Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Record HDTV from cable box

Record HDTV from cable box
fischej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2015, 02:50 PM

Briefly: I want to use EyeTV software on my Mac to record the HDTV signal coming from the HDMI port on a Time Warner Cable digital-to-analog converter.

Details: I have an EyeTV 250 which I have used for years to record the analog signal my cable system (TWC) provided, using the EyeTV software. TWC recently switched to all-digital, but provided digital-to-analog converters to anyone who didn't have a set-top box. I ran the analog signal from the DTA into my EyeTV 250, and all worked as before. Now I want to record HDTV. The DTA has an HDMI output as well as the analog (coax) output, so it effectively acts as a set-top box for non-premium channels (which are all I have). What else do I need to record HDTV? A new box between the DTA and the EyeTV software (i.e., replace the EyeTV 250)? If so, Elgato no longer sells this type of equipment in the US. They refer inquiries to a company named Silicon Dust, but I can't figure out which of their products would enable the capability I'm looking for.

Smokerz
Mar 1, 2015, 01:21 PM

but very hard to find. Check micro center for a city near you. HDMI is not going to get it.
You need a set top box with composite out. You need El Gato EyeTV HD. Current cost is $199.00 very hard to find. Not made anymore but there are some around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules