Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive weirdness - is it the drive, or something else?

Hard drive weirdness - is it the drive, or something else?
BenN
Apr 20, 2004, 06:22 AM

For DV editing, I use a 200GB WD Caviar HDD (7200rpm, 8MB cache) in an OWC Mercury Elite Pro external enclosure, with FW800 and FW400 ports (Oxford 922 FW-IDE bridge).

I`ve had this set up running very nicely for a while, using it for capture & storage in FCE 1.01 and my 15-inch AlBook.

However, in the past few weeks I`ve noticed some oddness; the drive will mount on the Desktop fine, and FCE can access it. But after a fairly random period of time, FCE seems to lose the drive, and I get a spinning beachball when attempting to access data (i.e. footage) on the drive. The only solution appears to be to Force-Quit out of FCE. The drive is missing from the Desktop, but oddly System Profiler still says the drive is attached to the PowerBook`s FW800 port.

Powering down & up the drive doesn`t get it to re-appear; the only solution seems to be to log out (or restart), after which it appears again, and can be accessed (for a time at least).

I`ve not noticed any unusual noises from the drive, to indicate impending failure. Initially I thought the drive was overheating (the enclosure doesn`t have a fan), so I cut a hole in the enclosure to improve ventilation. But the problem recurred this weekend.

Does this sound like imminent drive failure? Or something else? (e.g. overheating, failing FW bridge, etc).

reader50
Administrator
Apr 20, 2004, 02:32 PM

Check the drive's SMART diagnostic status. Open Disk Utility if you have Panther, and click on the drive - then check the bottom of the info pane. Otherwise use DiskWarrior to check the SMART status.

If the drive thinks it's ok, then open the firewire case and see if the cables are fully plugged into the drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules