Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > MS Office vs Mac Office vs Bootcamp vs Parallels vs Fusion

MS Office vs Mac Office vs Bootcamp vs Parallels vs Fusion
kevin_in_ms
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 10:34 AM

Sorry for the long title...

Here's the deal:

I am a mac virgin. I just purchased a new iMac and am waiting for it to arrive. I have a copy of Office (full version to include Access (which I don't use)) and can get a copy of parallels. The thing is, I don't need to run Windows but for one application (a monogram application for my wife that isn't written in Mac format as of yet). So, the $1,000,000 question is this:

Which way would you go if this was your situation? Would you install parallels and the office version I have? Would you go with bootcamp, would you buy Office for Mac, etc???

Thanks,
Kevin

***EDIT***
I just found this thread http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...allels-fusion/ but didn't see an answer for it. This is the exact program I am referring to that I have to run in Windows.
( Last edited by kevin_in_ms; Jul 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: New Information)

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2008, 11:07 AM

Things have advanced quite a bit in 18 months, so Parallels or Fusion may just work for you. If you have a version of Windows to install, both Parallels and Fusion have free, fully functional trials.

Personally I'd get a copy of Mac Office, then use Fusion for the embroidery program. If it doesn't work through virtualization (the term for what Parallels and Fusion do to make Windows run on the Mac), then your only other options would be to keep a PC around for it, use Boot Camp to boot into Windows, or keep a cheap PC but set up for Remote Desktop. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

kevin_in_ms  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks for that update. I have a laptop right now that the program is already installed on and can run just fine on it. The desktop that I am replacing the iMac with will be wiped clean and given to the kids for school, etc...

So, I don't really NEED to run any windows apps on the iMac, but wanted to have "everything in one place" so to speak.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Kevin

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:11 PM

Install Parallels or VMware for the Windows app (ignore whatever besson3c says about the freetard alternatives... they're not ready for use by newbs) and buy Mac Office 2008 unless you really like the look and feel of the Office version you already own.

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by kevin_in_ms View Post
Thanks for that update. I have a laptop right now that the program is already installed on and can run just fine on it. The desktop that I am replacing the iMac with will be wiped clean and given to the kids for school, etc...

So, I don't really NEED to run any windows apps on the iMac, but wanted to have "everything in one place" so to speak.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Kevin
Parallels or Fusion should suffice in that case for running other Windows apps if you find the need. Like mduell says you can get Mac Office 2008 if you want or stick with whatever Windows Office version you have if you're willing to run it while using Parallels or Fusion.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2008, 07:29 PM

FWIW I went with vmware on the bootcamp partition plus win XP SP3 for quickbooks 2008, IE and the occasional game, then mac office since I don't need/want to boot into windows that often.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

kevin_in_ms  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks...

The issue now is finding a copy of Windows XP that isn't an arm and a leg...I thought I was through with MS screwing me

I think I am going to go with Fusion, Mac Office and Windows XP (provided I can find a "cheap" copy).

Thanks,
Kevin

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2008, 05:28 PM

I am a mac virgin. I just purchased a new iMac and am waiting for it to arrive. I have a copy of Office (full version to include Access (which I don't use)) and can get a copy of parallels. The thing is, I don't need to run Windows but for one application (a monogram application for my wife that isn't written in Mac format as of yet). So, the $1,000,000 question is this:

Which way would you go if this was your situation?
Since you already have a copy of MS Office, I'd try Sun's free VirtualBox. You can't use a BootCamp volume with VirtualBox, but since you don't have any plans to boot directly into Windows, this is the cheapest way.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 09:41 PM

The issue now is finding a copy of Windows XP that isn't an arm and a leg.
$90 at Newegg

kevin_in_ms  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the linky to newegg...

The first review said that this was OEM, meant to be sold with new computers and that the product key wouldn't work. MS told the reviewer that he would have to purchase a new copy...

Kevin

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2008, 11:54 PM

VirtualBox is worth looking at first before spending money on VMWare/Parallels.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2008, 12:15 AM

The first review said that this was OEM, meant to be sold with new computers and that the product key wouldn't work. MS told the reviewer that he would have to purchase a new copy...
OEM licenses of XP are transferable from computer to computer; you can only install it on one computer at a time (license restriction, not technical restriction), but if you need to reformat or something you're fine (you may have to call MS to activate, but they'll give you the code). It sounds like that reviewer wanted to install it on two computers (or told MS that) and MS informed him (correctly) he'd need to buy another copy (just like you should for OS X upgrades on two machines).

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the linky to newegg...

Kevin
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
OEM licenses of XP are transferable from computer to computer; you can only install it on one computer at a time (license restriction, not technical restriction), but if you need to reformat or something you're fine (you may have to call MS to activate, but they'll give you the code). It sounds like that reviewer wanted to install it on two computers (or told MS that) and MS informed him (correctly) he'd need to buy another copy (just like you should for OS X upgrades on two machines).
There are a few OEM discs that DO seem to require the specific manufacturer's hardware. For example, most Dell-labeled OEM XP discs are sold with the understanding that they require a Dell computer to work-though I haven't ever tested this on the two or three I've bought (I have a couple of Dells around the house). The story I hear is that there's something in Dell's BIOS that identifies it as a Dell, and this could simply be their rather unique BIOS version naming scheme... Of course I see these XP discs selling for $15 each, so I think that if they worked on just any hardware the vendor would charge a LOT more.

So anyway, if you're concerned, it would be a good idea to simply ask the vendor if they have had any reports of the particular OEM disc giving people problems on arbitrary hardware.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2008, 05:27 PM

They aren't actually. It's in the license that you can't transfer it to a new computer.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There are a few OEM discs that DO seem to require the specific manufacturer's hardware. For example, most Dell-labeled OEM XP discs are sold with the understanding that they require a Dell computer to work-though I haven't ever tested this on the two or three I've bought (I have a couple of Dells around the house). The story I hear is that there's something in Dell's BIOS that identifies it as a Dell, and this could simply be their rather unique BIOS version naming scheme... Of course I see these XP discs selling for $15 each, so I think that if they worked on just any hardware the vendor would charge a LOT more.
And that's not what Newegg is selling.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2008, 08:28 AM

And that's not what Newegg is selling.
Nope. I doubt any online vendor has such discs. I've only seen them at computer shows, with vendors that "second source" (buy refurbs and resell them) Dells. I guess I could have pointed out that these discs are quite rare and not likely to be found in an online search.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules