Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > freezing problems

freezing problems
celfie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 07:40 PM

Hi

I've been having some problems and i am wondering if they are related or fixable

it all started during a moving accident where my powerbook g4 15" aluminum was dropped. i figured the harddrive was damaged so i replaced it.

basically, what was happening and what continues to happen is

1) often, following the loading screen during boot, the os freezes on the solid blue screen, not even loading the desktop image
2) when it actually does load the OS properly, i will get a popup message informing me that the clock has been reset to a weird date in the 70s
3) when actually using the OS, often, the loading icon will just pop up, freezing the application for a few seconds. for example, i could be typing in a url to safari, and it will just freeze for about 5 seconds as if it is loading something.
4) i dont kn ow if this is worth mentioning but when i dont have the powercord in, the computer will often shut down - i am assuming that my battery could be defective

i ran the full hardware test on the restore cd and it didnt report any hardware problems

i have 768megs of ram and it is a brand new macosx 10.3.9 install

does anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2007, 10:20 PM

wow the dropping part is what makes me think something got jarred pretty good beyond the HDD. given that thats an older model you might consider 'cutting and running' and picking up a new one or at least a used one that hasn't been dropped if you can afford it.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

celfie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 11:54 PM

yea, that's what i am afraid of. when it fell, it kind of landed on the screen - which thankfully didnt sustain damage beyond a small black splotch on the bottom left. i might just take it to the shop to see if it can be diagnosed - i was just hoping for some more information before going that route. hopefully what i have can be salvaged! never did i feel my heart sink into the soles of my feet like it did on the day my powerbook fell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules