Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Amidst all the gripes...

Amidst all the gripes...
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 09:07 PM

I have to say, Leopard is pretty nice. Nothing bad happened, and it is REALLY FAST! Of course, I completely wiped and reinstalled. And didn't use migration assistant. I'm not too ecstatic about any one feature. Nothing has wowed me. Time machine's cool, but yeah. I mean, I probably won't be using it that much. Spaces has less value to me than Stacks and is really starting to piss me off. Like I want to be whisked off to another space just to have an iChat. So I turned it off.

So, overall, nothing awesome about it, but absolutely nothing bad about it, and it is definitely an improvement over Tiger.

Just my $0.02.

Oh, and I saw one of the new iMacs and a wireless aluminum keyboard in person today. WHOA, I'm in love

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2007, 09:10 PM

no gripes, Leopard works great for me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 09:14 PM

Love Leopard (Quick Look is fantastic), still hate the current iMacs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 09:16 PM

Have you seen them in person, though? I hated them too, but the 24" is GORGEOUS in person!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 09:24 PM

Yeah, I've seen them in person many times. I really don't like glossy screens. Even ignoring the color fidelity thing, looking at a display gives me enough of a headache without a random light blinding me when I move my head just so.
Chuck
___

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 10:27 PM

It actually didn't bother me at all. In my work setup, it wouldn't be an issue, and the colors were just sooo nice. I was also in the presence of a 30" Cinema Display... underwhelming.

Cover Flow unfortunately is impractical for me, I wanted to use it, but all my folders are folders within them... Icon view is how I roll.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Spaces has less value to me than Stacks and is really starting to piss me off. Like I want to be whisked off to another space just to have an iChat. So I turned it off.
I had the same attitude a few weeks ago. Then I learned to tweak spaces, and now I'm addicted!

iChat (or Adium), for example, is set to appear in all spaces so my chats are always there for me. The iTunes controller is also set to appear in all spaces.

But Yojimbo gets its own space -- since I always have it open but only need to go to it every so often. DVD Player has its own space so it can stay in full screen all the time and I can easy pop over to another space when I need to get to something else in a pause. iPhoto gets its own space too so when I edit a photo in an external app like PSElements I don't have to shuffle windows. Etc etc etc

Combined with Expose I find myself a lot more organized and easier to multitask than ever before. I don't have to shrink a whole bunch of windows and then play the dock guessing game when I need to find the right one again.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
So, overall, nothing awesome about it,
Quicklook is awesome.

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 02:40 AM

I concur. No more waiting forever for M$ Word or Excel to load just because I want to quickly look at some information in a document.

And Time Machine has already saved my butt once, and I’m sure it will in the future, since I’m a bit of a dolt.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 02:44 AM

The Networking upgrades are awesome and worth the $$ all by themselves. I don't have a single regret about upgrading on release day and haven't run into a single noticeable bug, even.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 03:11 AM

I was one of the lucky ones whose system became hosed upon installing Leopard. And I refuse to accept the fanboy response of "you should have done an archive and install". If a standard upgrade is gonna trash a system, it shouldn't be an option. I ended up starting from scratch with a fresh install. Sadly, Leopard is noticeably slower on my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz with 2GB RAM. The window animations stutter slightly when activating spaces and when minimizing to the dock. Tempted to revert to Tiger but I truly like the new look and feel of Leopard.

PaperNotes
Nov 24, 2007, 05:17 AM

All I can say now after 2 weeks is that I find it hard to use my Tiger machine. Spaces and QuickLook have been great productivity tools. They're as important as Exposé.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I was one of the lucky ones whose system became hosed upon installing Leopard. And I refuse to accept the fanboy response of "you should have done an archive and install". If a standard upgrade is gonna trash a system, it shouldn't be an option. I ended up starting from scratch with a fresh install. Sadly, Leopard is noticeably slower on my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz with 2GB RAM. The window animations stutter slightly when activating spaces and when minimizing to the dock. Tempted to revert to Tiger but I truly like the new look and feel of Leopard.
Weird. I've got the same system with half the RAM. Upgrade worked fine and it doesn't stutter. I don't suppose you had any old Logitech drivers or Rogue Amoeba stuff or anything, did you?
Chuck
___

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 12:02 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot that RAM is SOOO much more efficiently used. I had like 20 programs open, and had half my RAM free. (1 GB out of 2)

And yeah, QuickLook is awesome.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 01:07 PM

I am having the opposite experience regarding RAM, that is until 10.5.1. Purely anecdotally, I think the RAM issues from 10.5.0 were fixed in .1 update.

However, thanks to Ben Byer et al.'s work on the embarrassingly broken version of X11.app and related Xquartz that shipped with Leopard, all is well for me.

Admittedly, I like all the visual changes, once I got rid of the transparent menu bar and changed the dock resources. Anyone know of a login panel logo mod yet? Doesn't seem to work the same way as Tiger's.

Edit: nevermind, I just found it. Unless it's already out there, I'll post some details soon.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Weird. I've got the same system with half the RAM. Upgrade worked fine and it doesn't stutter. I don't suppose you had any old Logitech drivers or Rogue Amoeba stuff or anything, did you?
This is a fresh install with almost nothing installed. No funky plugins or anything like that.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
This is a fresh install with almost nothing installed. No funky plugins or anything like that.
Even with current machines, I hate all those animations. I think the free version of Cocktail gives you some options to remove a lot of them.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 01:38 PM

OK, I figured out Spaces, and like you said, I now love it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules