Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > GoogleDocs for iPad

GoogleDocs for iPad
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2010, 11:23 AM

Anyone hear anything about an upgraded version of google docs for iPad? It seems this would be a KIller App for the iPad - cloud based office suite for a mobile device like this.

I'm sure Apple would not like it, as it would eat into iWork sales, but it would make things much easier for file management etc.

Any info?
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 12:47 PM

No mention of iPad interfaces for services other than Gmail on the Official Google Mobile Blog: Official Google Mobile Blog: Google services on the iPad and tablet computers

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 09:47 PM

Hopefully Google will make Google Docs work nicely with the iPad. Gmail is awesome on the iPad.
While Google Docs will display files reasonably well on the iPad, editing/creating is a no-go.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 05:36 PM

It's frustrating thst there are a dozen or so apps that say you can view Google Docs files with those apps, but don't bother telling you whether you can edit/create, which is what really matters. Once such an app is created, it'll be hard to tell via the App Store that it now (then?) exists for the same reason.

Why can't Google make a Mobile Safari interface for gDocs?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 11:55 AM

I believe Google just updated their services (yesterday?) to allow Google Docs to work well for iPad, I believe through the Safari browser.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I believe Google just updated their services (yesterday?) to allow Google Docs to work well for iPad, I believe through the Safari browser.
Well, I found this article, and there has indeed been an update, but from my reading of the article, it's still view-but-not-create-or-edit = essentially still useless for the iPad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 12:53 PM

Just tried it. The docs show up just fine, with all editing options, but it's still view-don't-create only. Shame.

Forum Links
Forum Rules