Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GoLive 7 (CS1) on Snow Leopard

GoLive 7 (CS1) on Snow Leopard
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2010, 07:36 PM

Anyone else notice that GoLive 7 is behaving very strange since about 10.6.3 or so? It has trouble saving. And any time you PASTE with text highlighted, the app does COPY and then PASTE. Not at all what you meant. I know this app is old but I still use it a lot because it has the best balance of GUI control, with simple enough code to make it very easy to customize and tweak, and also add tons of php/mysql in there.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2010, 11:19 PM

Wait... you use GoLive?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2010, 11:20 PM

I figure that 1 out of every 10 replies to this post will be helpful. So come on everyone, lets get more replies.

And no, I've been using BBedit pretty much exclusively not that I can't save with golive. And as far as a code editor, it's really exactly the same as golive. But now I can't do quick easy stuff with the GUI editor. Now even small changes have become big changes.

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2010, 07:34 AM

I just saw this post. You might think about moving it to Art and Graphic Design.

Yeah, I'm still using GoLive 7 in 10.6.4. Honestly, I haven't had any of the problems you are having. It's a bit sluggish, but that's mostly because it has to run in Rosetta. I use GL daily.

I recently installed CS5, which includes Dreamweaver. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that ancient GoLive 7 is still much better than the trainwreck that is DW CS5.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2010, 08:02 AM

Are you sure you're not having problems? I just tried it on my laptop too and it's doing the same exact thing. Can you try these steps:
Copy any text from any other app, even this text I'm typing right now.
Then open any document in GoLive 7.
Swith to code veiw, highlight a big bunch of code, and try to paste the previously copied code over it. Does it work?

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, it does. That's exactly the workflow I use. I maintain a small website for my wife's employer and they send me new text a couple times a week that I have to add to existing text. I'm often copying text from, for instance, a Word doc, and pasting it over existing text. I always work in code view, too.

FWIW, the version of GL I'm using is 7.0.2.

sseaton1971
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2010, 04:29 PM

I know it might be hard to find, but can you upgrade GoLive to version 8 (CS2). One of my clients I work with has not made the switch to Dreamweaver, so I am forced to work with GoLive 8. It seems to work just fine in SL, though. I also have a copy of GoLive 9, but it never worked right for me... and then GoLive was scrapped by Adobe. Sorry I can't be more helpful... but maybe an upgrade will help.

And for the smart ass comment above... all I can say is, "Why?" If you can't be helpful, then just don't post anything. This is a legitimate concern by a member of the Mac community, and we all should be supportive.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2010, 04:46 PM

Thats weird. I'm also using 7.0.2 and all of my machines running it broke the app with 10.6.3 or 10.6.4. Most strange. Also I do have golive 8 and golive 9. But those apps implemented CSS and the most asinine way. I do all my CSS by hand in BBEdit. It's easier to code from scratch completely than it is to make code in GoLive 8 or 9, and then go in my hand and undo all the craziness. I guess I'll try reinstalling GoLive 7 yet again. Its a shame you can't put GoLive 7's code engine, into GoLive 9. No more PPC, that would be great.

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2010, 05:12 PM

That is odd. I wish I had an answer for you. I'm glad it is working on my iMac, though. The thought of having to use DreamWeaver CS5 gives me the chills.

For me, the best part of using GoLive is the on-the-fly code validation it can do. Believe it or not, Adobe removed code validation completely from Dream Weaver CS5.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2010, 07:32 PM

Still having this incredibly annoying problem. It's especially annoying when you copy from a document, close that document, then go to paste code into a new document. If you forget, and paste over highlighted code, you lose what you copied and have to find that other document again. Such a massive massive speedbump to your workflow.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post
And for the smart ass comment above... all I can say is, "Why?" If you can't be helpful, then just don't post anything. This is a legitimate concern by a member of the Mac community, and we all should be supportive.
Just how far up your ass is that stick? Chill.

GoLive 7 works just fine for me, pasting just pastes, files open and save just as they should. Any chance you may have messed up the keyboard shortcuts somehow? Maybe try trashing the preference files and see if that helps?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2010, 02:12 AM

I just tried deleting my prefs. No luck, still can't paste. I don't think this old installervise is compatible with snow leoapard. I'm getting all sorts of error messages. The installer finished, and GoLive does still run, and it still have the pasting problem. I have no idea of it really installed a new version or if it just failed early enough in the install, that it didn't even overwrite the old App. Either way, this is junk.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2010, 04:19 AM

So I just lost a SHIT load of data, doing a cut and paste of two table cells. I didn't realize that the big effects layout view too. I selected two empty sells, pasted, and poof my data is gone, now I'll have to re-write all it all. God I hate adobe. They're shitty quality software is REALLY starting to get to me. Not just ghetto versions of GoLive. Even Photoshop CS5 is getting annoying. It still has so many OS9-like behaviors.

ChrisF
Senior User
Dec 20, 2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So I just lost a SHIT load of data, doing a cut and paste of two table cells. I didn't realize that the big effects layout view too. I selected two empty sells, pasted, and poof my data is gone, now I'll have to re-write all it all. God I hate adobe. They're shitty quality software is REALLY starting to get to me. Not just ghetto versions of GoLive. Even Photoshop CS5 is getting annoying. It still has so many OS9-like behaviors.
To be fair, you are using a totally unsupported configuration to do your work. The only reasonable solutions are to either backdate your OS to something that supports Golive, or migrate your HTML editing to something recent which supports OS 10.6.x.

autogiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2011, 05:50 AM

I started having the same problem today. It wasn't Snow Leopard's fault, but the last Adobe CS5 update which broke GoLive, even if the application is not supposed to be affected by the update.

(I also keep using GoLive, and consider it a much better program than DW.)

After trying different tricks, I found that you can still make a proper paste if you use the contextual menu, that is, command-clic, or right-clic, and chose 'paste'.

:-)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 05:53 AM

That makes sense. Sucks, but it makes sense. Adobe software is like a drug addiction, you need to get off of it but you just can't.

autogiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2011, 12:15 PM

What makes me thinkā€¦ that probably Adobe did it INTENTIONALLY, so everybody will stop using GoLive and switch to DreamWeaver.
Or am I being a little too suspiciousā€¦?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 07:12 PM

Well if it's true that the CS5 update did it, then that doesn't really make sense since only people who already bought CS5 would get their GoLive broken. Which doesn't make sense as a way to get people to buy new software.

Thorzdad
Jan 26, 2011, 07:32 PM

fwiw, my CS5 is up-to-date and GoLive CS1 is still working for me. Used it today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules