Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Symantec Anti Virus 10 for Mac

Symantec Anti Virus 10 for Mac
louiegalvan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 11:17 AM

OK I have installed this and it works great, the only thing is I can not disable the Auto Protect function that starts up on boot up. I've read articles and have seen screenshots saying that you can disable this using the Norton Antiv Virus preference pane but I cant find that anywhere. Does anyone have any clue how to disable this? It's very annoying! Thanks

Louie

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 11:25 AM

Short answer: trash Norton AV ASAP. It's a huge cause of problems on the Mac and there are zero know viruses for the Mac.

Long answer: somebody else will give you that.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

louiegalvan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 11:59 AM

Can you elaborate what problems it causes? I work at a University and they want this for a false sense of security. I dont like it either. Thanks anyway.. Anyone have a clue on how to disable Auto Protect?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

Your university wants you to use it to prevent you potentially sending infected files to Windows users, not for some false sense of security.

As to how to disable Auto-Protect, I'm not sure. Does the "Disable Auto-Protect" item under the SAV menu item not work?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 12:48 PM

You could try using ClamAV instead of Norton if they require you to have some sort of antivirus.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2006, 09:14 PM

Stick with Symantec 10 and dump anything else. So far Symantec AV for Mac has been fantastic for me-and I'm speaking from an industrial computer security background here. On the other hand, as you can see from other people's posts, the Norton product was, well, bad.

And cybergoober is right about why the university wants you to use this product-to keep you from accidentally passing something bad to a Windows user. But why disable Auto Protect? I have seen absolutely no problems with it on our iBook running Panther.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 09:12 AM

A lot of companies now require any computer to be logged into their network to have an uptodate anti-virus application. The university isn't out of line in making sure that it protects their network. Its a lot harder to fix a virus problem after its spread then to make sure everyone uses safe computing practices including Macs.

My company on a couple of occasions had to shut their network down completly (all work came to a halt) and took 2 - 3 days to disenfect the system and client computers. They now are zealous at making sure that any computer that logs into the network has virus protection. Can you blame them, they lost a bundle because for 2 days no work was occuring. The same thing can happen to the university.

Mike

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
My company on a couple of occasions had to shut their network down completly (all work came to a halt) and took 2 - 3 days to disenfect the system and client computers. They now are zealous at making sure that any computer that logs into the network has virus protection. Can you blame them, they lost a bundle because for 2 days no work was occuring. The same thing can happen to the university.

Mike
That happened where I work (NASA Langley Research Center) a few years ago. Had to shut the network down for like two or three days. We're now in the process of subnetting the entire network so that each building is its own subnet. That way if there's a network security event in one building it can be contained there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules