:52 PM

Mine isn't flush but it never was on my iBook either. No biggie IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules