Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th

Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th (Page 6)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 12:37 PM

The only reason I'd get one is if someone got Linux on it, then stuck Mac-On-Linux on it (or whatever it's called) so I can try out Tiger on a Tri-PPC system.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
Exactly. We aren't running out of room on our current systems, they're finally producing some REALLY GOOD GAMES that arent' all hyped up about graphics, but instead have great gameplay and whatnot.
The reason MS wants to come out with anther system is to get a head start like the PS2 did. I can't see them making money off this system either but I don't care if they make money or not as long as the games rock.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ambush
Banned
May 13, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
The only reason I'd get one is if someone got Linux on it, then stuck Mac-On-Linux on it (or whatever it's called) so I can try out Tiger on a Tri-PPC system.
Maybe we can "pseudo natively" run OS X instead?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The reason MS wants to come out with anther system is to get a head start like the PS2 did. I can't see them making money off this system either but I don't care if they make money or not as long as the games rock.
It's reminiscent of Sega trying to preempt Sony with the Dreamcast. Maybe Microsoft will pull it off where Sega couldn't, but I think that Sony has too big of a following, and the Xbox doesn't feel like it needs replacing as much as the PS2 does.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 03:38 PM

that 1/2 hr segment yesterday was horrible...

Take the name for instance. They kept trying to pump that whole theme of the "360" and "all things circular" and "interconnectedness" when really, they just wanted to have a "3" in the xbox name so that it wouldn't sound inferior to the Playstation3.

(it would be amusing if Sony came up with a non-numbered name for the ps2's successor just to spite Microsoft).

The segment said a few things about the console, but none of it seemed to be that ground-breaking. There wasn't very much game footage shown, and whatever they did show, didn't look that much different from what is currently on the Xbox.

I like how they made up a timeline listing out the history of gaming, and notably excluding the whole advent of the ps and ps2. Yeah I'm sorry, but I found that laughably ridiculous for them to do that and still keep a straight face. Unless a person's already an xbox fanboy, it's kind of insulting to the average viewer who owns any other console and might've considered the xbox 360 this time around.

And the whole Killers thing...I wonder how much MS had to pay them off to show up. Not only did the performance not really fit in with the entire theme of the segment, but the CG work on their opening was cheesy. The whole thing reeked of the MS "we can buy our popularity and a way into any market" attitude.

I just hope that the Xbox 360 is quickly hackable into an inexpensive mac running OS X. Help them lose money and buy none of their games.

hahah....and the changeable faceplates. Oh yeah, Microsoft, the purveyor of original ideas right there. I'm gonna run out and mod my Xbox with a piece of plastic for $15.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
It's reminiscent of Sega trying to preempt Sony with the Dreamcast. Maybe Microsoft will pull it off where Sega couldn't, but I think that Sony has too big of a following, and the Xbox doesn't feel like it needs replacing as much as the PS2 does.
I think that the PS3 will still be on top with the Xbox 360 second but this time there will be a bigger gap between MS and Nintendo.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 04:30 PM

Here is an interesting report on it.

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4889

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 05:22 PM

Was thas written by Microsoft?, I think that the real first Xbox360 impression was not that good, right MTV?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 05:27 PM

I think the industry has hit a wall.

They CAN make games to take advantage of the hardware, but it isn't cost effective to do so. I think the next big step up is going to be in animation and amount of activity on the screen at once.

I have a feeling that we will start seeing more and more games being created using other people's game engines. I bet we'll see companies start writing human anmation code and selling it to manufactures as well.

The Xbox 360 has the power but do the developers have the time and money to take advantage of it?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

meelk
Baninated
May 13, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I think the industry has hit a wall.

They CAN make games to take advantage of the hardware, but it isn't cost effective to do so. I think the next big step up is going to be in animation and amount of activity on the screen at once.

I have a feeling that we will start seeing more and more games being created using other people's game engines. I bet we'll see companies start writing human anmation code and selling it to manufactures as well.

The Xbox 360 has the power but do the developers have the time and money to take advantage of it?

"human animation code", do you have any idea what you are talking about? Have you never heard of motion capture?

meelk
Baninated
May 13, 2005, 06:34 PM

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140499
Kameo old vs. Kameo new.
those are very distinct differences

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 07:19 PM

Check this, all the demo's were running on Mac's.

http://news.com.com/Xbox+360+demos+r...6658&subj=news

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 07:42 PM

Yes I've heard of motion capture. I'm talking about a company that would capture their own data and then sell it to other companies to save them time.

Everyone uses motion capture, but usually it's limited to a couple of sequences per character. When every guy runs the exact same way it takes you out of the game.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140499
Kameo old vs. Kameo new.
those are very distinct differences
The xbox is capable of producing better graphics that. It looks like they toned down the xbox version to make the 360 version standout more. Come on, look at the trees in the second picture, I've seen better graphics on an N64.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

meelk
Baninated
May 14, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
The xbox is capable of producing better graphics that. It looks like they toned down the xbox version to make the 360 version standout more. Come on, look at the trees in the second picture, I've seen better graphics on an N64.
those pictures match every other picture of kameo I remember seeing when it was an xbox title. Its amazing how many people see deception in everything they look at now. When did the human race become so extremely cynical?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 05:29 AM

Controller poster: yikes !!!! so does it have rumble ?

Another question...backwards compatible ? if it is i'll be pleasantly surprised. thats one thing i can praise M$'s engineers for, casue imo it's quite a feat(and actual hard work and research) to make XB1's games compatible on totally different hardware.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman

i agree with you. the graphics on the left look like something from the N64 generation.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 14, 2005, 06:04 AM

Why do I get the feeling the XBox2 isn't going to be the quietest of the three next gen consoles?

vs.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...4139&page=home

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 14, 2005, 06:19 AM

Check this, all the demo's were running on Mac's.

http://news.com.com/Xbox+360+demos+r...6658&subj=news
Yeah, I've been looking for a pic of this, but I can't find one. Does anyone have a link?

I mean it's the worst kept secret of the year, and we've all seen the development boxes, but it would still be nice to see the Power Mac boxes and the game demos side by side.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 09:05 AM

Maybe if the G5s were not made by Apple, Bill would show them in TV.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Controller poster: yikes !!!! so does it have rumble ?

Another question...backwards compatible ? if it is i'll be pleasantly surprised. thats one thing i can praise M$'s engineers for, casue imo it's quite a feat(and actual hard work and research) to make XB1's games compatible on totally different hardware.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...r_acquire.mspx
VPC is key for XBox1 compatibility in the 360.
When M$ bought Virtual PC in 2003, they got the code, but not the Connectix engineers. One has to wonder if anyone in M$ (XBox team or MBU team) can add 3D acceleration to VPC. One has to wonder about the quality of emulation (crashes or whatnot), and whether it will shoo away some customers.
By the time the 360 is released, Virtual PC will have mutated from OSX-compatible to NT-PPC compatible, with 3D acceleration. Hopefully this doesn't mean that 3D acceleration won't be available in VPC 8.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 10:54 AM

will the xbox 360 have 64bit cpus. at 3.5 or 32bit cpus?

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Yeah, I've been looking for a pic of this, but I can't find one. Does anyone have a link?

I mean it's the worst kept secret of the year, and we've all seen the development boxes, but it would still be nice to see the Power Mac boxes and the game demos side by side.
I dont' think they would publicly display Macs running Xbox games so this is the best we can do.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000113040931/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock
Why do I get the feeling the XBox2 isn't going to be the quietest of the three next gen consoles?]
It is fan and liquid cooled. It also has intelligent fans and software that shut down everything unnecessary when it can (like watching a dvd).

Sorta like the G5's have 9 fans and a pump but are still quite.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

just a poster
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 04:35 AM

So, "Severed Hand of Skywalker"...

which division of Microsoft marketing do you work for?

LOL

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by just a poster

LOL
haha...i didnt want to say anything. but you gotta admit it's good logic on his part..i mean they've copied everything else, from the likes of Apple and Nintendo, why skimp of cutting down the noise the way Apple does?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
haha...i didnt want to say anything. but you gotta admit it's good logic on his part..i mean they've copied everything else, from the likes of Apple and Nintendo, why skimp of cutting down the noise the way Apple does?
Because it is tried and true. M$ is saving a ton of reasearch by coying Apple.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Because it is tried and true. M$ is saving a ton of reasearch by coying Apple.
Yup, thats what i meant.

Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by just a poster

LOL
Right I forgot again that Apple invented intelligent fans and water pumps. It's not like the PC mod guys came up with that 10 years ago

Hey remember how the GameCube "copied" Apple by putting a handle on the Cube. Apple was the first one to invent handles. The cube also "copied" Apple by using ATI chips and PowerPC processors.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 02:23 PM

"TriXie: So, game publishers don't have to do anything to implement this anymore. But what will I have to do to listen to my music on my Xbox 360? Will I need to rip all my CDs again?

Steinglass: Nope. Xbox 360 gives you flexibility around where you store your music. You can still rip CDs to the console's hard drive. But you can also store music on your PC and stream it to Xbox 360, or you can stream it from any portable media player, a Rio Carbon, or an iPod."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/mu...l3=musicplayer

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ender2002
you are a retard ... Halo 3 will be here 2005
Halo 3 parrying PlayStation 3 launch

Assuming Bill is not as misinformed as the other 2 execs it looks like people expecting Halo 3 in 2005 are in for a disappointment, just like I ("a retard" according to some kids) predicted. If Sony decides to "surprise" everyone (and I say it that way because I do not think they have officially announced anything yet and it's just widely assumed that they will miss this holiday season) and launches the PS3 in 2005 alongside Xbox 2, then it looks like Bill is in for a disappointment, as well. And even if the PS3 is going to have a Spring 2006 launch date (assuming that's what he meant by "next spring"), something also tells me it is going to be hard to have Halo 3 polished and ready by then.

Final Score:
Retards: 1
Gullible Kids: 0
Genius. You know who.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 15, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
will the xbox 360 have 64bit cpus. at 3.5 or 32bit cpus?
64-bit, at 3.2. Not that matters if it's 64-bit or 32-bit in a console at this time...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
64-bit, at 3.2. Not that matters if it's 64-bit or 32-bit in a console at this time...
unless the console has like 8GB of RAM or something.

SHS, using ideas and adding to it with origianl ideas and innovation is one thing, copying everything from elsewhere is another thing. Microsoft, is like a band that covers songs by other bands, but never writes anything themselves except for that 'Start' menu in Windows....and your like the guy who says a Beatle's cover band is better than the actual Beatles.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy

Mirrored for your protection

-Owl
yea, looks like the swastika...good one MS
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:36 AM

Halo 3 will ship on the launch day for PS3 according to Bill Gates.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 12:41 AM

Halo 3 will ship on the launch day for PS3 according to Bill Gates.
I honestly doubt Halo 3 could make too much of a dent in the launch of PS-****in'-3.

Nice swastika controllers, too!

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I honestly doubt Halo 3 could make too much of a dent in the launch of PS-****in'-3.

Nice swastika controllers, too!
Ya it won't but it is sorta like the DS coming out to distract from the PSP. Or that Mini Gameboy thing to make up for a new gameboy solution.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:00 AM

Just saw an ad for the 360 on TV. Even the same colours:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PacHead
Baninated
May 18, 2005, 01:21 AM

I'm no big gamer, but from what I've seen so far, regarding demos from the xbox2 and the PS3, the xbox games look like complete crap, and some of the sony games look damn amazing.

And yeah, nice nazi controllers !

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:31 AM

"When people there were asked what company might have made the console, they guessed Sony or Apple. That thrilled Microsoft executives."

Uh right, after seeing the PS3 I say it is back to the drawing board!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...xdesign16.html
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; May 18, 2005 at 01:02 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I'm no big gamer, but from what I've seen so far, regarding demos from the xbox2 and the PS3, the xbox games look like complete crap, and some of the sony games look damn amazing.

And yeah, nice nazi controllers !

" between furiously posting the latest game information, we had the time to shoot the breeze with a PR representative from a third-party company. The conversation drifted toward the framerate issues that we've seen while previewing a few Xbox 360 titles. There is no doubt that the level of detail in the trailers is up to next-gen standards, but almost anything in-engine has chugged a bit at one point or another.

When asked about this issue our source replied that the current playable 360 games would all have framerate issues due to the fact that they are running on alpha test units. A rough estimate placed these machines at about one-third as powerful as the 360. We went head-to-head in Top Spin 2 and noticed that there were visible jaggies and a few frame drops. This is because the Alpha units do not run anti-aliasing and simply don't have the power to run a high-res game at full quality. The developers had tuned Top Spin 2 to run at a smooth 60 frames per second but this was simply not possible on the Alpha hardware. Official sources place the final development kit dates for July and the results promise to look much better.

It is not surprising that many games in early stages would suffer from the types of issues we've seen so far. Since the alpha units are underpowered, it is surprising that Microsoft hadn't touted this fact earlier. Knowing that the final products will most definitely run smoother certainly got us more excited about the 360 line-up."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615667p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 11:47 PM

This game looks like the metroid of 360. Awesome.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/6...91/vids_1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 12:26 AM

more on how it it was running on G5's with a limited graphics card.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2420&p=5

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ViviMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 03:27 AM

the xbox 2 has 3 3.2 g5s i read some where

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 09:56 AM

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 10:16 AM

Yup really bad news.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 03:56 AM

Honestly, this post was going to praise Microsoft(for a change) for actually implementing full backwards compatibility. But turns out....it's Microsoft's marketing hype as always...just like Win95 and XP were supposed to be totally new and efficient experiences. oh well.

If they do manage to implement full backwards compatibility with existing XBox games, that'll be quite an acomplishment, and they will get my attention and praise for it. but in their case, i am skeptical, since they havent really made any contribution to anything in their history.

Uriel
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 04:02 AM

I didn't see this mentioned so......

All the PS3 movies were pre-rendered.....

Remember when Sony said PS2 would have "Toy Story" graphics?

I have no console loyalty whatsoever I own a PS2, PSP and an XBox, but Sony has been known to over hype and sometimes flat out lie about it's products.

I'll believe it looks as good as Kill Switch when they show me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Uriel
I didn't see this mentioned so......

All the PS3 movies were pre-rendered.....

Remember when Sony said PS2 would have "Toy Story" graphics?

I have no console loyalty whatsoever I own a PS2, PSP and an XBox, but Sony has been known to over hype and sometimes flat out lie about it's products.

I'll believe it looks as good as Kill Switch when they show me.
All the PS3 movies were pre-rendered ? is that a fact or are you speculating ?

Currently im most interested in the PS3. But if what u say is true, that they only showed off pre rendered stuff. im afraid all 3 are going to be at the same level to me, until we start seeing actual in game footage. And did they actually claim "toy story"-like graphics ? lol....

I wonder if thats how they (MS & Sony) market their systems., i mean i knew Microsoft lies about everything to get it into ur home....but i am surprised that Sony did it as well. Lord knows if Nintneod claimes something like that, a couple of people here would be all over them like a pack of wolves on a christmas ham. lol

DarwinX
May 20, 2005, 09:22 AM

Didn't search the whole thread as it has gotten quite long. This is a look at the UI of the new xbox.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Reve...ace/1116564393

Forum Links
Forum Rules