Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Lawsuit filed against Apple over iPod nano scratches

Lawsuit filed against Apple over iPod nano scratches (Page 3)
MacJeeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 01:07 PM

For the jokers who are comparing cell phone to ipod, thats like comparing apples and oranges (forgive the pun).
You know Jeep has major scratches from "normal use", I think I will Sue Chrysler.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
MacCentral did a review of a ton of iPod scratch removers. ALL of them needed over an hour of rubbing plus they made next to no improvement, some even made things worse.
Good for them.

Mothers Plastic polish works in half the time.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MacJeeper
For the jokers who are comparing cell phone to ipod, thats like comparing apples and oranges (forgive the pun).
Not really. Both are consumer electronics devices that usually end up in someones pocket. If my plastic candybar phone can hold up in my pocket for 2 years, my plastic MP3 player should be able to do the same.
<This space under renovation>

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dwishbone
i also know quite a few people with a nano and they have no screen scratch issues.
I sincerely doubt that.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 08:49 PM

Was Apple willing to exchanged scratched units for anyone?

MacJeeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino
Not really. Both are consumer electronics devices that usually end up in someones pocket. If my plastic candybar phone can hold up in my pocket for 2 years, my plastic MP3 player should be able to do the same.
consumer electronics devices yes they are and that is the only similarity unless you want to get into the technical crap, but my point.. they are not the same, the plastic used in the screens are totally different. Quite frankly, ipods even though go into the pockets, they are not designed to go into a pockets. If you want one that goes into the pocket, buy a dell or creative.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 11:12 PM

The lawsuit has been expanded to other countries now.

Seems the problem is the layer is the same as old iPods but much thinner. You can see it just by looking at it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by MacJeeper
consumer electronics devices yes they are and that is the only similarity unless you want to get into the technical crap, but my point.. they are not the same, the plastic used in the screens are totally different. Quite frankly, ipods even though go into the pockets, they are not designed to go into a pockets. If you want one that goes into the pocket, buy a dell or creative.
1000 Songs in Your Pocket*

(*not for use in pockets)
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
I sincerely doubt that.
I have a nano. No major scratches. Lot's of fingerprints though, maybe I should sue...

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
The lawsuit has been expanded to other countries now.

Seems the problem is the iPod is the same as old iPods but much thinner. You can see it just by looking at it.
Fixed.â„¢

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
I have a nano. No major scratches. Lot's of fingerprints though, maybe I should sue...
When did you buy it?

Because if you got one of the first batch, it is pretty much impossible that you *didn't* get it badly scratched up in the meantime.

People are NOT imagining this, regardless of snide comments.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 06:06 AM

1000 Songs in Your Pocket*

(*not for use in pockets)

Thank you. Probably couldn't have said it better myself.

To the person saying iPods aren't for pockets, I guess if I buy an iPod, I must use the white headphones and constantly dance around with the thing as seen in the commercials?
<This space under renovation>

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 02:20 PM

When did you buy it?

Because if you got one of the first batch, it is pretty much impossible that you *didn't* get it badly scratched up in the meantime.

People are NOT imagining this, regardless of snide comments.
I bought it at Apple Expo Paris, whenever that was. 6-8 weeks ago?

Where are the photos of these horrificly scratched nanos? Surely some of the apparent boatload of people with 'defective' nanos also have cameras?

I am NOT imagining a scratch-free screen, regardless of snide comments.
( Last edited by siMac; Nov 8, 2005 at 02:30 PM. )

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino
Thank you. Probably couldn't have said it better myself.

To the person saying iPods aren't for pockets, I guess if I buy an iPod, I must use the white headphones and constantly dance around with the thing as seen in the commercials?
Dear God no! Think about it - if the advert says '1000 Songs in Your Pocket' but you can't actually put it in your pocket or it will scratch so much that baby jesus cries, then following the other adverts' example is surely going to lead to some kind of terrible quantum singularity, rendering your iPod unusable and destroying all the known universe!

Just sit down quietly for a while. Nice and safe like.

p20789
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 05:00 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 07:13 PM

The nano's now come with cases:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000680067514/

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2005, 04:07 AM

So, how can I tell if I'm purchasing a first-or-second batch iPod nano?
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 11:30 AM

By buying a new one, ie. not second hand.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 02:33 PM

By buying a new one, ie. not second hand.
He said BATCH not HAND.

He wants one with a free cheap case.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 02:49 PM

or with the hardened surface.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
He said BATCH not HAND.

He wants one with a free cheap case.
And if you buy a NEW iPod Nano directly from Apple, should it not be the newest version? On the other hand, buying one second hand has not guarantee about what version you might get, right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 07:19 AM

or with the hardened surface.
Yeah, I'm more interested in the hardened screen surface than the cheapo case. I've got some iPod socks that'll do the trick.

My friend is buying my iPod mini off me for 1200 RMB (about $150 USD, which is a fantastic price considering the condition I've kept this thing in), and the iPod mini is the most robust full-featured iPod there is. I dropped it numerous times, it's had absolutely no problems—and after eight months of heavy use it literally has zero scratches. It looks and works brand new.

Either way, he's purchasing the mini off me within a day or two, and I feel so empty without an iPod.

But since the second-batch nanos were released just a few days ago, I doubt many (if any) of them have reached China yet. There are hundreds of Apple Experience Centres here, but if there was a way to tell if I was getting a second-batch nano (the techs there probably have no idea about the new included case), perhaps through a change in the way the serial numbers are determined, I'd rest a little easier.

Also, is it safe to leave an iPod nano unsupported in a non-standard dock for long periods of time? ie. a mini dock... (I've got 2, I'll probably give one to my friend).
iPod nano White/4 GB

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2005, 10:06 AM

Cleanup, is there a problem for a person in Shanghai ordering a new iPod directly from Apple? I mean the instant gratification of getting one from an Apple Store may be great, but waiting for one that's virtually guaranteed to be what you want would trump the waiting time for me.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Cleanup, is there a problem for a person in Shanghai ordering a new iPod directly from Apple? I mean the instant gratification of getting one from an Apple Store may be great, but waiting for one that's virtually guaranteed to be what you want would trump the waiting time for me.
There most certainly is.

Apple China is terrible. You order over the phone, it takes three weeks to get to you, and say goodbye to customer service.

At an Apple Experience Center, the franchisee handles everything. You can go to them if you have problems and such. Good luck ordering direct from Apple. Only Hong Kong has decent Apple-direct service.
iPod nano White/4 GB

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2005, 12:46 PM

Sorry to hear that. Your situation seems to be the opposite of the rest of the world's Apple service.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 01:17 PM

No, I'd say it's nicely in line with the service I have experienced in the UK and France. Or did you mean 'rest of the world' in the GWB sense, meaning 'America'?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 01:26 PM

I always get the worst response from Apple Support. It took them 40 minutes on the phone before they admitted my Mighty Mouse was busted. The scroll wheel actually jammed up and they did software troubleshooting, and fussed with my Applecare. What that had to do with a busted 2 month old mouse is beyond me.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2005, 06:28 PM

No, I'd say it's nicely in line with the service I have experienced in the UK and France. Or did you mean 'rest of the world' in the GWB sense, meaning 'America'?

I'm not talking about customer support in the "I have a problem" sense, but in the "I want to buy something" sense. And I haven't ever heard of people having problems buying stuff directly from Apple in the UK or France...or the rest of the world, except China for that matter.

As for customer service in the "I have a problem" sense, Apple tends to get good marks here in the U.S., but I haven't seen any data on elsewhere. I certainly don't generalize about such without solid data.

(I'm somewhat offended that anyone would come to that sort of conclusion about me in any case.)

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm not talking about customer support in the "I have a problem" sense, but in the "I want to buy something" sense. And I haven't ever heard of people having problems buying stuff directly from Apple in the UK or France...or the rest of the world, except China for that matter.

As for customer service in the "I have a problem" sense, Apple tends to get good marks here in the U.S., but I haven't seen any data on elsewhere. I certainly don't generalize about such without solid data.

(I'm somewhat offended that anyone would come to that sort of conclusion about me in any case.)

Honestly how good is apples service in the states.I mean "i have a problem type service".I mean i read these consumer reports about how apple trumps dell etc but in oz the service tends to be quite ordinary to quite poor.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2005, 09:35 PM

PC Magazine's survey said they were at least as good as Dell; both earned an A+ for customer service in the recent reader satisfaction survey. PC Magazine's survey methodology is first-rate, and their conclusions are solid: plus since they are Windows-focused, that means that they are quite impressed by Apple.

fafnir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 06:53 AM

Where are the photos of these horrificly scratched nanos? Surely some of the apparent boatload of people with 'defective' nanos also have cameras?
Still waiting for photos...

Half the people bitch about scratches, the other half glorify their brand-new-looking iPod nano.
I own a mini and want eventually update to an nano, so I just searched on different boards for photos of these evil scratches... i didn't found any! Neither here nor on ilounge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules