Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5..Bad hard drive

iMac G5..Bad hard drive
Alaskamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 05:06 PM

Starting up an older (4-5 yrs) iMac G5 I get the blinking icon of a folder with a question mark. When I boot of the original install software CD and run the hardware test everything checks out fine...except the hard drive, which does not even appear.

Bad hard drive?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2009, 05:21 PM

Either a bad HDD, or it isn't there.

Sounds like an iMac G5 Rev. A - take the back off and check for a HDD and the connections.

Alaskamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 06:31 PM

I know the HDD is there, we have owned the machine since it was new, so unless someone broke into our house and stole the HDD out of our computer, and nothing else in the whole house, then it is still there.

I will open it up, check the connections, and if that doesn't solve it, probably replace it.

Thanks for you input.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskamac View Post
I know the HDD is there, we have owned the machine since it was new, so unless someone broke into our house and stole the HDD out of our computer, and nothing else in the whole house, then it is still there.
That would be a hilarious situation! But I would feel bad

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2009, 05:23 PM

G5 iMacs are great since the back just pops off revealing the internals. Why doesn't the Intel or later G5 work this way, sigh.

Flashing icon/failed drive is a fairly common combo. At least the drive is easy to replace on these.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 2, 2009, 05:37 PM

Drive could be dead, or have a serious directory error. Boot from the install DVD and jump to Disk Utility. See if the drive is visible there. Even if the formatting is damaged, the hardware icon should appear. And it might be repairable.

If Disk Utility can't see it, then you need a new hard drive.

P
Oct 3, 2009, 06:36 PM

Actually happened to me when this iMac was new. I disconnected the HD, reconnected and it was there again. I figured it for a quick fix, but it's been five years and counting and fi√˛¸üµƒ|ƒıüµµ¸|$§∞$π›√˛‹ ¸£

NO CARRIER

Sorry. Meant to say, it's been working fine ever since.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules