Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How they named companies

How they named companies
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 01:39 PM

Pepsi- Pepsi derives its name from (treatment of) dyspepsia, an intestinal ailment.

http://deliberately-different.blogsp...companies.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2006, 04:05 PM

Adidas - from the name of the founder, Adi Dassler !
Aldi - ALbrecht (founders) DIscount !

Edit: Darn, should have read the link. Ah well, double info. At least the Aldi part is new.
( Last edited by turtle777; Feb 22, 2006 at 05:58 PM. )

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Pepsi- Pepsi derives its name from (treatment of) dyspepsia, an intestinal ailment.

I'm all but certain that this is incorrect. I've been to the corner drug store in New Bern, NC where Pepsi was created. It's right across the street from an Episcopal Church. Pepsi Cola is an anagram of Episcopal.

There are a bunch of theories out there as to where the name came from- but it's a pretty big coincidence. Add to that the drug store is still there, with a plaque detailing the drink's origin and describing the change of the name from "Brad's Drink" to Pepsi Cola. The plaque says it's the church.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 05:19 PM

"Coca-Cola- Coca-Cola's name is derived from the coca leaves and kola nuts used as flavoring. Coca-Cola creator John S. Pemberton changed the 'K' of kola to 'C' for the name to look better."

And it is 100% true that coke at one time had a VERY small amount of Cocaine in it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2006, 05:49 PM

The very second one in that list is wrong also. It claims the "less-than sign" over the "t" in "Accenture" is supposed to be an arrow pointing toward the future, whereas anyone who's ever played any musical instrument knows that it's actually a musical accent mark. Since the company's name has "Accent" in it, I would think it's pretty safe to say that that is what the mark is supposed to be...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 06:16 PM

Nokia is a small town. Yet another case of Finnish sounding pseudo-Japanese

edit: yes, as conveniently already mentioned in The Friendly Article linked up there in the first post.

J

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2006, 06:43 PM

Bill Gates named his company after his penis. Seriously.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 07:05 PM

HyperGlobalCompuMeganet was named by Marge.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 22, 2006, 07:27 PM

Apple derives its' name from an apple Steve was eating for lunch while he and Woz were tinkering around in his parents garage.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2006, 08:04 PM

In the future, link to the original source (here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...me_etymologies ) rather than a cut-and-pasted-with-errors ripoff.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2006, 08:07 PM

And actually, Wikipedia is wrong in both that list and on the Pepsi page: the name derives from pepsin, one of the ingredients in Pepsi. (The pepsin page on wikipedia correctly states this.) I've seen the pepsin explanation on multiple histories of Pepsi in print and TV.

tooki

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 08:31 PM

Compaq- from "comp" for computer, and "pack" to denote a small integral object

wow ok

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2006, 10:38 PM

And it is 100% true that coke at one time had a VERY small amount of Cocaine in it.
Yes, and they still use a cocaine-free derivative of the coca plant in it. There is one company that has a special license from the DEA to produce it for Coca-Cola.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
In the future, link to the original source (here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...me_etymologies ) rather than a cut-and-pasted-with-errors ripoff.

tooki
Well excuuuuse me. How would I know.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2006, 01:04 AM

I think it's a good thread SWG

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 23, 2006, 01:41 AM

And actually, Wikipedia is wrong in both that list and on the Pepsi page: the name derives from pepsin, one of the ingredients in Pepsi. (The pepsin page on wikipedia correctly states this.) I've seen the pepsin explanation on multiple histories of Pepsi in print and TV.

tooki
I don't think so. Your wrong.

Unless you have a link, don't blow somebody's post off.

So link please.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Bill Gates named his company after his penis. Seriously.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 10:56 AM

tooki
Ahhh.. so if it was in wikipedia and on TV it MUST be true. You world must be a happy aadn uncomplicated place to live.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2006, 11:00 AM

What ? Wiki is NOT reliable ? OMGWTFBBQ ?!?!?!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Ahhh.. so if it was in wikipedia and on TV it MUST be true. You world must be a happy aadn uncomplicated place to live.
An anagram is a BIT of a stretch, don't you think?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
An anagram is a BIT of a stretch, don't you think?
Yep.

But all the info I've found on the naming seems to be anecdotal. There seems to be no evidence that the drink ever contained pepsin, or even initially, kola. Pepsi's site gives no history for the naming and no site that has information has any attribution for their "facts."

So, while it's possible, isn't it odd that a name was chosen that is a: a derivation of a name of a chemical that may or may not have been in the formula and b: a misspelling of "kola."

Perhaps this is how the name was chosen. But standing at the drug store, there is a grand stone episcopal church in plain view. It's right across the street.

So absent any solid facts, I think the historical marker placed by the town is as likely to be right as anything.

My point is that I don't believe it is a known fact.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
I don't think so. Your wrong.

Unless you have a link, don't blow somebody's post off.
Irony.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 23, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Apple derives its' name from an apple Steve was eating for lunch while he and Woz were tinkering around in his parents garage.
Damned if i could remember the woman's name, but I had a lecture from a woman in college that was there with steve and bill when steve decided to come up with apple. she said that they were all sitting around smoking pot, and steve said "i want to build a computer that will be good for everyone, it'll be like 'an apple a day'..."

edit: steve and steve, not steve and bill - duh! sorry!
( Last edited by MrsLarry; Feb 23, 2006 at 03:00 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry
Damned if i could remember the woman's name, but I had a lecture from a woman in college that was there with steve and bill when steve decided to come up with apple. she said that they were all sitting around smoking pot, and steve said "i want to build a computer that will be good for everyone, it'll be like 'an apple a day'..."
From the Apple IIc User's Manual, from 1984 (paraphrased from memory):

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were nearing the deadline for filing the "Fictitious Name Statement" necessary to start a business. Jobs looked at the apple he was eating and they decided that unless they came up with a better name by 5 o'clock PM they would call the company Apple. "Five o'clock came and went. Apple was the new company's name." (that part was a direct quote from the manual).

Mike Markkula (the so called "third founder," who wasn't really a founder) was not present. No mention of pot smoking. Bill Gates was not present.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Irony.
No, I don't think so. My post at least shows a link and people are saying it isn't true but not offering any other info.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dakar
Professional Poster

I thought the name was part tribute to his love of the Beatles?

MrsLarry
Senior User

Originally Posted by Person Man
From the Apple IIc User's Manual, from 1984 (paraphrased from memory):

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were nearing the deadline for filing the "Fictitious Name Statement" necessary to start a business. Jobs looked at the apple he was eating and they decided that unless they came up with a better name by 5 o'clock PM they would call the company Apple. "Five o'clock came and went. Apple was the new company's name." (that part was a direct quote from the manual).

Mike Markkula (the so called "third founder," who wasn't really a founder) was not present. No mention of pot smoking. Bill Gates was not present.
Well, I guess you got me..i don't have any evidence or anything. I wish I could remember her name!!! She was supposedly one of the first ladies of the internet, she was an artist, and displayed art online.

And that was a mis-typed, i didn't mean steve and bill, i meant to say steve and steve - Doh! I fixed it.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I thought the name was part tribute to his love of the Beatles?
It could be many things. Steve also thought that he could live off of eating nothing but Apples. It didn't last.

He also didn't wear deodorant.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 03:15 PM

Meh, lots of crap on that website. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Pepsi is derived from pepsine, an enzyme in the stomach which aids in digestion.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2006, 04:19 PM

nm.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Feb 23, 2006 at 04:31 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Meh, lots of crap on that website. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Pepsi is derived from pepsine, an enzyme in the stomach which aids in digestion.

cheers

W-Y
This keep being stated as fact. What do you base your fact on? As stated above, it's written about in several places on the internet, but nobody I have found has any footnotes or attributions for this "fact."

Why are you so sure?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2006, 09:00 PM

Watch "Empires of Industry: Cola Wars". It mentions the pepsin source.

Paco, we totally understand that the internet isn't reliable: that was the point of my post. But the pepsin explanation has been documented offline repeatedly.

tooki

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 10:05 AM

Watch "Empires of Industry: Cola Wars". It mentions the pepsin source.

Paco, we totally understand that the internet isn't reliable: that was the point of my post. But the pepsin explanation has been documented offline repeatedly.

tooki
I'll have to watch it. However, unless they attribute a direct source, I'll remain unconvinced. As I stated above, just because it's said a lot doesn't make it true. Not a single site I have found on the subject provides anything more than supposition.

It could be right, but if were an absolutely know fact, you would think someone somewhere could document it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2006, 11:04 AM

That is true.

But it certainly seems to me that an anagram of a church denomination is far less likely to be the source than is one of the ingredients!

tooki

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 12:39 PM

That is true.

But it certainly seems to me that an anagram of a church denomination is far less likely to be the source than is one of the ingredients!

tooki
I agree completely. However, if you do some research online, it seems an unknown if pepsin was even an ingredient- there is no record of it I could find.

However, it is undisputed that there is a Big A$$ Episcopal Church right across the street.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2006, 03:06 PM

Yeah, but that just makes no sense.

Also, a cursory google search for "pepsi pepsin" comes up with http://www.sodamuseum.bigstep.com/generic.jhtml?pid=3 which mentions some original sources for the claim.

A book review at http://medialit.med.sc.edu/pepsi.htm contains a sort-of contradictory claim that Pepsi is named after pepsin, but that it never contained it.

This site, http://www.greenvillepepsi.com/frames2/1898.htm , which claims PepsiCo as its source for information, also claims pepsin as an original ingredient and the source for the name.

I'd say that based on available information (including the soft drink industry's beginnings as cure-all tonics whose ingredients often did not match up with the ingredient lists), the pepsin source for the name is the least unlikely.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2006, 03:11 PM

Oooh, here's a good one:

In 1898, Caleb D. Bradham, a small town pharmacist looked for a name that would better describe his formula which he was selling locally under the name "Brad's Drink." He bought the name "Pep Kola" from a local competitor and changed it to Pepsi-Cola.
That's from pepsi.com: http://www.pepsi.com/help/faqs/faq.p...ds_and_history . What's weird is that I couldn't find any links to a history from pepsi.com's front page -- I found this deep-linked from another site.

tooki

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2006, 03:13 PM

Dr. Pepper was originally used for upset stomachs as well. Except that it didn't used to be carbonized and was servered warm ala Euro style.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 04:54 PM

Yeah, but that just makes no sense.
Makes no sense is a stretch. I'm agreeing with you that's it's unlikely.

Also, a cursory google search for "pepsi pepsin" comes up with http://www.sodamuseum.bigstep.com/generic.jhtml?pid=3 which mentions some original sources for the claim.
While this is the most convincing evidence for your position I've seen, it's still circumstantial. All it says is that there was an ad for the soda that was printed years after Pepsi was originally produced mentioned Pepsin. It's kind of like claiming that 7up's name was chosen on the basis of the "Make 7up yours" ad campaign. It's possible that the name was already chosen and then exploited for it's connection to pepsin later. I agree it's unlikely, but again, there is no source here for how the name was chosen, it's just stated as an unattributed fact.

This site, http://www.greenvillepepsi.com/frames2/1898.htm , which claims PepsiCo as its source for information, also claims pepsin as an original ingredient and the source for the name.
Perhaps I missed it, but there is no footnotes/attribution on this page to anything.

That's from pepsi.com: http://www.pepsi.com/help/faqs/faq.p...ds_and_history . What's weird is that I couldn't find any links to a history from pepsi.com's front page -- I found this deep-linked from another site.
This appears to be false info. Lots of information exists that the Pepsi Cola name was in use for years before he bought the rights to the Pep Kola name, which seems to be an attempt to bolster his existing trademark.

I'd say that based on available information (including the soft drink industry's beginnings as cure-all tonics whose ingredients often did not match up with the ingredient lists), the pepsin source for the name is the least unlikely.
Agreed. However, if the name was based on pepsin and kola, why Pepsi Cola? Why not Pepsin Kola? Perhaps the odd misspellings were from the Church across the street? The historical society of New Bern think so, and quite frankly, nothing you or anyone has posted or written (that I can find) contradicts that in any way.

And it's a much more interesting story. And I like that.
( Last edited by Paco500; Feb 24, 2006 at 05:36 PM. )

Rumor
Feb 24, 2006, 08:37 PM

1898: New Bern, N.C., pharmacist Caleb Bradham renames "Brad's Drink," his carbonated fountain cola concoction, Pepsi-Cola.

This is from the Ask Lisa portion of the Pepsi Website.

In 1898, Caleb Bradham, a New Bern, North Carolina pharmacist, switched the name of his popular concoction from Brad's Drink, to Pepsi-Cola on August 28th. Though Pepsi is not an anagram for anything, Caleb believed the name captured the spirit of the beverage and the customers at his drugstores soda fountain agreed. The rest, as they say, is history!

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 08:51 PM

We the above is just silly. It is an anagram for Episcopal weather Pepsico likes it or not. That is not debatable. The only question is whether it was intentional.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2006, 11:41 PM

I think it's just not something they want tied to their billion dollar name. I bet on it being true about the church.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules