Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cars (the Pixar movie)

Cars (the Pixar movie)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:53 PM

I just got back from seeing it.

Not bad. Definitely targeted more to the younger crowd than the incredibles.

The jokes weren't as good nor was the art direction but the animation was the best so far.

The middle was a little boring and the story predictable (typical pretty boy meets pretty girl, guy becomes a better car because of girl).

The thing I wasn't expecting was that there were no humans in it. The spectators are cars, the flies on the wall are little cars etc.

At any rate it is worth watching just don't expect the humour coolness of the Incredibles. Also be sure to stay through the credits as the funniest moments are during them.

On a side note the security at this movie was ridiculous. Metal detectors, private security and you had to turn over any cellphone with a camera or the ability to record audio. I don't think they would have even minded a gun but god forbid a cellphone. They didn't find out about my phone though. To top it off they had a security guard stand at the front of the screen the whole time with some night vision device and scanned the theatre full of 80% kids to see if anyone was using a camcorder.
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Jun 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:01 PM

Are you kidding? I understand the need for security, but taking phones at the entrance is a bit over the top.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:07 PM

So. You could say it was a car-bomb?

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
Are you kidding? I understand the need for security, but taking phones at the entrance is a bit over the top.
Na I am 100% serious. It was tighter than an airport. They went through every bag even diaper bags and it was really pathetic considering it was all moms with kids. They even had BIG billboards saying that phones or camera are not allowed, to report others etc. If they would have ask for my phone I would have walked out.

I guess this is the only way studio's allow it to them show it early.

I mean why check every 1 min with an infrared to see if someone is taping? If you don't catch them right in the beginning why start taping 10 min before the end.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
So. You could say it was a car-bomb?
No it wasn't BAD at all. The story was just targeted towards kids more.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 10:16 PM

I'm boycotting the movie. Pixar has over-promoted the movie to the point of nausea. How do you know when something sucks? When it's advertised non-stop through every possible media outlet.

Whatever happened to products and services succeeding by virtue of their merit?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:21 PM

Wow. I would have walked out too if they had asked for my phone.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:32 PM

Waiting for the DVD will be no problem (unlimited rental program).

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I just got back from seeing it.

Not bad. Definitely targeted more to the younger crowd than the incredibles.

The jokes weren't as good nor was the art direction but the animation was the best so far.

The middle was a little boring and the story predictable (typical pretty boy meets pretty girl, guy becomes a better car because of girl).

The thing I wasn't expecting was that there were no humans in it. The spectators are cars, the flies on the wall are little cars etc.

At any rate it is worth watching just don't expect the humour coolness of the Incredibles. Also be sure to stay through the credits as the funniest moments are during them.

On a side note the security at this movie was ridiculous. Metal detectors, private security and you had to turn over any cellphone with a camera or the ability to record audio. I don't think they would have even minded a gun but god forbid a cellphone. They didn't find out about my phone though. To top it off they had a security guard stand at the front of the screen the whole time with some night vision device and scanned the theatre full of 80% kids to see if anyone was using a camcorder.

So if you give a solid "ok," it pretty much means it's great, just not awesome. Cool deal.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I'm boycotting the movie. Pixar has over-promoted the movie to the point of nausea. How do you know when something sucks? When it's advertised non-stop through every possible media outlet.

Whatever happened to products and services succeeding by virtue of their merit?
Yeah b/c Toy Story, Ants, Finding Nemo, Monsters INC, and The Incredibles, weren't promoted at all were they. I mean, surely they never ended up in happy meals did they.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Yeah b/c Toy Story, Ants, Finding Nemo, Monsters INC, and The Incredibles, weren't promoted at all were they. I mean, surely they never ended up in happy meals did they.
ANTZ isn't pixar.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zmcgill
Jun 8, 2006, 10:04 AM

ANTZ isn't pixar.
And don't you ever imply that again. (You're thinking "A Bug's Life")

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2006, 10:25 AM

glad to hear it's good. we're looking forward to seeing it.

pretty much all "sneak previews" are like that security-wise, the advance screening of Serenity they searched for cell phones and warned us they'd throw anyone out that was recording.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 10:28 AM

Antz was a rushed, poorly animated, poorly written rippoff of A Bug's Life. Yes, I realize Antz came out first, that doesn't mean it didn't rip off A Bug's Life.

I'll be going to Cars tomorrow night! I'm excited!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 10:30 AM

I had time to think about it and I think I know what I didn't like about it.

In the other pixar movies the settings are from an interesting unknown enviroment.

Toy story (the perspective of toys)
A bugs life (a bugs eyed view)
Monters inc (a totally weird and new environment)
Finding Nemo (life underwater)
The Incredible (the life of superheros with nifty supervillan headquarters)
Cars (cars on a road)

Since there is no humans in it there is no view of what it is like to be a car serving humans nor do they show anything we don't know already about cars. They need new tiers/gas etc. It is pretty much cars driving down a road and a race in the beginning and end. You can see that every day in real life. 90% of the movie is the cars in a small town conversing.

Also the pixar movies have typically always had a big spectacular action sequence at the end involving an adrenaline packed rescue. All of them but cars.

The race at the end is much like the one in the beginning but anti-climactic and short.

The characters aren't half as strong as in the other movies either. The main character is overconfident and cocky, his woman is cookie cutter nice girl. The strongest character in the movie is the hick car which is definitely cute. The cars despite being different models and colours all look and move the same. In contrast to that you don't find any similar characters in the other movies.

They show a trailer for Pixars next movie Ratatooie which is about a rat living in a french restaurant which looks cute but they don't give much info.

The short infront of the movie was the best so far to me about 2 one-man-bands competing for a coin from a little girl. Top notch.

Again, Cars is a good movie, it just doesn't make you connect as much or is anywhere as memorable as the previous film.

For 8 year old boys it is just about the best movie ever made though and if that is what they wanted to target they did their job. It just won't be as enjoyable for adults like the other movies.

On a sad note it seems one of the people who worked for Pixar died last year. Not sure what his roll was but he was the voice of Himlich the caterpillar from Bugs life.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 8, 2006, 10:51 AM

I liked Antz. I also liked A Bug's Life.

I think I'm going to hold off on Cars for now. It's the first one so far that based on the trailers, I don't have any desire to see. There's a lot of other movies I want to see.

Actually, the one I want to see first is District 13. By all accounts the plot is just stupid, but the action rocks.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I liked Antz. I also liked A Bug's Life.
I thought I like Antz and even got the dvd. Watching it AFTER having seen a bugs life makes ANTZ look like it was made by Microsoft.

Dreamworks has ADMITTED they can't beat Pixar in quality. They said the way to beat them is by pumping out movies more and faster (and more celebrity voices).

I developed the website for a company that helped ANTZ beat Bugs life to the theatre. Dreamworks approached them for special co-operative computing software with the requirement that they had to beet Bugs to the theatre. (The same company also helped AMD reach the 1GHz mark before Intel). Have you guys seen Robots? WORST 3D movie ever!!! It looked nice though but everything else was horrid.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 11:03 AM

Well, while I don't think Antz was as good as A Bug's Life, I still think it was a pretty good movie. I thought Robots sucked royally though. Actually, I don't even remember what happens in the movie, and I only saw it last year. I found it hard to pay attention in Robots.

Again, Cars is a good movie, it just doesn't make you connect as much or is anywhere as memorable as the previous film.
Jobs sold Pixar just in time?

zmcgill
Jun 8, 2006, 11:09 AM

Well, while I don't think Antz was as good as A Bug's Life, I still think it was a pretty good movie. I thought Robots sucked royally though. Actually, I don't even remember what happens in the movie, and I only saw it last year. I found it hard to pay attention in Robots.

Jobs sold Pixar just in time?
Jobs selling pixar ruined it?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Jobs selling pixar ruined it?
No he means since this movie isn't as good as the others it is a good thing he sold it.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 AM

SPOILER!!!

Here is the story if anyone wants to know. Don't read it unless you want to know what the movie is about.

The story is about a car named Lightning McQueen. His is a fancy racecar that is overconfident. In the race in the beginning he is in a 3 way tie. To break the tie they schedual a race in California a week away.

On the way there he accidentally end up in a small town and everyone thinks he is missing. When he first arrives he destroys the road by mistake and is sentenced by the sherrif car to fix it before he can go.

Over his 3+ days in the town he is at first rude and unwilling to make friends. But in that time he falls in "love" with a porsche and the townfolk. The town was once a busy town but since the new freeway was built it is deserted and the townfolk depressed.

He also finds out the judge car is a famous race car from the 50's and is now just a grumpy old man.

At the end he goes to the final race (won't tell you if he wins), gets the girl, makes the grumpy car un-grumpy, the town busy again and everybody happy.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 11:26 AM

On a side note the security at this movie was ridiculous. Metal detectors, private security and you had to turn over any cellphone with a camera or the ability to record audio.
What theater did you go that had you turn over your cell phone. One perspective is that no cell phones rang during the move

zmcgill
Jun 8, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
No he means since this movie isn't as good as the others it is a good thing he sold it.
I know...and I meant that maybe it would have been better if Jobs had kept it...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
What theater did you go that had you turn over your cell phone. One perspective is that no cell phones rang during the move
This is Toronto, which is why I'm a bit surprised. As for cell phones ringing, I haven't heard that in a while, cuz now before every movie there is a trailer telling us why cell phones are bad.

I know...and I meant that maybe it would have been better if Jobs had kept it...
Well, the movie was pretty much finished long before the sale.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000

It was in Toronto. Normally they never do something like that and they seemed to be taking only more advanced cellphones. My friends 6 year old Nokia they let her keep

Mine, I snuck it.

But considering the theatre was 80% kids and moms I would have preferred cellphones ringing as those kids were loud and a pain in the ass.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 11:33 AM

This is Toronto, which is why I'm a bit surprised.
Just to be clear this was NOT a security check for weapons of any kind.

They clearly said to me "Do you have any devices that can recored audio or video or a cellphone". The signs all over the place said the same. They were not looking for weapons.

All the other theatres that were playing movies had no security as they were not advance screenings.

zmcgill
Jun 8, 2006, 11:33 AM

Well, the movie was pretty much finished long before the sale.
But Steve's golden touch surely could have made the release better, right?

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

This is Toronto, which is why I'm a bit surprised. As for cell phones ringing, I haven't heard that in a while, cuz now before every movie there is a trailer telling us why cell phones are bad.
Yeah we have the same type of warnings but people ignore them. Very inconsiderate.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 11:52 AM

And don't you ever imply that again. (You're thinking "A Bug's Life")
My bad , that's what I meant.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 12:48 PM

I'm planning to watching it tomorow. I have never wacthed a Pixar animated film at the cinema, I only watched them on DVDs. Anyway, you mentioned about the security check. Was it just this movie or at the door? They never checked my stuff anywhere in the cinema.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm planning to watching it tomorow. I have never wacthed a Pixar animated film at the cinema, I only watched them on DVDs. Anyway, you mentioned about the security check. Was it just this movie or at the door? They never checked my stuff anywhere in the cinema.
Again it was JUST the one theatre not all of them and it was JUST because it was an advance screening. They don't want the movie on the street 2 days before it hits theatres.

zmcgill
Jun 8, 2006, 01:45 PM

Again it was JUST the one theatre not all of them and it was JUST because it was an advance screening. They don't want the movie on the street 2 days before it hits theatres.
A day after's fine though.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 11:57 AM

Shucks, so far it is the lowest rated Pixar movie by at least 20%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10004076-cars/

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 12:05 PM

My friend was amused when I called this a Red State movie.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 12:48 PM

Oh wait, I found out what the problem is. It was rendered on Dells:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=92075

zmcgill
Jun 9, 2006, 12:53 PM

At least the Dells were running Linux.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Antz was a rushed, poorly animated, poorly written rippoff of A Bug's Life. Yes, I realize Antz came out first, that doesn't mean it didn't rip off A Bug's Life.
I actually still like Antz better.

that's the only Dreamworks movie I like better than any of the Pixars, though.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 01:43 PM

Is there an animated short before the movie, as with other Pixar releases?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
Is there an animated short before the movie, as with other Pixar releases?

Yep:

"The short infront of the movie was the best so far to me about 2 one-man-bands competing for a coin from a little girl. Top notch."

Wasn't one of the movies missing a short?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I actually still like Antz better.

that's the only Dreamworks movie I like better than any of the Pixars, though.
I liked Shrek better than Monsters, Inc. It was close though.

BTW, I saw District B13 yesterday (instead of Cars). As expected, the plot was stupid, but the action was very good. Still, I was a little disappointed, because I expected more action than it had. Think Ong-Bak in a way, but in French with better acting and less annoying voices, and less action.

My GF actually gave it an 8/10, even though she doesn't usually like violent movies.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 04:24 PM

The trailer for the next Pixar movie is up:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/ratatouille/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 04:45 PM

I have tickets to go see Cars tonight.
Since the first teaser that gave an idea of what this movie was about, I haven't had all that high hopes, but I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

I'm excited for the short film before it.

zmcgill
Jun 9, 2006, 04:46 PM

Jury's out on that one, hopefully it will be good.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 04:56 PM

Not sure what to make of Ratatouille yet. But I never am after the first trailer. I remember being scared that I wouldn't like Monsters, Inc. after the first trailer. Boy was I wrong!

Ratatouille looks cute, but I'm not sure how the story could be all that compelling. But I trust in Brad Bird.

In other news, I see Cars tonight at 7:15 with my wife... can't wait!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

zmcgill
Jun 9, 2006, 05:01 PM

It's interesting how everyone in Paris speaks English, but in a heavy french accent.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 05:08 PM

It's interesting how everyone in Paris speaks English, but in a heavy french accent.
Well ya but really what do you expect for a kids movie? Sub-titles?

At any rate in the movie Enemy at the gates the germans had american accents.

zmcgill
Jun 9, 2006, 05:25 PM

Well ya but really what do you expect for a kids movie? Sub-titles?

At any rate in the movie Enemy at the gates the germans had american accents.
Same as every Bond movie.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 05:29 PM

Same as every Bond movie.
Er no, they have german or russian accents.

zmcgill
Jun 9, 2006, 05:37 PM

well the idea is that they speak english...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 07:15 PM

It was great. The short film, One Man Band, which played before the film was good as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules