Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How can I stop quicktime trying to open .avi file?

How can I stop quicktime trying to open .avi file?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2003, 05:38 PM

Hi folks,

I'm sure this is an easy answer, but I couldn't find it.

When I click on an avi file in the finder, the computer tries to preview it using quicktime, and then after 15 seconds or so, gives an error that it couldn't be recognised by QT. Any way to specify that I want vlc or mplayer to be the default application for .avi files?

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Giano
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 05:47 PM

?+i on a .avi file, in thi sway you open the info panel. Choice "open with"--> with the selector pick VLC and the click on change all....

Giano
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Giano:
command+i on a .avi file, in thi sway you open the info panel. Choice "open with"--> with the selector pick VLC and the click on change all....

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 05:48 PM

The Finder always only uses QuickTime to display previews.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2003, 05:58 PM

Thanks, I knew it would be something easy, but I've never needed to do that before.

Shame finder can't be a little more intelligent. If I want to see how long or how big an avi file is, I have to wait for it to try previewing it in QT.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 08:41 PM

you know, the latest version of Divx (5.0.6) allows opening of avi files in quicktime like they should. It still takes a second, but not 15 seconds.

If you were being accurate about your error message from quicktime it sounds like the file is not really avi but something else (even if it's something that QT can read, if it's named wrong QT will choke)

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
you know, the latest version of Divx (5.0.6) allows opening of avi files in quicktime like they should. It still takes a second, but not 15 seconds.

If you were being accurate about your error message from quicktime it sounds like the file is not really avi but something else (even if it's something that QT can read, if it's named wrong QT will choke)
That's interesting. I just downloaded and installed the 5.0.6 codec but still can't get QT to play the avi files. The error messages I'm getting are

"You may experience a problem playing the video track in (video name) because the required compressor could not be found"

But I've elso found a couple that will play.

When selecting an avi file (even a divx one that plays in QT) in the finder I get the message

"quicktime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately it is not available from the qt server"

Anything else you can add?

Thanks,

J.

Forum Links
Forum Rules