Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apps to track down a missing/lost iPhone

Apps to track down a missing/lost iPhone
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2008, 08:10 PM

Was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer recommendations on App Store Apps, or Cydia (jailbroken) Apps, that could be used to help find an iPhone that you've misplaced or lost??

I've just now found my iPhone (about 5 minutes ago) that I've been looking for ever since last night, and I was on the verge of believing that the phone had absolutely fallen off the face of the earth, because I'd searched everywhere imaginable for it without a shred of success. (and yes, I of course tried calling the phone, but I was pretty sure it was on vibrate...and now that I've found it, I can confirm that it was!)

I'd read a review of a Cydia (commercial) app offered by iFoneTec called Cylay, which in all honesty, I found to be an absolute joke of an attempt to make what would otherwise be an indispensable application (it never once worked for me, wound up being un-installable, and inevitably wound up forcing me to restore my phone and start from scratch).

There must be at the very least several other apps (App Store & Cydia) that would have saved me a lot of hassle over the last 24 hours as I searched relentlessly for my iPhone without success...

Ideally, and app that could provide GPS mapping that can be somehow checked from an alternate location (or iPhone) would have done the trick...I've thought about Loopt as a possibility, and then using my Wife's iPhone as a means of finding my iPhone should it ever get lost again in the future (to at the very least let me know if it's in my apartment, or in my Car which is located in the parking garage around the corner, or at my Mom's place, of my wife's Mom's place, etc...)

Anyone else care to offer any thoughts or suggestions that might be worth trying?

Thanks!

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 11:38 PM

There is one in the appstore that I'm forgetting the name of but it's useless anyway seeing that 3rd party apps can't run in the background so you'd have to be clairvoyant enough to launch it in the moments just before you lose the phone.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2008, 11:49 AM

There's an app called IfFound that's looking in this direction.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2008, 12:25 AM

IfFound won't cut it...the only kind of application that will is one that is able to run a daemon and run in the background at all times so that it can periodically update a server with the Phone's latest location (without the need to open a program on the phone...which a suspected theif might not be too inclined to do for you)...

The answer to the problem here is a program called iLocalis, which is available for jailbroken iPhones on Cydia...watch this video for more info on what this program is capable of...I've tried it and it works perfectly!

Forum Links
Forum Rules