Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good Multi-Function PCMCIA Memory Card (Memory Stick, xD, SmartMedia, etc.) Reader?

Good Multi-Function PCMCIA Memory Card (Memory Stick, xD, SmartMedia, etc.) Reader?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 01:54 AM

I'm looking to pick up a 17" PowerBook G4 next week and would like to reduce the number of USB devices I have to have (and allow myself to be more mobile) by finding a PCMCIA solution to read removable media cards (specifically Sony Memory Sticks, in my case). What are some available brands that make such cards that will work in our PowerBooks? Personal experiences with some of them?

Thanks so much.
Apple user since 1987

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:43 AM

funny i was looking for the same thing..

here are some ideas
http://search.ebay.com/pcmcia-reader...trypageZsearch
C2D Blackbook Week 44

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 07:28 AM

Well, it looks like quite a few different manufacturers make the product, but the question is which ones are the best (or are reliable). I've had good luck with SanDisk memory card products (I currently have their 8-in-1 USB card reader) and it turns out they make a PCMCIA reader as well. Here it is:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/pca.asp

I guess the only thing other than reliability that would be nice would be a good color match with the PowerBook G4. But I'm not sure that you're going to be able to find any PCMCIA memory card reader in a matching silver color. Anybody know of one?
Apple user since 1987

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2004, 04:31 PM

Be careful to ensure the PCMCIA card you choose supports Memory Stick Pro if you use those. I had a PCMCIA reader for MS, SM, MMC and SD, but it didn't support MS Pro, so I ended up having to get a USB reader for my new Sony camera.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules