Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB heat dissipation

12" PB heat dissipation
Hanul
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 05:49 PM

Today I used my 12" PB for 4 consecutive hours. It was plugged in, the batteries were charged and I installed Windows 2000 on Virtual PC 5.

The PB got very warm after a while, hard disk and SuperDrive were constantly spinning during the install process (which crashed VPC 2 times, bringing MacOS X also down). The fan was on all the time. The temperature of both palm rests reached that of a warm cup of coffee (around 35-40�C), the bottom was a little bit warmer, but still touchable. The power button was really hot (like, ouch, what is that?). The PB stood on a flat surface in an air-conditioned room.

I think that this temperature is the maximum the PB will reach during operation in a normal environment, but I don't want to know what happens, when you're outside in the park on a hot summer day using your PB on your lap...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 07:23 PM

Hmm, the HD and Superdrive spinning caused VPC to crash?

-Owl

IcedOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 08:07 PM

I've used my PB extensively in a heated office building and it never gets unbearably hot. I've also noticed that the power button gets a lot hotter than the rest of the machine, but good thing I don't have to touch that one too often.

I was going to say, "Maybe there's a reason why the PB was released during the winter." But forgot that it's actually summer for parts of the world right now.

retep
Mar 3, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Hanul:
Today I used my 12" PB for 4 consecutive hours. It was plugged in, the batteries were charged and I installed Windows 2000 on Virtual PC 5.
How does the 12"PB handle VPC with W2K? I'm considering the same setup to run AutoCAD. Is it usable?

b11051973
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by retep:
How does the 12"PB handle VPC with W2K? I'm considering the same setup to run AutoCAD. Is it usable?
I installed VPC6 with XP Pro and found it totally useless. It would take over a minute just to open IE. I have 640 megs of RAM in my PB and assigned half of that to VPC.

I also have a 2.4 GH Dell, so I don't need VPC. I just wanted to play around with it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2003, 05:24 PM

I haven't really tried XP, but W2K is actually relatively usable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules