Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US behind in broadband

US behind in broadband (Page 4)
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
You're from Berkeley, I'm not sure if that qualifies as part of the USA.

You're also missing the whole point. Mr. Canadian StarWarsCreep, who constantly posts anti-USA crap, changed the title of the article he linked to from "Broadband use in USA doubles" to "US behind in broadband". He's nothing but a weenie little instigator. Check the link for yourself.
Perhaps I missed the rule that said you need to use the same title as the story.

Even better you need to get a clue and actually read the story as the story says more negative than positive. Not that you are smart enough to figure this out.

From the story:

"Some experts said growth was disappointing, far behind countries that include South Korea, Taiwan and Canada."

"The report also identified troubling figures for use or availability of high-speed Internet services among blacks, Hispanics and people in rural areas."

"It shows we continue to have a significant divide between urban and rural America in the infrastructure for the economy of the 21st century,"

"Only one-in-seven blacks and fewer than one-in-eight Hispanics lives in a household with fast Internet service"

"Significant numbers of rural Americans said they couldn't subscribe to high-speed services because none was available."

"Most Americans who did not use fast connections said service was either too expensive or they did not need it."

""This is lousy," said Harris Miller, head of the Information Technology Association of America, a leading industry trade group in Washington. "We're just not keeping up with our competitors. We're not even keeping up with countries we don't consider competitors. It's not acceptable."

"still below some expectations and especially low among minority groups and people in rural areas, according to a report by the Bush administration."

Feel stupid yet?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 16, 2004, 07:28 PM

For someone that doesn't car about America. You sure obsess much.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 16, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
according to that census that's a ghost town wierd huh?
but four is a lot for a town of that size. although its kinda 3 since satalite is available anywhere.
Ghost town? Maybe rural, but not a ghost town.

Well, now it's 5 broadband services available including satellite.

Two cable companies.
One DSL (Verizon)
One Wireless (speednetllc)
and satellite.

Not bad for being behind Canada eh?

So, Canadians, how many braodband services do you have available in your rural locations?

Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 12:10 AM

Oh and the title of this news story is:
"U.S. Lags In Broadband Adoption Despite Demand For VoIP, IP Video: Report"

With quotes:
"Despite this, the U.S. lags a full generation behind countries such as Japan and Korea in broadband acceptance and use, it adds."

"The report claims that leading broadband countries, including Japan and Korea, are a full generation ahead of North America in broadband adoption and use."

So it seems I have things to back up the title, all you got is penis envy.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 12:43 AM

Which proves just what I said in the beginning -- Japan and Korea are a whole generation ahead.. big whoop. Look at the population density and land area for japan and korea..

There's probably states bigger than both combined.

Yes, of course they're a whole ****ing generation ahead of ALL OF THE US COMBINED. Duh, that's like comparing the max speed of a freightliner with that of a toyota celica and saying "obviously the celica is more powerful because it can go faster".
Aloha

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 17, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Oh and the title of this news story is:
"U.S. Lags In Broadband Adoption Despite Demand For VoIP, IP Video: Report"

With quotes:
"Despite this, the U.S. lags a full generation behind countries such as Japan and Korea in broadband acceptance and use, it adds."

"The report claims that leading broadband countries, including Japan and Korea, are a full generation ahead of North America in broadband adoption and use."

So it seems I have things to back up the title, all you got is penis envy.
And yet our quality of life is better than both of those countries.

I bet they have better cell phone service too. Good for them. Go live there if you like fast internet so much.

And what exactly is a "full generation" in bandwidth anyway? 3 weeks?

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2004, 02:08 AM

Japan's economy was in the shitter last I heard.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 17, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by jbartone:
Japan's economy was in the shitter last I heard.
But their broadband is a "full generation" ahead of the US. /sarcasm]

Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Which proves just what I said in the beginning -- Japan and Korea are a whole generation ahead.. big whoop. Look at the population density and land area for japan and korea..

There's probably states bigger than both combined.

Yes, of course they're a whole ****ing generation ahead of ALL OF THE US COMBINED. Duh, that's like comparing the max speed of a freightliner with that of a toyota celica and saying "obviously the celica is more powerful because it can go faster".
Right and Canada being larger and with even more sparse areas to live is better covered and cheaper so your logic doesn't make sense.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The reaction to this has been rather sad and predictable. It is like boys comparing penis size.

Canada has more widespread broadband:
"No US invented the internet"
"Mine is faster"
"It's not true, ours is better"
"Canada is cold"
Bla bla bla.

Embarrassing
if you felt this way why did you dig this thread up again?
Originally posted by Kilbey:
Ghost town? Maybe rural, but not a ghost town.

Well, now it's 5 broadband services available including satellite.

Two cable companies.
One DSL (Verizon)
One Wireless (speednetllc)
and satellite.

Not bad for being behind Canada eh?

So, Canadians, how many braodband services do you have available in your rural locations?
by definition a ghost town is a town that is losing population, therefore making empty houses or ghost houses. I am suprised that you have that many providers, do you live near another town you can mooch off of or is there just a really high demand. round these parts we have about 4 cellphone providers(some may not consider this broadband, but most of them offer speeds faster than dialup so it should count, we have t1 and several other really high speed options, cable, dsl, and satelite.

Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 03:06 AM

Because I found anther story that came out today that backed up what I originally had to say.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
You're from Berkeley, I'm not sure if that qualifies as part of the USA.

You're also missing the whole point. Mr. Canadian StarWarsCreep, who constantly posts anti-USA crap, changed the title of the article he linked to from "Broadband use in USA doubles" to "US behind in broadband". He's nothing but a weenie little instigator. Check the link for yourself.
I lived on the east coast for a number of years- I simply go to school in Berkeley now. I woud like to think that I have more well rounded perspective on this country because of that.
Regarless, He didn't change the tile of the Article, he highlighted an important argument made by the article. I wouldn't call it instigating, I would call it a wake up call. As Americans we should be bothered by the trend that our poorest citizens are falling behind, and more alarmingly, these lines are being drawn along racial boundaries. How are people of lower economic status supposed to keep up with career hunting and college applications when they don't even see the value of internet technology, much less have access to it? They won't miss what they won't see, and what they won't see will only make it harder to move up (the central principle upon which this country was founded on).

It is sad that no one from our own country was able to point this out. But of course that is probably because we are too busy boasting bout how gret we are.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 17, 2004, 06:25 PM

Because he is obsessed with America.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:42 AM

new information:

"The United States remains 16th in the world in broadband penetration per capita. The United States also ranks 16th in terms of broadband growth rates, suggesting our world ranking won't improve any time soon. On a per megabit basis, U.S. consumers pay 10 to 25 times more than broadband users in Japan."

http://www.freepress.net/press/release.php?id=86
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

deedar
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I live in the middle of "the smokeys" and get 5Mb for $65 /mo. Yeah, we're really backwards around here too.

Sheet. I live 40 milles from the captal of California and the "fastest" connection available is satellite!!! For $60/month!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 18, 2005, 01:04 AM

No problems here in Chicago.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by deedar
Sheet. I live 40 milles from the captal of California and the "fastest" connection available is satellite!!! For $60/month!
That is insane!

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 18, 2005, 01:36 AM

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2005, 02:54 AM

Couple things from that article posted

The FCC defines a “high-speed” connection as one capable of transmitting greater than 200
kilobits of data per second (kbps) in one direction — upload or download. This speed is just four
times faster than the typical dial-up connection but far below what countries like Canada consider
to be “broadband.” Canada defines broadband as a connection capable of transmitting data at
greater than 1.5 megabits of data per second (Mbps) in both directions.4 This standard ensures at
a minimum that consumers can both download and upload video to the Internet. Yet very few of
the consumer DSL or cable modem services in the United States meet such a standard.

By comparison, Japanese consumers have access to broadband connections with speeds up to 100
Mbps.8 Prices for these connections are much lower than in the United States. A 26 Mbps
connection in Japan costs approximately $22 per month.9 In France, a 15 Mbps connection costs
about $38 per month.10 Chairman Martin and other observers point out that these countries are
more densely populated than the United States, and therefore face fewer challenges when
implementing broadband service.11 But Canada, whose population density is one-tenth that of the
United States12, has a broadband penetration rate more than 50 percent higher. Furthermore,
Canadians have access to 4 Mbps connections at less than $38 per month.13 The difference is not
population density or topography. The difference is that other nations have national broadband
policies designed to create competitive marketplaces.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 01:58 PM

I have to wonder what the reason is behind this is though. I mean there is a demand for it so why aren't companies fighting over who gets peoples money.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 05:28 PM

A new story backing up exactly what I said originally.

http://politics.slashdot.org/article...31258&from=rss

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
i don't get it, why are they all invisible? cuz there sure are a lot of them. they're just not very able to be seen.

My website

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 11:14 PM

Annoying Japanese Rant:

I should be getting a 100 Mbit connection in a month or so here in Japan.... and yes, it is annoying that you can get super cheap and super fast DSL here in Japan, and yes some of it does have to do with population density, but a lot of it has to do with the Japanese throwing money at it and getting it all over the country. You can get high speed DSL on small islands that are 40 minute ferry rides from the main island. Think about it. While I think that giving the entire US high speed internet is impossible, giveing the majority of urban areas high speed net is not impossible. There are just major issues with the industry right now in the US.

Yes, Japan`s economy has been in a recession for about 10 years or so, but its still the second biggest economy in the world. Which says a lot. They`re working on it. And giant robots. Beware.

Oh, and the quality of living here is quite nice, thank you. Better then some areas of the US where I`ve visited. Plus who doesn`t like fresh fish?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 18, 2005, 11:23 PM

I think I understand the term "epenis" now.

thanks for the raising of this zombie thread.

ONTOPIC: nutil I can get HD TV shows that I want to watch legally on the internet, I will be happy with what I have. 3 MB for US$25 from Verizon DSL

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 11:52 PM

Canada can't even compare to the USA regarding internet coverage. People live all over the USA while Canada is a sparse wilderness where almost everybody chooses to live in the south and as close as possible to the USA (fully understandable).
http://www.canadainfolink.ca/chartten.htm
[removed oversize image. CHECK IMAGE SIZES BEFORE POSTING! --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 20, 2005 at 01:50 AM. )

Railroader
Banned
Oct 18, 2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Canada can't even compare to the USA regarding internet coverage. People live all over the USA while Canada is a sparse wilderness where almost everybody chooses to live in the south and as close as possible to the USA (fully understandable).
http://www.canadainfolink.ca/chartten.htm
[img]http://www.canadainfolink.ca/popareas.GIF[img]
Looks like they're preparing to invade!!! [/CANADIANBACONREFERENCE]

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Which makes it all the more impressive that there is coverage all over the country. Even with cell phones 94% of Canada is covered.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Ummm.. I've got 5Mb not 3 (and it's 5Mb down and up), if I'd only wanted 3 I'd only be paying $29US (and LD doesn't matter to me, I don't pay for LD).
wow what ISP is that?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2005, 06:30 AM

A couple of months ago I told Comcast to take a flying leap. $72.00/US for 3MB down - this was after my year at $29.95 on an introductory offer with them. The cost far outweighs any personal value of having this type of connection. I tried dial-up for a few weeks - even though I'm not on the web much at home (email, very light web browsing for less than 15 minutes a day) I was too impatient (well, and it was only 28.8kbps!). Got in on a year deal through SBC for $15.00 384 up and down which I find quite fair.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Which makes it all the more impressive that there is coverage all over the country. Even with cell phones 94% of Canada is covered.
No, no it doesn't. As they only have to cover the area the population is at. And that is what they do.

Less area to cover = easier to cover = Canada.

More area to cover = harder to cover = America.

Canada has less people to deal with, therefore it's easier to make sure everyone is covered.

You've been explained this many times. No matter HOW you try to spin it to your advantage, it's simply not going to work.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
A couple of months ago I told Comcast to take a flying leap. $72.00/US for 3MB down - this was after my year at $29.95 on an introductory offer with them. The cost far outweighs any personal value of having this type of connection. I tried dial-up for a few weeks - even though I'm not on the web much at home (email, very light web browsing for less than 15 minutes a day) I was too impatient (well, and it was only 28.8kbps!). Got in on a year deal through SBC for $15.00 384 up and down which I find quite fair.
yeah, comcast did the same to me as well. i want to stop their service, but we already paid for the installation and all that. it would suck to have to pay for installation on DLS now, because i'm pretty sure no one else does cable.

My website

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 12:30 AM

DSL has instillation costs?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Railroader
Banned
Oct 20, 2005, 12:33 AM

Not around here.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 01:37 AM

You know, I also read that study, and I was going to start a thread on this subject, to try and have a discussion about relative adoption of broadband in different industrialized countries. I thought maybe people would want to discuss various ways of encouraging broadband, pros, cons, that sort of thing.

I was going to... but then I saw what happened to this thread, and now I'm really really glad I didn't.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 20, 2005, 05:02 AM

It was pretty cheap - think like $30 or close to that. "Installation" isn't quite right, though. They sent me the kit and they hit a button on their side. They really didn't DO anything.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 11:17 AM

I haven't paid any installation cost either.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2005, 01:06 PM

6 or 7 years ago a few of my friends accross the pond were paying something like US $70/month just to get a ISDN line. Now the same guys are paying US $30/month for a full 10Mbit line.

I have to pay almost $60/month for a 3Mbit/512Kbit line. It would normally be cheaper (only $37 a month) but the phone companies tie in the phone service. I have to buy over $20 a month of crap I don't use just to get DSL (basic line for $12/month, then a bunch of usage taxes.)

Cable is just as bad in my area. You can get a cable modem connection for $40 a month (10MBit/256Kbit) but only if you sign up for their phone AND TV package. Otherwise it's $60/month.

The reason I went with the DSL is because the upstream is twice as fast as the Cable. That still annoys me to no end. I hate that crap. If I play games or upload stuff to work, it's only as fast as the upstream. I wouldn't care if they gave me a 1000Gbit line, if they keep the g*d damn upload at 256Kbit it's friggin useless to me.

In Japan and Korea they have full 100Mbit lines for around US $30/month. That's what I'd like to have.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules