Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VST expansion

VST expansion
esuebrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 09:12 PM

want to backup my system folder or hard drive and think I would need a VST 10 GB expansion drive that I hear everyone talking about, but cant seem to find it.
just went to the www.smartdisk.com site mentioned in another thread, and still cant find it... all I seem to see are firewire.. I have a pwbk 400 bronze lombard 20 HD/ 512 RAM..... not using firewire although I do have it. Is there a non firewire HD on that site that anyone knnows about ??? (as you can tell I really have little knowledge of what I am even talking about here. - and what an expansion drive really is (beyond the photo). I assume it works like a zip drive except larger. could someone please help me? and direct me to the exact place whaere I can find one ?

thanks

sue

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2002, 04:03 AM

Well, the sad news is that they crashed the price on those hard drives so they could get rid of the extra inventory and remove the product from their stock.

You'll have to get one on eBay if you still want it.

PeteWK

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 10:04 AM

My company is a reseller of VST/SmartDisk and we are out too. We've also been told they are gone. Sorry.

jvoelzow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by esuebrown:
<STRONG>...Is there a non firewire HD on that site that anyone knnows about ??? (as you can tell I really have little knowledge of what I am even talking about here. - and what an expansion drive really is (beyond the photo). I assume it works like a zip drive except larger. could someone please help me? and direct me to the exact place whaere I can find one ?

thanks

sue </STRONG>
An expansion bay drive slips into the side port (the "expansion bay") of your PB, like the CD player does (or the battery, for that matter).

You can buy a hard drive of whatever size you want, wherever you want to buy it (check &lt;http://eshop.macsales.com/&gt; for instance), and you can get an expansion bay case to put it in at &lt;http://store.powerbook1.com/&gt;, which is MCE.

I have two IBM 20s (that I removed from my Pismo due to excessive noise) in MCE expansion bay cases (which are called "Xcaret Pro Media Bay Hard Drive").

Now that I have a TiBook, I use an external "MCE Firebay" to still use those drives in their cases--the Firebay is a receptacle that duplicates the expansion bay of the PB in that it accepts expansion bay drives used by the G3 (works with Firewire Pismo too so you can use multiple drives at once).

I can not only still use the hard drives from the Pismo, but also the ZIP and the SuperDrive/Floppy expansion bay drives.

Jim

esuebrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2002, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by jvoelzow:
<STRONG>

An expansion bay drive slips into the side port (the "expansion bay") of your PB, like the CD player does (or the battery, for that matter).

You can buy a hard drive of whatever size you want, wherever you want to buy it (check &lt;http://eshop.macsales.com/&gt; for instance), and you can get an expansion bay case to put it in at &lt;http://store.powerbook1.com/&gt;, which is MCE.

I have two IBM 20s (that I removed from my Pismo due to excessive noise) in MCE expansion bay cases (which are called "Xcaret Pro Media Bay Hard Drive").

thanks, Jim!

Sue

Now that I have a TiBook, I use an external "MCE Firebay" to still use those drives in their cases--the Firebay is a receptacle that duplicates the expansion bay of the PB in that it accepts expansion bay drives used by the G3 (works with Firewire Pismo too so you can use multiple drives at once).

I can not only still use the hard drives from the Pismo, but also the ZIP and the SuperDrive/Floppy expansion bay drives.

Jim</STRONG>

cElls
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by esuebrown:
<STRONG> I have a pwbk 400 bronze lombard 20 HD/ 512 RAM..... not using firewire although I do have it.</STRONG>
Are you sure it's a Lombard? Lombards don't have FireWire, they have SCSI. Pismos (which look exactly the same, but it says PowerBook on the front, instead of PowerBook G3) have FireWire though.

esuebrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by cElls:
<STRONG>

Are you sure it's a Lombard? Lombards don't have FireWire, they have SCSI. Pismos (which look exactly the same, but it says PowerBook on the front, instead of PowerBook G3) have FireWire though.</STRONG>
~~~~~
thanks for asking, just in case..... yes it is a lombard (bronze).....no firewire in back...... I should have said I have some firewire card thing that came with it that goes into the slot on the left side... that's what I meant by firewire, although I've removed it for the time being as I couodnt see any thing I'd want to do with at present.

sue

esuebrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2002, 03:12 PM

oops! just got the yellow "posting on the wrong forum notice" sorry ! actually I really didn't even give it a thought that it was in the wrong forum when I posted it. will do better next time !

sue

Forum Links
Forum Rules