Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB superdrive or not: will iLife work w/ext drives?

PB superdrive or not: will iLife work w/ext drives?
rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 12:36 PM

If the subject line's not clear, here's the question:

I like the integration of apps in iLife and I'll be burning dvds, but i don't think i need that as a mobile capability. I'd be more inclined to buy a faster internal (4x?) or external superdrive for my desktop Mac, and write my dvds from there, even if there's occasional tweaking on the PB. Question is, can i pay the $50 for the iLife pkg, and use all of its integrated features except the burning capability on the PB, and ALL of it on the desktop, with a non-Apple-factory-installed superdrive? This info seems crucial to the decision of including/not including a superdrive in the PB.

thanks
terry

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 21, 2003, 02:57 PM

Well, the new version of iDVD isn't out yet, but all versions so far support strictly internal drives.

iTunes supports external drives.

tooki

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2003, 05:14 PM

The critical factor is not "Apple or non-Apple" but rather "internal or external". You can easily get a non-Apple superdrive to work with iDVD from what I have heard, as long as it is installed internally in a desktop Mac. If you want to use iDVD on a powerbook in any way, you will need the internal drive in the powerbook.

rtdunham  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 01:16 AM

check out the post in this thread on the mac os forum, says iDVD3 does support external drives. I guess we'll find out in a few days.
terryclick here to go to thread cited

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2003, 01:57 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules