Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Considering a Mac Mini for the kids. Please help...

Considering a Mac Mini for the kids. Please help...
USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 07:29 PM

My two daughters (5 and 6) recently had their PC fry itself, commit suicide, whatever. Point is, it's dead. I told their mom I'd take care of it.

Is a Mac Mini a good computer for such a use? My gut says yes, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions? Do any of you have Minis at home that are used by children? If so, what is your experience?

Thanks.

Not sure if I put this in the right forum.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 07:52 PM

What exactly did your kids do to the PC? Also, what will the kids be using this computer for?

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by USNA91 View Post

Is a Mac Mini a good computer for such a use? ...
What use?

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 08:30 PM

Well, they enjoy learning programs such as I Spy and such. I'm wanting them to have it as a learning tool.

As for the PC, it just died. It was a cheap POS.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 12:22 AM

for the next few years i would recommend a late model g3 imac. very cheap on ebay and lots of learning games available on os9. cute, colorful and rugged.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
for the next few years i would recommend a late model g3 imac. very cheap on ebay and lots of learning games available on os9. cute, colorful and rugged.
Good lord, why on earth would you recommend a g3 imac and OS 9? Only for the incredibly budget-minded/masochistic.

Answer to OP: yes, the Mini is a good computer. It's not the best deal in the world, to be frank (no keyboard or mouse included, you know) but it's a decent price for a Mac. If you can, you may want to hold out until the Core 2 Minis, which are due probably in the next few weeks and will be up to 30% faster, but if you can't hold out, it's not going to be a huge difference.

You also might want to consider the $999 17" Core 2 iMac if you're going to end up buying a new keyboard and mouse anyway -- beautiful machine, iSight, keyboard & mouse, etc.
( Last edited by lookmark; Nov 10, 2006 at 03:09 AM. )

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by lookmark View Post
Good lord, why on earth would you recommend a g3 imac and OS 9? Only fit for the incredibly budget-minded/masochistic.

Answer to OP: yes, the Mini is good computer. It's not the best deal in the world, to be frank (no keyboard or mouse included, you know) but it's a decent price for a Mac. If you can, you may want to hold out until the Core 2 Minis, which are due probably in the next few weeks and will be up to 30% faster, but if you can't hold out, it's not going to be a huge difference.

You also might want to consider the $999 17" Core 2 iMac if you're going to end up buying a new keyboard and mouse anyway -- beautiful machine, iSight, keyboard & mouse, etc.
i recommended what i did based on what the original poster said he wanted to use the computer for and the ages of the children involved. if the girls were older my response would have been different. five year olds don't care what os they use, but they are impressed by cuteness. and yes, there are still lots of educational games and programs still out there for os9.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

magneticpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 04:16 AM

Ya, the mini's are great. Just make sure you get one with the duo core chip so you can run windows. There are a lot of websites and programs that are not compatible with OSX.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 08:56 AM

Does Windows run decently on the new duo cores?

I ask because I spotted quite a few great deals on eBay for G4 iMacs...

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 10:39 AM

you can see from my signiature i have a g4 imac. the swivel screen can be great if both kids are looking at the screen at the same time, however lcd screens have narrower vewing angles. the latest models have usb 2.0. the early models are dual boot (9 & x) not trying to be rude, but if you want to run windows why don't you just get another windows machine?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 12:33 PM

Never said I wanted to run Windows. I was replying to the statement above my last post.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, the Mini will run Windows without a hitch. And it gets my official vote for your little girls.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 02:27 PM

get an emac. they're almost kid-indestructable. a mini might get picked up, thrown, things jabbed in the cd slot, etc... an emac, something happens, just pull out your windex.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
get an emac. they're almost kid-indestructable. a mini might get picked up, thrown, things jabbed in the cd slot, etc... an emac, something happens, just pull out your windex.
i forgot about those things. PERFECT for kids.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

selowitch
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
i forgot about those things. PERFECT for kids.
Yes, too heavy for them to lift, but ... make sure you take measures to they can't pull it off the table and onto their little limbs and extremities. Other than that, it's true — they are very hard to kill.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 11:48 PM

Well, I got my hands on a G4 iMac with all the trimmings from eBay. $600 delivered. 17" screen, keyboard, mouse, sound system, 1GHZ CPU, 80GB HDD, 1GB RAM. Not bad at all.

I can load a good bit of software I already have as well as find everything they'll need for the conceivable future. Boy, are THEY going to be surprised!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Forum Links
Forum Rules