Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" UMBP - External Monitor resolution is too low... :-(

17" UMBP - External Monitor resolution is too low... :-(
hbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2009, 06:17 AM

Hi everyone.

I am aware that this is a hardware problem section only. Problem is, I dont know whether it is hw or sw!

Basically I got the UMBP 17" on friday, and attached it to my external monitor. the monitor is an LG l246wh, with a max resolution of 1900 x 1200. The UMBP however only allows me to select 1900 x 1080, which means that the resolution is stretched vertically, making characters taller than they should be, if that makes sense. This didnt happen on my 2006 MBP 17". The set up i am using is: mini displayport adaptor to DVI, which in turn goes into an HDMI port in the monitor. This set up worked ok on the 2006 MBP (but without the dvi adaptor of course, just the dvi to hdmi cable).

Has anyone got any ideas - is this a hw or sw issue, and what could be done to fix it? Otherwise i may ask apple for one of their 24" screens...

Many thanks,

HBR

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2009, 03:47 PM

Could this be due to your GPU set on just the 9400M instead of the 9400M GT, although I would think either setting should be able to drive a 24" monitor as I've seen a few UB Macbook's driving 24" monitors. Sorry, wish I had more to offer.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2009, 04:04 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2009, 06:39 PM

Hi again, I have tried both cards, and they both do it! Switch Res X is shareware, and I would prefer a freeware option, as I am a student ! Does anyone know of a fix? Many thanks Hbr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2009, 07:47 PM

Try using DVI instead of the HDMI.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2009, 08:17 PM

Hi again everyone- I really hope that apple read these threads, cos its time that they did! My external display is now just black when connected via ANYTHING. In response to the last post, i do not have a dvi port in the back of the monitor itself, hence the hdmi to dvi cable.

So now I have 2 problems:- blank external display when connected via ANY connection AND i can only have 1900 x 1080 when it works. REALLY NOT HAPPY APPLE! I think that I will buy a Pear (r) instead and be done with it!

Does anyone have any further thoughts/know of updates coming soon?

many thanks, hbr

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2009, 09:15 PM

you might have a black screen because youre using a refresh rate your external cant handle, using your MBP screen see if you could use the "gather window" button in the display preference window and set your resolution/rate that way.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2009, 04:23 AM

Hi again, the refresh rate is 60, which is normal for the monitor, and so I know that it is not that. I think then that it may be a software issue with the mini displayport drivers - i guess ill have to wait until a fix is available AND pay a visit to Apple....

ibook_steve
Mar 11, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by hbr View Post
Hi again, the refresh rate is 60, which is normal for the monitor, and so I know that it is not that. I think then that it may be a software issue with the mini displayport drivers - i guess ill have to wait until a fix is available AND pay a visit to Apple....
Doubtful. Can you try connecting to another monitor?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2009, 12:51 PM

Hi again, I have tried both cards, and they both do it! Switch Res X is shareware, and I would prefer a freeware option, as I am a student ! Does anyone know of a fix? Many thanks Hbr
You have a unibody 17" MBP but you can't afford a low-cost shareware app that seems like it would really help you?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2009, 03:45 PM

In response to Big Mac - I am a student, and my parents bought it!

I rang Applecare UK and this is what happened:

I described the situation, and mentioned that I had pending deadlines at university and am doing an IT degree that demands excessive use of the laptop.

Telling the representative the problems with the machine, I mentioned the following:

 Blank external display
 Only 1900 x 1080 res on an external screen when its native resolution is 1900 x 1200, and worked fine on the 2006 MBP.
 Freezes periodically
 Flickers when not on full brightness
 Runs hot – it is currently 60 deg c and all I am doing is typing – the 2006 one ran at 45 when I was doing this!
 Artefacts on the screen sometimes

He immediately gave me three options:
1. To do an erase and install to ensure that there was nothing wrong with the factory installation – I already did this when I got the machine!
2. (I THINK he said this, but I can't fully remember) to take the machine to the store for repair… ☹.
3. To replace the machine by taking it to the apple store (I then mentioned I bought it online, and so he is now going to see if he can sort out a replacement thataway! (the applestore online is separate from instore)

Right now, I am waiting for him to call me back with regards to what is going to happen.
He has just asked me again for the order number as he said he may have got a number wrong in the system.

Im now speaking with [name deleted] from apple ☺. He was American, and sounded really kind ☺. I think they called up Cupertino, with Steve Jobs in the background!

[name deleted] is going to send me out a waiver form, which means that I can get the laptop before I send the other back. This means that if I decided to keep both I would be charged etc. Im not charged a second time at all, unless they don’t get the other one back.

This is brilliant cos it means I can work while the other is being shipped and get on with my assignments!

Hopefully now it will all go smoothly, I will keep you updated!

Also, I hope that apple will look into this - especially the freezing issue as its really bad. It took me a good minute while i was on the phone to them to save the info above in Word!

Hbr

p.s. just froze while typing this...!

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2009, 10:07 AM

HI everyone - I created this. http://umbpissues.blogspot.com/ have a look and feel free to comment and share your own experiences. Perhaps this will then give apple some idea of the scale of the problem etc with the 17" UMBP. ATB hbr

jogi
Mar 15, 2009, 10:37 AM

HI everyone - I created this. http://umbpissues.blogspot.com/ have a look and feel free to comment and share your own experiences. Perhaps this will then give apple some idea of the scale of the problem etc with the 17" UMBP. ATB hbr
Dont you think you're being a bit dramatic here..?
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2009, 01:29 PM

Perhaps, it is very detailed, but it may help later on for people that have the same problem. Thats why Im doing it!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2009, 01:42 PM

Don't use HDMI. HDMI does not support 1900x1200. That's your problem.

Use DVI.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2009, 01:47 PM

i used it on my last MBP (2006) and it worked fine... with a res of 1900 x 1200...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2009, 02:03 PM

i used it on my last MBP (2006) and it worked fine... with a res of 1900 x 1200...
Maybe, but it's not supposed to be a supported resolution. HDMI is intended for hooking up television gear, not computers, and the highest output consumer gear puts out is 1080p. If either the monitor or the computer is doing something new to detect that it's outputting via HDMI, it's likely going to limit you to 1080p.

Try plugging in with DVI and see if that fixes your issue.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jogi
Mar 15, 2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Maybe, but it's not supposed to be a supported resolution. HDMI is intended for hooking up television gear, not computers, and the highest output consumer gear puts out is 1080p. If either the monitor or the computer is doing something new to detect that it's outputting via HDMI, it's likely going to limit you to 1080p.

Try plugging in with DVI and see if that fixes your issue.
Exactly that..
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2009, 09:47 AM

OlePigeon suggested DVI back on March 10...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2009, 09:54 AM

Also, I hope that apple will look into this - especially the freezing issue as its really bad. It took me a good minute while i was on the phone to them to save the info above in Word!
I wouldn't fault Apple for any problems seen in Office 2008.

hbr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2009, 09:12 PM

Re MS Office - i would normally agree with you, however I now have my replacement, and as I am typing it is typing really slowly... its not just word, and it wasnt just the last laptop either! It would appear as well that the UMBP 15" owners have the same problem - http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8415926 . See how long that thread is?! I wonder if any other UMBP 17" owners have had this?! Its worth noting that it happens with both graphics cards for me, I am currently using the 9400

BTW, what did Ole mean with regard to DVI?

Yours, hbr

Forum Links
Forum Rules