Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Lawsuit filed against Apple over iPod nano scratches

Lawsuit filed against Apple over iPod nano scratches
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 02:39 PM

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Apple Computer over the iPod nano's suceptibility to scratches. The Red Herring reports that Jason Tomczak has filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple Computer on behalf of all iPod nano owners, demanding that customers get their money back as well as a share of the company’s profits on the music player’s sales." The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California in San Jose on Wednesday, October 19, 2005, according to the report. The lawsuit follows numerous discussions of Nano complaints around the Web, media reports about its increased susceptibility to scratches compared to previous generations, and Apple's acknowledgement of an LCD flaw with a small set of iPod nanos.

In the complaint, Tomczak says he rubbed a paper towel on his Nano front cover and "that alone left significant scratches." In addition, the suit charges that the Nano screens "scratch excessively during normal usage, rendering the screen on the Nanos [sic] unreadable, and violating state consumer protection statutes… and causing Plaintiff class members to incur loss of use and monetary damages."

http://www.ipodnn.com/news/05/10/21/ipod.nano.lawsuit/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macforme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 12:11 AM

...Jason Tomczak has filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple Computer on behalf of all iPod nano owners, demanding that customers get their money back as well as a share of the company’s profits on the music player’s sales...

Monetary damages, a share of the profits - what a complete ass! Anyone that's ever worn glasses knows that paper towels will scratch glass - and glass is harder than acrylic, right?

Jason Tomczak, you are a money grubbing, useless piece of garbage!

Railroader
Banned
Oct 23, 2005, 03:19 PM

The chrome on my car scratched when I use paper towels to clean it. Should I get a refund and part of the car manufacturer's profits on their other car sales?

What a moron. This guy will get shut down fast. Unfortunately Apple will have to pay a team of lawyers just to defend themselves from this idiot.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 03:38 PM

After seeing the scratches on a nano that has been babied, these customers definately deserve their money back.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
After seeing the scratches on a nano that has been babied, these customers definately deserve their money back.
I agree it is a problem but not worth a lawsuit. I had my nano for 4 hours and held it like it was a treasure, no rings, no other items in my silk lined pocket... and it still got major scratches.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
I agree it is a problem but not worth a lawsuit. I had my nano for 4 hours and held it like it was a treasure, no rings, no other items in my silk lined pocket... and it still got major scratches.
Wow, is it really that fragile? What do "major scratches" mean? Is purely cosmetic, or does it interfere with seeing the display? Have all nano owners experienced this?

WRT the lawsuit -- "share of the profits" is utterly absurd (and incredibly greedy), and using a paper towel sounds rather foolish to me. But if the nanos truly scratch *that* easily there be *something* to the lawsuit.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 11:23 PM

If Apple won't accept returns, then I think it's worth a lawsuit.

A product damaged so easily in normal use is defective. It's like a car whose paint job develops signficant, visible scratches just driving around town.

Originally Posted by lookmark
Is purely cosmetic, or does it interfere with seeing the display? Have all nano owners experienced this?
On the worst example I've seen, the nano might as well be a shuffle. The screen was useless.
On most of them, it just creates a significant annoyance when reading text or looking at pictures.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
A class action lawsuit has been filed against Apple Computer over the iPod nano's suceptibility to scratches. The Red Herring reports that Jason Tomczak has filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple Computer on behalf of all iPod nano owners, demanding that customers get their money back as well as a share of the company’s profits on the music player’s sales." The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California in San Jose on Wednesday, October 19, 2005, according to the report. The lawsuit follows numerous discussions of Nano complaints around the Web, media reports about its increased susceptibility to scratches compared to previous generations, and Apple's acknowledgement of an LCD flaw with a small set of iPod nanos.
Getting your money back is one thing, asking for a share of the music player's Profits?! That's ridiculous. How does buying a defective unit (or product) give you the idea to expect profit percentage on that product. That's unbelievable.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Wow, is it really that fragile? What do "major scratches" mean? Is purely cosmetic, or does it interfere with seeing the display? Have all nano owners experienced this?
yes many nano users have experienced this. Luckily my scratches were between the wheel and the screen.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 11:34 AM

If Apple won't accept returns, then I think it's worth a lawsuit.

A product damaged so easily in normal use is defective. It's like a car whose paint job develops signficant, visible scratches just driving around town.

On the worst example I've seen, the nano might as well be a shuffle. The screen was useless.
On most of them, it just creates a significant annoyance when reading text or looking at pictures.
Well, my wife's nano is fine after 3 weeks now. So I guess the other users are not using the nano in normal use huh? I don't think normal use means putting it in your pocket. If you want to protect it, then put it in a fricking sleeve! I have a 4G that I put in my pocket and it has 'minor' scratches. I'm not mad because I know full well that that behavior may result in 'minor' surface imperfections. If I wanted it to stay in mint condition I WOULD TREAT IT AS SUCH. If you want it PERFECT put it in a freaking SLEEVE. I have NO ISSUES viewing the screen with my surface scratches. If I did, I WOULD PUT IT IN A SLEEVE!

my rant-
I feel for Apple. They are getting bigger, selling more product and that gets their merchandise into more people's hands and there's at least one idiot for every ten people. Apple should go back to making iPods, PB, iBooks, etc out of CRAPPY tan PLASTIC crap that WON'T SCRATCH. But then people would whine that it's ugly and won't buy it.

Sorry guys, but there is no INDESTRUCTIBLE and yet still COOL material developed.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 11:52 AM

Didn't the iBook suffer the same "sue Apple, I'm scratched" syndrome when it was first released in its clear, glossy design?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 12:40 PM

This is absolutely retarded. Have the same people that are complaining about scratches not owned a cell phone or any other plastic piece of electronics within the past 10 years? Anything you own will go to crap if you don't take care of it. If it means that much to you that your Nano not get scratches, put it in a case and shut the hell up.

Wrong. How does your paint peeling make your car defective? Does the engine and transmission immediately cease to operate? If it bothers you, you should have used some wax. But, just because you failed to maintain your car, it in no way entitles you to a refund.

Laziness and stupidity are not reasons to reward people.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 02:08 PM

Well, the truth of it is... is that there is a problem. How on Earth can anyone claim that an iPod Nano is not designed to be put in your pocket without a case? That's ridiculous. My iPod Nano is pretty scratched up. Nothing that makes it useless or unreadable, but it is pretty annoying. I've been very careful with it as well.

I don't want to return it, and I don't want my money back... but I do want Apple to start making better choices about what materials to use on their very expensive, fashionable portable devices. If the screen on my $30 watch looks better after 3 years of heavy use then the screen of my month old babied iPod looks... well, then something is wrong.

EDIT: the screen on my cell phone looks better as well, and that has been banged around in my pocket for a year and a half...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
EDIT: the screen on my cell phone looks better as well, and that has been banged around in my pocket for a year and a half...
Same here. My 2 year old cellphone doesn't look HALF as bad after my pampered Nano after 4 hours.
( Last edited by Scandalous Ion Cannon; Oct 24, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
It's the same plastic as the other ipods, and people weren't bitching about that.
People have been bitching about it since 2001. It's because the nano is a ultra-portable device, much more so than the white iPods, that people take action only now. I have one myself and it does scratch way too easily for such a tiny device. Only a retard would use a carrying case all the time, so Apple made a bad design decision with the fragile coating.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 24, 2005, 02:14 PM

you have a 4 year old nano?

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hmmmmm... looks like I'll wait for the 2G nano...
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

thepodman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 02:41 PM

So a couple months back I rhino lined my cell phone and mouse (rhino lining is spray on truck bed lining, but you can brush it on as well). And it rocks because their durabilty when up exponentially. Now I am going to buy a new iPod and rhino line it (you know all the scratching that goes on, if you haven't hear... but I guess you wouldn't be reading this otherwise, oh nevermind). This will make it incrediblly cool and tough. I am just putting this out there in case anyone else wants to do the same.

The link to my info is on my blog www.escapemyhead.com and the specific post is here .

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 05:46 AM

All the people who keep posting "well, things scratch" must not actually own a nano.

I have owned a RAZR phone now for 2 months, being pocketed daily. After that time, the plastic part on the outer LCD screen has exactly zero visible scratches. The surface under it is black, similar to the Nano, so a scratch would show up. My older phone, a Sony Ericsson T610 also saw pocket use daily for 2 years, and does show wear and tear, but nowhere near what my Nano would look like in 2 years of use.

My Nano in the same pocket condition saw severe scratches on both the front and back sides after two days.

I personally don't care if Apple says the Nano is made from the same materials as the other iPods. It's a device that should be pocketable, and survive such an experience. I stopped carrying my Nano around, but if I hadn't, I'd estimate I'd only have about 1 or 2 more months before the screen would become unreadable. The device is not properly designed to be used outside of a carrying case. It also did not include such a device. To me, that justifies the lawsuit in a minor way, though I still thing the guy is insane for what he wants out of it.

Also, for the record, my 2 year old Rio Karma player has one noticeable scratch on it's plastic face, and some minor blemishes to the back. Nothing that impedes the operation, and this is after some pocket use, lots of travel in my laptop bag, and several motorcycle rides with it inside my motorcycle jacket. All without a carrying case. If normal iPods are truly built the same as the Nano, I think the Nano will be my last Apple music player.
<This space under renovation>

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 08:06 AM

Um....A RAZR phone has a METAL CASE-brushed metal at that. You could play hockey with a RAZR and not noticably scratch it. While the plastic used in iPod cases IS relatively scratchable, I can't say the product is defective because of that. If you put something made of plastic in a pocket that also has change and keys in it, what's going to get scratched-the keys or the plastic? DUH! The plastic!

Our 4G iPod looks great; we handled it carefully, and put an X-skin on it as soon as we could. Our son's 4G looks pretty good, because he had it for a bit longer before his X-skin came in. Otherwise, it's fine, with a few noticable scratches. Now with the Nano, you have (as noted elsewhere) an extremely light and small device, and there are all sorts of cases and carriers for it, but many of them do not seem to be intended to protect the surface-the wallet with a special slot for the Nano is a case in point. How about a microfiber bag, or silicone rubber skin? (I like the skins for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that they are easier to grip than the extremely smooth surface of an iPod.)

So can someone tell me how something that happens because of a customer's handling is the manufacturer's fault? Is the window manufacturer at fault because the neighbor kid hits a baseball through your window?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:52 AM

Me too. My black nano has never touched anything but cotton and it has plenty of scratches. It is amazing how soft cloth can scratch the plastics of the nano. I have never seen anything like it! Not worth a lawsuit, but come on Apple! My SE K700i has been in a rather brutal use, never with a cover and I've had it for months. Not one scratch on the display. Not one.

Um, here is a suggestion Apple: Use better plastics. Other than that I absoloutly love my nano. Best iPod I've tried yet.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Drakino
All the people who keep posting "well, things scratch" must not actually own a nano.
Actually, I went to my local Apple Store this weekend and deliberately tried to scratch the iPod nanos they had on display. I tried with my thumbnail and I tried with a paper towel. I did this to several nanos. Not a single scratch.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Um....A RAZR phone has a METAL CASE-brushed metal at that. You could play hockey with a RAZR and not noticably scratch it.

Metal scratches quite easily. Hell, even my TITANIUM wedding ring is all scratched up. There's plenty of minerals and materials that are harder than metal.

betasp
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 09:39 AM

You are all forgetting that Apple said this thing was "durable" and shipped it without any protection whatsoever. Yet, the don't market the others as durable and do package protection. If it needed a sleeve or protection to be "durable" then Apple should have disclaimed its "durable" statement. Clearly false advertising and that is really what the suit is about.

PS. I, too, have a T610 that is 2 years old with 0 scratches. It is black and plastic, but well made.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by betasp
You are all forgetting that Apple said this thing was "durable" and shipped it without any protection whatsoever. Yet, the don't market the others as durable and do package protection. If it needed a sleeve or protection to be "durable" then Apple should have disclaimed its "durable" statement. Clearly false advertising and that is really what the suit is about.

PS. I, too, have a T610 that is 2 years old with 0 scratches. It is black and plastic, but well made.
No, that's not what the suit is about. It's about the scratches and greed, pure and simple.

You don't ask for a cut of the profits for false advertising.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Drakino

I have owned a RAZR phone now for 2 months, being pocketed daily. After that time, the plastic part on the outer LCD screen has exactly zero visible scratches. The surface under it is black, similar to the Nano, so a scratch would show up. My older phone, a Sony Ericsson T610 also saw pocket use daily for 2 years, and does show wear and tear, but nowhere near what my Nano would look like in 2 years of use.

My Nano in the same pocket condition saw severe scratches on both the front and back sides after two days.

I personally don't care if Apple says the Nano is made from the same materials as the other iPods. It's a device that should be pocketable, and survive such an experience. I stopped carrying my Nano around, but if I hadn't, I'd estimate I'd only have about 1 or 2 more months before the screen would become unreadable. The device is not properly designed to be used outside of a carrying case. It also did not include such a device. To me, that justifies the lawsuit in a minor way, though I still thing the guy is insane for what he wants out of it.

Also, for the record, my 2 year old Rio Karma player has one noticeable scratch on it's plastic face, and some minor blemishes to the back. Nothing that impedes the operation, and this is after some pocket use, lots of travel in my laptop bag, and several motorcycle rides with it inside my motorcycle jacket. All without a carrying case. If normal iPods are truly built the same as the Nano, I think the Nano will be my last Apple music player.
I have a black RAZR, and in case you didn't know, the screen on the outside is glass, not plastic. Secondly, I have a 4gb White Nano as well. I got it on the day they were released, and guess what. . . NO SCRATCHES. All I did was keep it in the little film that came with it, rubbed off the letters and there ya go. I use it when running, and at the ofice, it's been in my pocket many, many times. Still looks brand new.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 11:11 AM

After 1.5 years of (ab)use, my cell phone is not nearly as scratched as some 1.5 week old nanos I've seen.
Apple did a shoddy job with the nanos screen, and they need to be held accountable.

betasp
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 11:50 AM

No, that's not what the suit is about. It's about the scratches and greed, pure and simple.

You don't ask for a cut of the profits for false advertising.
The suit discusses Apple's claim that is was durable and that it is not by scratching. Have you read the actual suit? The suit seeks to have the complaint certified as a class action claim and asks for "damages in the amount of monies paid for Nanos," as well as unspecified actual, statutory and punitive damages. Asking for a "cut of the profits" are what is called punative damages. It is what you do to punish a company since you can't send a company to jail. Again, explain how you can purchase something that is marketed as "durable" and not expect that product to standup to daily wear and tear? I think you are going to find this suit has merit.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 12:21 PM

My Nano's screen looks dirty all the time due to being covered with tiny scratches and marks. It has been treated with care. The only place it ever goes is in my pocket with my wallet or by itself. I have been careful not to put it in the same pocket as my keys or cell phone.

Is the screen ruined? No, it still works. I can still read it. It's just annoying as hell. I was in the Apple Store yesterday and the Nano's in the store looked 100 times better because there was nothing wrong with them. the screens looked twice as bright and twice as clear.

I think that Apple may be telling the truth about the Nano's being made out of the same material... but something is different here. I think that due to either the tight pixel density on the new screens or the closeness of the plastic to the actual screen, scratches are showing up a lot more then they did in the past. My 3G screen is also pretty scratched up, but it doesn't have any effect on clarity.

The bottom line is this. A $250 MP3 player should be able to be put in a pocket without having to worry about permanent screen damage. It's designed to be put in a pocket. That's what it is for. To say you need a case to use it properly is complete bunk. To say you need to leave the shipping plastic on is bunk. I shouldn't need a case at all. I should be able to use the device as advertised and not worry about the screen getting messed up after 1 month of normal use.

I cannot imagine what it would look like after a year of normal use.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 12:27 PM

ort888 next time you are in an Apple Store see if you can exchange it and what they say.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure what that would accomplish, since the one I would exchange it for would also just get scratched up in a month. I need to wait until there are some case options before trying to make an exchange.

I'm just annoyed that I have to use a case at all. It kind of defeats the purpose of making it so small. I put my 3G in a case right away and it made it absolutely huge. I was very anal about taking care of it and it is in great shape to this day. However, I was always annoyed by how large it was, especially with the bulky case. Most of my friends don't use iPod cases and after looking at how theirs held up (very scratched but fully functional) I decided to not be so anal with the Nano and just let it get scratched. I don't want to put it in a case. I wanted to enjoy it's tiny size. I was not expecting the scratches to get so bad so quickly and for the screen clarity to suffer. That is something that definitely DID NOT happen to any of my friends with case-less iPods.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 01:19 PM

The suit discusses Apple's claim that is was durable and that it is not by scratching. Have you read the actual suit? The suit seeks to have the complaint certified as a class action claim and asks for "damages in the amount of monies paid for Nanos," as well as unspecified actual, statutory and punitive damages. Asking for a "cut of the profits" are what is called punative damages. It is what you do to punish a company since you can't send a company to jail. Again, explain how you can purchase something that is marketed as "durable" and not expect that product to standup to daily wear and tear? I think you are going to find this suit has merit.
No, it is greed, not punitive damages.

"Punitive damages" is usually some set amount on top of the refund. Not some percentage of the profits.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 02:51 PM

I'm not sure what that would accomplish, since the one I would exchange it for would also just get scratched up in a month. I need to wait until there are some case options before trying to make an exchange.
Get a new one and right away put on this http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/in...ROD&ProdID=161

Mine didn't arrive in time and I thought I could use my nano for 4 hours safely. I was wrong.

At any rate that shield is amazing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 04:52 PM

Have you tried the shield? I saw a review on iLounge but was a little skeptical.

I don't know. It's annoying. I'm about to leave the country for two weeks and I want to take the Nano with me. I don't have time to mess with Apple right now since I'm getting married in 4 days.

I'll go ahead and take it with me and then see if they will take it back. I'm not hopeful for some reason. Maybe if I tell them it has some sort of other problem they will replace it... but I would feel like a heel doing that.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 05:19 PM

You are all forgetting that Apple said this thing was "durable" and shipped it without any protection whatsoever. Yet, the don't market the others as durable and do package protection.
Ipods come with protection? Where? When? Are you saying that other non-nano ipods are not marketed as durable but come with cases? I must have missed the memo.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 05:21 PM

You don't need to use a f*cking case. Go to staples. Spend $2 on some crystal clear packaging tape. Apply to nano. Trim with exacto. Poof. If it gets messed up, don't worry, you have about 100 more disposable cases in that roll of tape.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 05:25 PM

We shouldn't have to go to lengths like this to protect it. My $250 dollar pocket MP3 player should not need to have packing tape on it to remain unscratched in an empty pocket.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 05:30 PM

boohoo. It's cheap to protect.

zpapa21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 09:54 PM

Well, i got a few questions guys if you dont mind. First of all i sent my ipod nano back to Apple on September 28th, they received it on September 29th and ever since then the last update on their site is the 30th when they sent an order for a new one. Now i am assuming the reason they haven't shipped it back to me is because of all these issues they are having to deal with. So, first do you need to fill out some information to show you have been affected by this problem, and if so where would that be? And if you did own a Nano at some point in time and send it back, have you received it yet? Thanks for your help.

By the way my Nano had the LCD problem, i didn't have it long enough for it to scratch itself up.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 10:19 PM

Could people post pictures of their scratched nanos, please? I'm curious exactly just how bad the damage is.

I've seen pics over at nanoscratch.com and it's hard to tell from the horrible quality of the photos and screens for some reason turned off, but frankly, most look rather cosmetic / minor.... more, perhaps, and very fine, but generally about the same level of nuisance as my 4G iPod (which I keep in a case but it still got a few scratches anyway). Extremely annoying, I'm sure, but not exactly class-action-lawsuit-worthy...

Feel free to prove me wrong, though -- post a picture, with screen display on, showing how scratches maul the screen. Also describe your usage. Thanks.
( Last edited by lookmark; Oct 25, 2005 at 10:26 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 10:22 PM

Have you tried the shield? I saw a review on iLounge but was a little skeptical.
Yes I have it and it is amazing. The customer service is great also.

gorotdi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man

"Punitive damages" is usually some set amount on top of the refund. Not some percentage of the profits.
Punitive damages are whatever the jury determines them to be, period. Whenever a plaintiff sets a dollar amount on the injury, there needs to be a justification. In the case, as here, of a company making millions of dollars on a product that doesn't perform (or at least hold up) as advertised, then using the profits gained by that company seems to be a pretty reasonable starting point on which to base a determination of punitive damages.

Those claiming that this suit is based purely on greed are missing one obvious point... this suit was filed as a CLASS action. Any monetary damages that are awarded are divided up amongst the class members. The person filing the suit on behalf of the class is just one more class member and doesn't receive any more money than any other member of the class. The punitive damages received by ane one class member would be very minimal indeed... probably a dollar or two.

This suit has merit. Even if it doesn't see a court room, which it likely won't, Apple certainly has gotten A LOT of negative attention, and I would think this will make them rethink their choice of plastics for the 2G nanos and 6G ipods.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 02:43 AM

As much as I`d love to say this guy is a fool and a idiot, he has a point. The Nano is about as durable as a day old baby in the back of a pickup truck driving across the badlands of South Dakota. That being said, really, they should have at least shipped a damned slip or something so that they would have an excuse when they got scratched up.

Long story short its a lot of bad press.

volcano
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 03:21 AM

When I went to my local Apple store yesterday, I saw the Nanos in person for the first time. Some were significantly stratched - especially the black models. You know, it still surprises me they introduced a black model of the iPod - it seems obvious to me that black would make scratches more noticable.

Doesn't Apple stress-test any of its products? Granted, we're not talking about a mattress or a tire here, but the same principle still applies. They need to test it in real-world situations. Isn't there a team of people at Apple thinking "What kind of real-world situations will this iPod be in? Obvious: pocket, purse, backpack... let's test it out." The product's mechanics might work just fine, but isn't it a problem when the screen is so scratched that text is barely readable? I love my iPod, iMac, and iBook - and Apple is usually backed up by its loyal users who say "quality over quantity" [in regards to software, hardware, and Mac OS X]. Doesn't the iPod's durability pretty much juxtapose that statement? It doesn't follow the unwritten mantra of Apple.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - a custom-cut piece of a Palm Pilot screen protector film works just fine for my iPod in my book.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 AM

Can someone show me where Apple says the Nano is "durable?" It sure doesn't seem to say that here on the Nano page.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gorotdi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 09:26 AM

Show me where Ford said Pintos wouldn't explode if hit from behind.

The point is that if a product, ANY product, doesn't hold up when used in the manner it's meant to be used, then it's a defective product.

betasp
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 09:53 AM

Durable was in the original TV and taken off later (further proof IMO of Apple realizing a problem). Found in paragraph 10 of the lawsuit: “Apple has advertised and marketed the Nano as being impossibly small and durable…” The original TV ad had “Impossibly Small, Impossibly Durable.”

Also, a quick check of Apple's web site led us to an iPod nano tutorial that states "Smaller than an iPod mini and thinner than an iPod shuffle, iPod nano slips comfortably into a shirt or hip pocket," but does not mention the need for a protective cover.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
HEY MORONS! It's the same plastic as the other ipods, and people weren't bitching about that. I hope they file a countersuit and fleece you for being stupid.
Actually, Its NOT the same plastic as other iPods. On the nanos and now the regular iPods, they have an acryllic layer on the front of the plastic. On the older iPods the plastic was exposed, and it didn't scratch as much.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Geezus_Aach
Oct 26, 2005, 10:35 AM

people will sue for anything now a days...pretty lame if you ask me...

i just got the new ipod video in black. if i look at it real close, i see a thin 1mm thick clear front layer over the black... i know its not the nano, but just wanted to mention apple may relize this as an issue. ive had my ipod for less than 24 hours, no major scratches (yet).
( Last edited by Geezus_Aach; Oct 26, 2005 at 10:50 AM. )
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 10:48 AM

has anyone come across these 2 nano cases. Just wanted to if anyone has found them the least bit durable in day to day use.

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product...oducts_id=4052

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product...oducts_id=4055

The reason i ask is becuase the look fairly minimal.It's just so hard to decide if it's worth buying a nano.

Or would you suggest i just stick with the nano tubes
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules